Skip to main content

View Diary: "Can't choose your own doctor" - What the heck does that mean, anyway? (updated) (106 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  May I ask why Medicare won't reimburse? (0+ / 0-)

    I am starting Medicare on Sept. 1 and I'm trying to ask questions. Do parts A & B cover only the most basic stuff?  Did you choose a 20% 'medigap' insurer? I don't want to. Thanks!
    All I need is Chiropractic for the moment, which IS covered after a $148 deductible, then visits are <$7.

    "He went to Harvard, not Hogwarts." ~Wanda Sykes

    Blessinz of teh Ceiling Cat be apwn yu, srsly.

    by OleHippieChick on Sun Aug 18, 2013 at 12:56:14 PM PDT

    [ Parent ]

    •  Part A only covers hospitalization, Part B (1+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:
      OleHippieChick

      covers outpatient care, I believe both cover 80% leaving the patient to pay the other 20% (and deductible), which is why many people buy "Medigap" policies (but of course, you have to pay a monthly premium for that, so it's like insurance for your co-pays).

      There's also a Part C (the "Advantage" plans which are the successors to Medicare HMO's--basically it's private insurance that covers what Medicare does. Some people can save money with these, which may include drug coverage without an additional premium for "Part D" which is Medicare's prescription coverage, which is entirely administered through private insurance plans.

      "All governments lie, but disaster lies in wait for countries whose officials smoke the same hashish they give out." --I.F. Stone

      by Alice in Florida on Sun Aug 18, 2013 at 03:14:50 PM PDT

      [ Parent ]

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site