View Diary: Kitchen Table Kibitzing Aug 18 (159 comments)

•  One time I was making kebabs (11+ / 0-)

I went thru the meat and thru my middle finger too. Right next to the bone, all the way thru. I was all alone here, there really wasn't anything to do but pull it out. I did.

I have no idea how I didn't end up with an infection. I hardly bled, I just pulled it out, washed my finger really well and put neosporin on it and a bandage and went back to work. Sometimes I surprise myself.

"Humidity built the snowman. Sunshine brought him down" John Prine

by high uintas on Sun Aug 18, 2013 at 07:15:42 PM PDT

•  had a wonderful half asian leopard cat/silver (10+ / 0-)

tabby cross (the foundation stock for the bengali (now known as the bengal) cat.

her father was totally wild - didn't tolerate humans except to sneak out to eat.  she was the same when my ex went on tour until i decided she NEEDED to be socialized - not fair to live one's life behind and under a bed.

$80 worth of chicken hearts and livers later, she would let me touch her (excluding the one DUMB time i held the chicken heart with my finger stuck inside - attached by one very large kittykanine tusk).

well, schwinne came home (i added the "e" after we broke up) and i wanted to show him how social she had become.

put my hand down in front of her face and she hissed.  left it there and she SSSSPPPAAAT!!!!

stoopidly, after she whapped me with her paw, i STILL didn't move - so she obliged my offer and sunk her teeth through my hand.

not her fault - mine.  she warned me three times!

well, i stubbornly refused to go to the doctor until my manager at wang said if i didn't go to emergency, he'd pay for it himself to get me to go.

i relented and went - and the doctor told me if the swelling hadn't gone down in 24 hrs, i was facing surgery - gave me massive antibiotics and told me to keep my hand over my head.

folks on the road thought i was the friendliest person they'd ever encountered since i drove around with my hand out the window waving high above the car.

it worked - swelling went down - and i no longer take bite or puncture wounds so cavalierly!

EdriesShop Is it kind? is it true? is it necessary?

by edrie on Sun Aug 18, 2013 at 08:03:31 PM PDT

•  I know someone who went thru the same thing (9+ / 0-)

different circumstances. Cat bites are really dangerous, they are germ central. I read that oft times in the wild cats only wound their prey, I guess that their prey aren't as compliant as the cat expects.

The wounded will get sick quickly and go down and the cat gets dinner after all. I don't know if it's true or not but my Doc told me to always take a cat bite seriously.

"Humidity built the snowman. Sunshine brought him down" John Prine

by high uintas on Sun Aug 18, 2013 at 08:12:37 PM PDT

•  yep - all kinds of bacteria in those toofies and (6+ / 0-)

pretty nails of theirs!  one of the worst type of infections, but woozles aren't exempt, either.

i ended up with "cat scratch fever" - from a woozle's dew claw after he'd been running in a pasture.

every doc thought i had mono but no swollen liver.  i remember the scratch - still have the scar on my arm - and remember it getting really infected - healed only by salt water at the beach and sunlight (didn't realize what it was at the time!)

i was sickly for over a year until it finally hit me and left me delirious for four days - then i "woke up" and said to the young assistant i had for the ballet "i'm back!'  she said i'd been out of it for a week - asked her why she didn't tell me.  she said it is because i wouldn't have believed her!

EdriesShop Is it kind? is it true? is it necessary?

by edrie on Sun Aug 18, 2013 at 09:59:38 PM PDT

•  Wow! (0+ / 0-)

A week is a long time! I had sepsis from pneumonia a few years ago and lost 3 days, I came to watching a telenovela in the hosp and thinking I spoke Spanish. That was the weirdest feeling, to have no idea what I did or said! A whole week of that! Wow again.

"Humidity built the snowman. Sunshine brought him down" John Prine

by high uintas on Mon Aug 19, 2013 at 09:34:05 AM PDT

•  Cat bites are truly dangerous. (9+ / 0-)

Oh, I used to be disgusted
        Now I try to be amused
        ~~ Elvis Costello

by smileycreek on Sun Aug 18, 2013 at 08:41:23 PM PDT

•  oh yeah! Cat bites are bad. One of the gals in the (8+ / 0-)

marina had a tv watching girls party at her house this spring and Bob The Cat was sitting on her lap - somebody made a loud noise and he freaked and bit her arm. She ended up in emergency a couple of days later and went through hell for about 6 weeks as her already messed up immune system freaked out.

if a habitat is flooded, the improvement for target fishes increases by an infinite percentage...because a habitat suitability index that is even a tiny fraction of 1 is still infinitely higher than zero, which is the suitability of dry land to fishes.

by mrsgoo on Sun Aug 18, 2013 at 08:45:09 PM PDT

•  any puncture wound needs immediate dr attention (5+ / 0-)

the risk of bacteria entering a wound that doesn't bleed is huge.

one guy i read about stepped on a nail in a watertub - he died of the subsequent infection.

tetnus shots?  keep 'em updated, folks!  and - go to the dr and get that round of antibiotics!  i don't usually tell people to take them due to developing a tolerance for certain types, but in the case of puncture wounds - they are essential!

EdriesShop Is it kind? is it true? is it necessary?

by edrie on Sun Aug 18, 2013 at 10:01:49 PM PDT