View Diary: Voting Rights Scandal in NC (19 comments)

•  I would have never thought they would be so (4+ / 0-)

downright blatant. I feel like I was here and I missed something. We went from the General Betray Us ad from Move On.org eliciting a total freak out to conservatives disrespecting the President, a governor pointing in his face, you lie,  magic anti rape sperm blockers, Limbaugh worship and fear to corporate tax breaks at the expense of blue collar workers pay and pensions and now just a disenfranchisement free-for-all. I thought those death panels health care town halls were the bottom of the barrel. Boy was I naive. They have no bottom.

And I thought Vince Foster, gate after gate and a ginned up Clinton impeachment was the worst. Then I thought Bush v Gore. They have no bottom.

Hey Republicans, you know closing precincts, cutting down early voting and draconian voter ID is immoral. Where is your integrity? Your moral compass? Your outrage? When you believe it suits you, you are at town hall meetings acting a real ass. When it does not, nary a whisper.

•  Where is the outrage? (2+ / 0-)
      wintergreen8694, UnionMade

From the general public little concern that our state's college students, for no reason other than political advantage by the GOP, are being disenfranchised.  Now we have Sen. Ellie Kinnaird (D-Chapel Hill) retiring to address the voting rights scandal.

When, pray tell, do we truly "hit bottom?"

Martha Brock Cary, NC

by mbrock49 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 at 03:48:24 PM PDT

•  I just came back from attending my town's Moral (3+ / 0-)
        DawnN, UnionMade, Chun Yang

Monday....  Little ole Burnsville NC...  It was well attended and people are mad as heck.  This won't stand in the courts.

“The comfort of the rich depends upon an abundant supply of the poor.” - Voltaire.

by LamontCranston on Mon Aug 19, 2013 at 06:16:08 PM PDT

•  Sorry I couldn't join the Grannies in Burnsville, (2+ / 0-)
          mbrock49, LamontCranston

Lamont, but glad to hear you had a good turnout. Great to see everyone getting together on the issues.

Had a Moffitt encounter at Asheville MM that proved to me that the Koch-anointed are so sure of their power that either their hubris will be the key to tripping them up - or that we are indeed doomed.

If we do not permit the earth to produce beauty and joy, it will in the end not produce food, either. - Joseph Wood Krutch

by DawnN on Mon Aug 19, 2013 at 07:21:53 PM PDT

•  The state's newspapers are speaking up (1+ / 0-)
          DawnN

Great editorial posted today by Greensboro News Record.  Check it out:

Martha Brock Cary, NC

by mbrock49 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 at 07:36:26 PM PDT

•  Good one. Hard to believe it got printed. Who owns (1+ / 0-)
            mbrock49

the paper there?

by DawnN on Mon Aug 19, 2013 at 07:54:34 PM PDT

•  If I am up late, I listen to the BBC news on ..... (1+ / 0-)
            mbrock49

my local public radio station and I was shocked to hear the second lead in story (at midnight our time) which detailed McCrory signing the "Voter ID" bill.  Talk about media coverage... The story was incredible and in great detail about the all of the negative aspects of what is now termed as "VIVA".  Their research was impressive about the details of this voter suppression travesty.

Now where is our national MSM and their coverage of what is happening??

crickets