View Diary: Bookflurries-Bookchat: Weaving a World for Readers (191 comments)

•  Yes, I can imagine (3+ / 0-)
    Youffraita, wonderful world, P Carey

there would be problems.  But maybe if there were special places where we could go to don our suits and fly. ..   :)

Join us at Bookflurries-Bookchat on Wednesday nights 8:00 PM EST

by cfk on Wed Aug 21, 2013 at 06:53:13 PM PDT

•  Did you ever have this dream (4+ / 0-)
      wonderful world, cfk, Brecht, P Carey

where you -- well, you weren't flying -- but you were falling from a great height & you could mentally stop the fall, and kind of land gently wherever you wanted to?

I don't know what it means, but it's a sometimes recurring dream of mine.

Irony takes a worse beating from Republicans than Wile E. Coyote does from Acme. --Tara the Antisocial Social Worker

by Youffraita on Wed Aug 21, 2013 at 06:56:46 PM PDT

•  Sounds lovely. (5+ / 0-)
        cfk, Youffraita, No Exit, Brecht, P Carey

My only recurring dreams are of traveling endlessly in elevators. Weird.

Support Small Business: Shop Kos Katalogue including Hero for Hire, an epic fantasy with a sense of humor by C.B. Pratt

by wonderful world on Wed Aug 21, 2013 at 07:10:20 PM PDT

•  An anxiety dream? (3+ / 0-)
          cfk, wonderful world, Brecht

I get lost on my way home...or in my home...at times of great stress, anyway. When I'm not super-stressed, I NEVER have that dream.

The floating one...I don't know what that relates to. But it's way more fun than my usual anxiety dreams.

by Youffraita on Wed Aug 21, 2013 at 07:23:03 PM PDT

•  No. Usually quite fun. (5+ / 0-)
            Youffraita, cfk, Brecht, No Exit, P Carey

Lots of people, lots of action. But then I dream in Technicolor with laugh tracks and credits.... seriously.  Like Beatrice, I often wake myself laughing.

by wonderful world on Wed Aug 21, 2013 at 07:33:11 PM PDT

•  i have occasionally had the power of fight (5+ / 0-)

in my dreams.  rarely, but, memorably.

it brings to mind my favorite part of air travel which is the take off and landing when i can see the ground up close and it feels like i'm just above ground level.

Deserves it! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends. - Gandalf the Grey

by No Exit on Thu Aug 22, 2013 at 08:02:49 AM PDT

•  Some say flying in a dream expresses confidence, (3+ / 0-)
            cfk, P Carey, RiveroftheWest

and that you feel sure the real life situation which triggered the dream is one that you'll prevail in.

Drowning or falling would express doubt: That you're in over your head, or heading for a fall.

But I think dream symbolism is extremely fluid, so I'm not convinced such interpretations are 100% generalizable.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Thu Aug 22, 2013 at 11:24:57 AM PDT

•  I dunno, Brecht. (3+ / 0-)
              Brecht, cfk, RiveroftheWest

All I know is, in those dreams, I'm gonna fall...and then something kicks in, and I am able to parachute down w/out a parachute. I'm floating. I'm falling, yes, but slowly, and at my own pace. Mentally I am controlling the fall so it is in SLO-MO. Not a fall at all.

Not a CLUE where those dreams come from. The anxiety dreams? Oh, I totally know where they come from, and why, and even a shitty job keeps them away from me.

But the slo-mo fall, fun ones? Wow. I don't think even Freud discussed them.

by Youffraita on Sat Aug 24, 2013 at 01:28:04 AM PDT

•  Do you also know that you're dreaming at the time? (2+ / 0-)
                cfk, Youffraita

If so, you're lucid dreaming. But what you're talking about is not the same as lucid dreaming, but merely overlaps it.

"The anxiety dreams? . . . even a shitty job keeps them away from me."

My commonest anxiety dream is that I find myself sent back to school, only now I'm several years older than my classmates. But it's years since I had that one. I seldom remember my dreams.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Sat Aug 24, 2013 at 04:25:28 AM PDT

•  James Riddell wrote a book called "Flight of (1+ / 0-)
                cfk

Fancy" about a 6-month trip with writer Nevil Shute, in a single-engine airplane. He wrote memorable descriptions of dreams in which he was flying. Not falling, just flying through rooms... he could hover like a hummingbird, even stop and talk with people. He seemed to have those dreams regularly; I always wondered what prompted them.

It could be confusing when he'd be describing something, and then suddenly he was flying and you were there along with him....