View Diary: It's my birthday (169 comments)

•  Jesus Christ folks. I had my ass beaten in school (8+ / 0-)

on a daily basis and I find this funny. It's a frikkin' cartoon - it's not an op-ed advocating for child violence or bullying.

“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.” Terry Pratchett

by 420 forever on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 03:32:45 PM PDT

•  Agree (5+ / 0-)
      grover, 420 forever, djtyg, TacoPie, dennis1958

People here take their seriousness to seriously

•  Some folks don't understand that comics aren't (8+ / 0-)

supposed to be taken literally.

In fact, that's often the point: to mock, belittle or otherwise ridicule the subject matter.

This comic, the way I see it, is Keith mocking his own frustration with fatherhood.

Recall this comic and another or maybe this when he was obviously excited to have a baby on the way?

Now he's showing that amazing miraculous babies grow up to be independent and defiant little kids; and that the excited naive dad we knew gets frustrated and grumpy like virtually all parents do.

I wish I had a dollar for every time one of my siblings or friends said, "I'm gonna kill this kid."

Funny thing, I have never once called CPS. I just laugh, and drop by with wine, chocolate chip cookies, a DVD for the kids, and offer to babysit for a night.

It takes a village to be able to read between the lines, I guess.

© grover

by grover on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 03:56:49 PM PDT

•  How many of your friends (7+ / 0-)

watched their child go off to school for the first time and fantasized about paying someone to punch them?

•  Oh, seriously gram, (6+ / 0-)

Do you REALLY think Keith fantasizes that another kid would beat up his child?

You and I rarely disagree, and when we do, I can usually understand your perspective very clearly. But I think the statement you just made is just in the realm of unreality.

Of course Keith doesn't. It's a COMIC strip.

© grover

by grover on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 04:17:36 PM PDT

•  I have no idea why Keith (7+ / 0-)

imagined that particular scenario. I find it odd, having watched three of my own little kids (and four grandkids) go off to school, that anyone's mind would go there.

And yes, I know it's a comic strip. But ask yourself- if some frustrated husband drew a cartoon about paying someone to punch out his wife- would that be funny?

•  I do it all the time. (2+ / 0-)
              420 forever, smartalek

I have numerous very spoiled, well trained dogs. But they can be naughty, as young active dogs will do

(and I swear they like to gang up on me)

I'm always joking about returning my dogs to the pound, or putting them on the curb with a "free to good home" sign, or punting them into next week.

People who know me --and probably most who pay any attention to my posts here -- know I'd maim anyone who touched a single hair on their furry heads.

If someone heard me out of context, they'd probably get as offended as you are right now. But there's a context here. Keith has been posting here a long time, and he links to his own site, if you want to see his other work.

I dunno. I like his work. I don't read it to laugh. I read it because he makes me see other perspectives.

Keith explores thing that others won't touch. Sometimes he knocks it out of the park. Sometimes his stuff fizzles for me. But I'll defend his right to be here. He shouldn't be censored. The HRs in the TJ are absurd.

© grover

by grover on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 05:07:17 PM PDT

•  Here's one big difference, (5+ / 0-)

as I see it. If you were to post a cartoon about hiring someone to kick or punch your dog, it's highly unlikely that a dog who has been abused would see your cartoon here and be offended or triggered.  People have been upset by this "joke", and I think we should respect that.

I have a pretty broad sense of humor, but there are just some topics (rape, bullying, violence against women) that I will never find funny. I've not personally experienced any of them, but I'm pretty protective of people who have.

•  A dog's not a child (2+ / 0-)
                Old Sailor, Smoh

"[W]e shall see the reign of witches pass over . . . and the people, recovering their true spirit, restore their government to its true principles." Jefferson

by RenMin on Wed Aug 21, 2013 at 05:43:48 AM PDT

•  yeah, all that, but still doesn't mean this (4+ / 0-)
        Thomasina, Eyesbright, RenMin, Smoh

one is funny. you can be politically incorrect and be funny, you can also be PI and not funny. doesn't mean the viewer has no sense of humor

•  Where is it written that cartoons have to be (6+ / 0-)

funny?

420forever found it funny.

I just thought it was a pithy statement about life.  Keith has published comics here about suicide, and the comments screamed, "this isn't funny!"

Well, no kidding.

It's a commentary about life. Find it funny, or don't.

As I said, I see him mocking himself and others in that place in life. I simply felt compassion for where he (well, the persona in the cartoon that I don't necessarily believe to be Keith Knight himself -- the first mistake is to assume that a protagonist is ipso facto the artist) is in life.

Laugh. Feel compassion. Feel outraged that there isn't more assistance for parents who are stressed.

But let's not censor an artist for pointing out the truth that parenthood is often frustrating and difficult.

© grover

by grover on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 04:59:03 PM PDT

•  just voiced my 2 cents (1+ / 0-)
            Thomasina

sarcasm, humor are complex.
            i wouldn't dream of censoring the cartoonist.
            some of the comments seem to say that people who thought it was a stinker just didn't get it.
            my point was
            you can get it and understand it
            and still think it fell flat.

•  There's a study about this (3+ / 0-)
        djtyg, Iberian, dennis1958

called "The Irony of Satire", that basically concludes that conservatives have a hard time distinguishing satire from the real thing (and thus a lot of conservatives think that Stephen Colbert is the real thing). This article, aptly titled "Conservatives lack sense of humor" summarizes the whole thing nicely.

“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.” Terry Pratchett

by 420 forever on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 04:34:51 PM PDT

•  Tether Cat (9+ / 0-)

This cartoon suffers from something that Gary Larson discovered in his cartoon "Tether Cat".

In one of his books he mentioned the flood of hate mail he got in response to the image of some dogs playing a game of tether ball with a cat instead of the usual ball.

He couldn't believe the response. Cat v. Dog cartoons are stock and trade in the world of cartoon humor. The best he could reason is the cartoon he did left the issue unresolved. The cat could never get back at the dogs, the powerful would forever abuse the weak.

A similar problem exists in this cartoon. The bully wins. We don't take that very well, we want the underdog to get back -- even violently -- against the abuser.

Spite is the ranch dressing Republicans slather on their salad of racism

by ontheleftcoast on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 04:10:02 PM PDT

•  Also bullied in grade school (5+ / 0-)
      420 forever, djtyg, grover, dennis1958, Iberian

AND I was beat up by a girl in first grade (check out the sex of the kid he's paying off) and I also found this funny.

Happy birthday, Keith.

•  Yup (1+ / 0-)
        420 forever

with one tiny quibble: It's a question.

He's pondering: is it wrong to pay her off?

There is zero evidence that he would actually do so.

© grover