View Diary: new PSA recreates Trayvon's murder; updated with petition link (43 comments)

•  wasn't sure (5+ / 0-)

what to make of that person's comment...

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.” Buckminster Fuller

by pfiore8 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 06:55:34 AM PDT

•  Play on words? (7+ / 0-)

Or just poor choice.

It's why I didn't HR and want to give him/her the opportunity to clarify.

But the way I read it as it stands makes me angry.

All the suffering of this world arises from a wrong attitude.The world is neither good or bad. It is only the relation to our ego that makes it seem the one or the other - Lama Anagorika Govinda

by kishik on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 07:02:05 AM PDT

•  agreed (6+ / 0-)

but i try not to feed those things... unless they are so blatant.

and i usually check to see if it's a new user, but this one has been around for a while so decided to give benefit of doubt. but still, it's hard to read it in a positive way.

by pfiore8 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 07:11:38 AM PDT

•  Not related but... (7+ / 0-)

Someone at work that I know lost on a grievance she filed through the union that should have gone the EEO route, but she opted to pursue her complaint through her union.  She lost the grievance, but I reminded her that the loss doesn't negate the absolute and proven actions against her.

Te trial found Zimmerman not guilty of those charges presented against him, but it doesn't negate that he killed Trayvon...  Nor did it state he was found not guilty based on self defense claims.

That anyone on this site believes that Zimmerman had every right to shoot and kill Trayvon based on self-defense arguments boggles my mind.

by kishik on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 07:20:45 AM PDT

•  Yes, there are plenty of false memes repeated to (8+ / 0-)

tarnish the memory of a boy that was killed.  By false meme, I mean ideas that have some truth but that are distorted to promote something opposite to the truth. Here are a couple:

GZ was a good guy, a hero. ("Detective" Serino said so.) false

Using binary thinking then, Trayvon Martin was the bad guy. If Trayvon Martin was the good guy, then GZ was the bad guy & white cannot ever be bad. If whites are bad then by extension all the things that white people have done to ___ (insert protected Civil Rights category: Blacks, women, gays, immigrants) are bad. This thinking gives cover for many who feel guilt about their privilege.

GZ was a victim although he had the deadly weapon, likely drawn. False.
            To those I'd like to add that the prosecution made a major error in totally accepting that Trayvon in any way started or participated in a fight, other than to defend himself.

“In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it … we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.” - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

by DefendOurConstitution on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 07:48:46 AM PDT

•  It also didn't help that the police didn't (2+ / 0-)
              pfiore8, DefendOurConstitution

investigate the crime either. Kid's dead and there is not crime apparently. They didn't fucking call his parents.

Just another dead negro because a good negro is a dead negro.

It is open season on our menfolk.

Everyone who doesn't believe that can go to the fcuking devil, don't care how "liberal" you are, because white privilege wins.

FUCK law enforcement and fuck the law.

nosotros no somos estúpidos

by a2nite on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 10:37:24 AM PDT

•  it is open season on (2+ / 0-)
                a2nite, DefendOurConstitution

most of us ordinary people. i'm a white woman, and i know this: an attack on any innocent person is an attack on all of us.

i am so heartbroken that another American says this and with reason: "it's open season on our menfolk."

it is overwhelming, truly. i'm still reeling from Zimmerman walking out of that courtroom a free man. i sobbed like a baby. i finally had to admit out loud that the world i knew was gone... that the country i was proud of was gone.

we need to stick together. all of us. black, white, brown, red, yellow... the frogs and trees and polars bears too. all of us earthlings have to stick together.

i am so sorry for all of us.

by pfiore8 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 10:54:54 AM PDT

•  This is why I came up with this quip in response (1+ / 0-)
                  pfiore8

to the voter suppressionID laws:

First they suppressed the African-American vote,
                      I am not African-American so I didn't speak up.
                      Next they suppressed the Hispanic vote,
                      I am not Hispanic so I didn't speak up.
                      Next they suppressed the students' vote,
                      I am not a student so I didn't speak up.
                      Next they suppressed the Asian-American vote,
                      I am not Asian-American so I didn't speak up.
                      Next they suppressed the women's' vote,
                      I am not a woman so I didn't speak up.
                      Next they suppressed the LGBT vote,
                      I am not LGBT so I didn't speak up.
                      ...
                      By the time they came to suppress my vote,
                      there was nobody left to speak up.
                  (as if anyone really needed a reason to fight for everyone's right to vote or for equal protection/justice for all!)

by DefendOurConstitution on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 12:51:30 PM PDT

•  His comment is not HRable, reprehensible - yes, (6+ / 0-)

offensive - yes, but not HRable.  We do, after all, protect freedom of speech even if it means having to put up with offensive behavior. I am certainly tired of so many offensive comments that are posted here, but the way to deal with them is to either:
        1. Ignore them completely, or
        2. Respond to them forcefully and with facts

Maybe it's because of my new sig line that I got yesterday, but today I am in the mood for #2.

by DefendOurConstitution on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 07:23:51 AM PDT

•  That's what I was referring to when I answered (8+ / 0-)

your other comment above, there are some people (even among Daily KOS) that routinely equate any firearms regulation with oppression of Blacks, women, LGBT, etc.  When faced with the fact that many reasonable regulations are in fact a violation of no one's rights (constitutional or other) they quickly respond with false comparisons to actual Civil Rights violations like these:

One said: "two words: Selma, Alabama" and posted a video of MLK marching in Selma in order to explain how firearms regulations are no different than the violation of the Civil Rights of Black Americans.

Another one compared violations of gay rights to implementation of firearms regulations when bragging that just like the LGBT people, the RKBA people are winning the war.

And finally the same commenter above:

Because gun control is the equivalent pro-life movement on the left pro-life movement on the left. It's not about reducing harm, it's about making an absolute moral statement. Guns (like abortion) are held to be a pure social evil, their advocates wicked (or deranged, or atavistic, or sexually insufficient) and mitigating harm-reduction measures are allowable only insofar as they advance incrementalism toward prohibition.
      I have spoken out and will continue to speak out about these facile comparisons to actual Civil Rights (rights of people that have been truly trampled on) to the plight of the oppressed gun owners. FTR I fully support every American's right to legally own a firearm and I always have, but that is in no way inconsistent with sensible firearms regulations like getting rid of SYG laws, licensing or registration - none of which violate any right. I find it very offensive that every time I ask certain people to tell me how any of the firearms regulation above violate any right they always respond with BS like that.  I have nothing against gun owners, but the rights of gun owners are advanced aplenty (so much so that they have gotten more SYG and concealed carry laws passed since Newtown than laws that have been enacted).

by DefendOurConstitution on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 07:18:53 AM PDT