View Diary: Michael Hastings used drugs hours before his death (75 comments)

•  Ok, I've read further. (1+ / 0-)
    joanneleon

Coroner said likely marijuana use within hours of the crash.  His buddy said they smoked some weed the night before.  Makes sense.  Again, zero concern if that's indeed the case.

The Ritalin thing came from 3 years prior when he was involved in a accident while testing positive.  Not relevant.

Family members claim he was using DMT.  One does not "use" DMT like you do with most drugs of abuse.  It's a once in a while thing with a trip that lasts minutes, and then it's gone.  DMT didn't show up in any bloodwork, and again would be of zero consequence to the wreck.

Amphetamines showed up, but those were probably not used at the time of the wreck.  If they were, the effects produced by amphetamines would cause wakefulness.  Abuse of amphetamines would cause something closer to mania, but even then I'd have little concern when compared to the effects of a few beers.  Coroner didn't say amphetamines were likely within hours of the wreck, only pot within hours (likely the night before).

My take?  The drug use thing is being sensationalized.  These drugs had nothing to do with it.

"So what if a guy threw a shoe at me!"

by FoodChillinMFr on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 08:59:22 PM PDT

•  your take is noted (4+ / 0-)
      second gen, BlueJessamine, erush1345, Sylv

Your definitions of the words "zero", "effects", "concern", "consequence" and many more are anathema to the reading of the law and medical science of the day.

Ask yourself if you would want someone driving your child around who meets all of the above descriptions.

Global warming & smoking cigarettes = Nothing to worry about? Those who deny climate science are ignorant, evil or worse. Google Fred Singer.

by LaughingPlanet on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 09:08:35 PM PDT

•  Absolutely. (0+ / 0-)

I take adderal on a daily basis, and used to indulge in marijuana.

Would I let someone drive my kid around who has •traces• of amphetamines and/or pot in his blood?  If I trusted the him/her and knew they were •sober• (as it appears Hastings was) then why wouldn't I allow my kids to be driven by him/her?

A recreational drug user doesn't scare me as long as they are responsible and sober while driving.

"So what if a guy threw a shoe at me!"

by FoodChillinMFr on Wed Aug 21, 2013 at 01:07:37 AM PDT

•  If he was high on pot, (0+ / 0-)

he would have been doing 35 mph.

What we need is a Democrat in the White House. Warren 2016

by dkmich on Wed Aug 21, 2013 at 03:44:34 AM PDT

•  do you actually have children? (0+ / 0-)

I think most parents, as in over 95%, would not share your views.

by LaughingPlanet on Wed Aug 21, 2013 at 09:27:32 AM PDT

•  Yes. 2 beautiful kids and wife right next to me. (2+ / 0-)
            LaughingPlanet, BlueJessamine

That's a hard question to answer (and a bit loaded).

Where would you draw the line?  Someone on prescribed Xanax for anxiety?  Someone taking prescribed painkillers regularly?  Someone with narcolepsy or ADHD taking a prescribed stimulant?  Someone who ingests or smokes cannabis for chronic pain from cancer?

If the person is used to the drug and not abusing it, why couldn't they drive (assuming they drive safely and have a clean record).

Where would you draw the line?  Maybe I'm a little more trusting, but we've made it just fine so far.

"So what if a guy threw a shoe at me!"

by FoodChillinMFr on Wed Aug 21, 2013 at 12:47:08 PM PDT

•  Fair enough (2+ / 0-)
              BlueJessamine, FoodChillinMFr

I try to be charitable with regards to recreational drugs. The war on drugs has made most Americans overly paranoid about those who use them.

I think the middle ground is the best place to be n the topic. "None" is absurd/untenable and happens to be the law for the most part.

"Some" is more dangerous than many drug users/abusers care to admit.

"Wasted" is a very serious issue and far too many people ruin innocent lives driving impaired.

I do feel that many prescription drugs should require not driving while using them. Xanax is a good example of one that can be abused/dangerous very easily.

Again, I am a long-time marijuana legalization activist.
              Someone who ingests or smokes cannabis for chronic pain from cancer is a tricky one indeed. Even most vocal marijuana activists acknowledge driving stoned slows reaction time.

I am glad it is not my job to make the decisions raised by your comment.

by LaughingPlanet on Wed Aug 21, 2013 at 01:05:49 PM PDT