View Diary: Markos! Shut Down Your Website! (224 comments)

•  Well, what if we all trade in our (2+ / 0-)
    jbou, avsp

tatty old screen names for brand new ones?

I think the problem, though, goes beyond dkos. Basically what you're saying is, 'people believe what they want to believe,' isn't it? Which is true, in my experience.

My preferred solution is that we allow users to pretty radically customize their experience of dkos. (At the very least let us hide diaries with any tag we choose.) So we can encourage the creation of sub-cultures within dKos, with some degree of unity and overlap with the 'main' dKos culture, but also with a great deal of autonomy. In other words, we can embrace diversity within the site, in terms of structure, instead of insisting on uniformity.

Let people spend their time in their own neighborhoods. If I'm pro-suchandsuch, let me hang with other pro-people, and we can brainstorm ways to enact suchandsuch. If I'm against, I'll hang with the antis, and we can brainstorm about that.

Different 'neighborhoods' might sometimes (I bet more rarely that we might expect) work at cross-purposes, but such is progressivism. As long as we're all part of the larger movement, let us stop knocking pyramids against those of people with whom we disagree, and start working with people with whom we agree.

The idea has not been gently received. MOre gently than yours, though!

"Gussie, a glutton for punishment, stared at himself in the mirror."

by GussieFN on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 10:22:59 PM PDT

•  so it's the episode of the Brady Bunch... (3+ / 0-)
      GussieFN, grover, avsp

where the kids put up tape to divide their room?

We are still working within a party that has grown too big for its tent. The moderate Republicans had no where to go and we ended up absorbing them. There are some serious philosophical differences between the different wings of the party, and if we can't count on the party to represent us then why are we in the party? I say let's get to uniting the like minded and see who lands where.

I sing praises in the church of nonsense, but in my heart I'm still an atheist, demanding sense of all things.

by jbou on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 10:33:37 PM PDT

•  More like the fact that (2+ / 0-)
        jbou, avsp

they have different rooms in the first place. (Er, at least some of them do. Been a long time since I've watched the Brady Bunch!) They don't all sleep in the living room, with Mrs. and Mr. B one couch and Alice and Sam on the other.

We don't need to be in each other's faces all the time.

We're in this party because it represents us better than any other party. And we work to make it represent us even better in the future. With mixed results.

You might be right about the party, but I'm talking about the website.

"Gussie, a glutton for punishment, stared at himself in the mirror."

by GussieFN on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 10:41:48 PM PDT

•  the website, like the party, has... (3+ / 0-)
          Remediator, GussieFN, avsp

quite a few moderates.

And the three girls share a room and the three boys share a room. Greg tries to take his dad's den as his room but that doesn't work out and then he ends up in the attic. I watched too much Brady Bunch as a child.

"Mom always says never play ball in the house"

by jbou on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 10:46:23 PM PDT

•  "I watched too much Brady Bunch as (2+ / 0-)
            jbou, avsp

a child."

It could as easily be that some of the rest of us didn't watch it enough.

That one kid who wound up in the attic.  Never watched the show, but I kind of trust him automatically.  There's a sort of in-home exile vibe to that.  A couple years later, when he's in high school, he might not be the most popular kid.  But he might offer by far the most inspired conversation.

•  My favorite episode was when... (9+ / 0-)

they told Cindy to stop snitching. Cindy is the youngest of the three girls, she's a cute little blond girl who told on her friends and siblings too much. So she was taught the code of the streets from her mom and dad. It still kills me to this day that Mike and Carol were preparing her to survive in prison and on the streets.

I can hear Cindy say " Mom always says Snitches get stitches" with her cute little lisp as she skips away from the cops.

by jbou on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 10:59:41 PM PDT

•  jbou, this is what I'm talking (4+ / 0-)
                jbou, grover, avsp, MRA NY

about.  The good writing.

There are people out there in offices every workday of the week who can barely write a post-it note.

You passed those folks on the way up.  You can do zen summary, you can do the hootchie kootchie in the Kipling Room.

It's just jarringly good writing.  If you post more diaries on a variety of topics, quite a damn few of us will read them.

"...as she skips away from the cops" indeed.

•  Funny. (5+ / 0-)
                jbou, Remediator, kurt, avsp, MRA NY

Every time I walk into one of the NSA diaries and the topic of conversation is Glenn Greenwald, I think of the "Marsha, Marsh, Marsha" episode where Jan is so tired of hearing about everything Marsha has done.

Mike and Carol try to convince Jan she's important even though Marsha is all anyone talks about.

And I think yup, that's pretty much it.

© grover

by grover on Wed Aug 21, 2013 at 12:09:32 AM PDT

•  There's a whole goldmine of comedy... (4+ / 0-)
                  Remediator, grover, avsp, MRA NY

in the moral lessons taught to us by sitcoms of the past.

by jbou on Wed Aug 21, 2013 at 12:12:51 AM PDT

•  Except Three' Company. (2+ / 0-)
                    jbou, avsp

The only lesson there is mix-ups happen; then they get resolved.

Actually, I lie. The other lesson is that we need to be really careful what sort of dangerous alternative "health" espousing quacks our society propels to stardom.

That too.

© grover

by grover on Wed Aug 21, 2013 at 12:30:10 AM PDT

•  That's fine with me. I -am- a moderate! (1+ / 0-)
            jbou

It's just that the party's expanded far enough rightward that I find myself stuck with you swivel-eyed loons.

"Gussie, a glutton for punishment, stared at himself in the mirror."

by GussieFN on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 11:09:58 PM PDT