View Diary: He was a great dog (44 comments)

•  Sounds like an awesome dog (16+ / 0-)

A neighbor of mine has a Great P, and I always wonder who's walking whom.

So sorry for your loss.  Even knowing you did the absolute right thing, it still leaves a mark.

I'll believe corporations are people when one comes home from Afghanistan in a body bag.

by mojo11 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 at 10:22:08 AM PDT

•  honey is rather short, (8+ / 0-)

so when he walked her, it was a sight to behold.
      damn, I am still tearing up.

What we call god is merely a living creature with superior technology & understanding. If their fragile egos demand prayer, they lose that superiority.

by agnostic on Wed Aug 21, 2013 at 10:37:28 AM PDT

•  And you probably will for a while. (7+ / 0-)

But the good part is that at some point, you'll be able to remember the happy parts without the sadness.  Dogs are just that way.  They give a lot more than they take away when they go.  They just go too soon.  Always, too soon.

We could learn a lot from dogs.

by mojo11 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 at 10:53:13 AM PDT

•  how true. (6+ / 0-)

Two great dogs in the past year, both of them favorites in different ways. Anyone who claims dogs have no personality are either idiots, or never had a furry family member. At least the rescue humvee puppy (appropriately named Titan) reached 11, perhaps more. Rescue dogs are just so attached once they feel at home. According to Miss Vet, Byron was about 70+ in dog years.

Luckily we still have a baby girl rescue pup, who knows something is wrong, or missing. But at 80 lbs, she is really tiny.

What is strange is how your eyes expect to see him in his favorite places. The house seems emptier, quieter, quite sad, even. When I sat down, he often would come next to me and demand a rub or a scratch. We literally looked eye to eye when sitting.

They are family, and they do go too soon.

by agnostic on Wed Aug 21, 2013 at 11:58:32 AM PDT

•  I'm dreading the day (4+ / 0-)

He won't be the first one, but my Lab mix Tonka turns 11 in November, and realistically he can probably be expected to have at most 2 or 3 years left to him.  I've had him since he was born; his mother was a rescue I was fostering.  I could hold him in one hand with space all around when he first arrived. Now he's as gray in the beard as I am (almost), and he's not quite as quick as he was as a pup, but he's still in good shape as far as his vet and I can see.

They are absolutely family, as much as any bipedal member.

by mojo11 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 at 12:05:47 PM PDT

•  Very sorry for your loss. (8+ / 0-)

It hurts, no matter if it's "time." Thinking of you.

•  many thanks. (3+ / 0-)
        carolanne, rlharry, WakeUpNeo

if you have the means the best way to do something about it is to go rescue a dog or cat. or at least go to a rescue center and offer to walk and play with one or two. that human touch means so much to us and the animal.

by agnostic on Wed Aug 21, 2013 at 11:59:59 AM PDT

•  I have 2 cats now, (3+ / 0-)
          agnostic, rlharry, WakeUpNeo

brothers, from a shelter. All my cats have been either rescues or from shelters except for one who was from a litter a friend's cat had. The friend found homes for all of them.

I've had only one dog of my own - a corgi - and she was a purebred from a local breeder. This was awhile ago, and I admit to being ignorantly nervous about adopting a dog from a rescue center.

I don't really want another dog, but I do love them. I'm afraid my heart might break if I spent time walking and playing with them at a rescue center (something I didn't realize could be done). But it's something to think about - thanks for mentioning it.

Again, condolences to you on your loss.

•  both of our rescue pups have been (3+ / 0-)
            carolanne, rlharry, WakeUpNeo

better than fantastic. There is an adjustment time, but once they realize this is home, and they get exercise, regular meals, and playtime, they respond incredibly well. Perhaps we've been lucky, but their joy and love were limitless.

by agnostic on Wed Aug 21, 2013 at 04:08:16 PM PDT