View Diary: What's Happenin'? ☮ ♥ ☺8.28.13 (49 comments)

•  limited intervention "comically futile." (11+ / 0-)
    Joshua Foust, former intelligence analyst for the Pentagon, calls limited intervention "comically futile."

Gulf states who have been supporting rebel forces, want to see the regime dealt a blow sufficient to topple it. But hobbling the regime runs the risk of empowering rebels who, Foust says, are dominated by radical groups. "The people being armed are scary, the worst people are getting money," he argues. "The people controlling territory are all Islamists, they're the only ones left at this point."

There is the wider regional consequence to consider as well. Israel, concerned it would be the target of Syrian retaliation to a U.S. military strike, says it would respond "with force" of its own.

And there is Iran. Alongside reports that Iran has sent thousands of its Republican Guard to beef up Syrian military ranks, there are now accounts that members of the Corps are manning Syrian chemical facilities. Should they also become collateral damage in the wake of a U.S. military strike, it will open another front in the conflict, and Obama's Syrian conundrum becomes even more byzantine.

"Who are these men who really run this land? And why do they run it with such a thoughtless hand?" David Crosby

by allenjo on Wed Aug 28, 2013 at 06:38:24 AM PDT

•  the real elephant in the room... (10+ / 0-)

is probably russia.  putin reacted badly to the saudi's mixture of carrots and terrorist threats, and there is a pretty good chance that putin will not take this sitting down.  obama better start looking into putin's soul, i guess, because despite the impressive military force mounted to make a half-assed assault on syria, there is the potential for a very serious counterforce.

on the other hand, i would imagine that mic profiteers and pnac jackals are probably wetting their pants in joyous hopes of reviving the cold war.

i'm part of the 99% - america's largest minority

by joe shikspack on Wed Aug 28, 2013 at 06:56:46 AM PDT

•  Limited intervention, (6+ / 0-)

surgical strikes, waging war to bring peace, yadda, yadda, yadda...  None of that means a durn thing.  It is all about the money trail and killing people to keep the MIC rolling in the dollars.

"Growing up is for those who don't have the guts not to. Grow wise, grow loving, grow compassionate, but why grow up?" - Fiddlegirl

by gulfgal98 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 at 08:18:49 AM PDT

•  Hope was all we had (6+ / 0-)

I was talking to my son in Europe this morning and discussing this. He said, sounds just like George Bush and Iraq war. We both agreed and that things just have not changed much. (which is really fu*king sad).

Anne Feeney's 2009 song comes to mind, about asking President Obama, "who are you and what did you do with the man I voted for?" "the country still needs that man I voted for."

But sadly, that man was a big con artist, big time con artist.

Hope was all we had during the bush years, and there isn't much of that around these days.

by allenjo on Wed Aug 28, 2013 at 08:42:45 AM PDT

•  The sadness (2+ / 0-)
          allenjo, ek hornbeck

On a day I had been looking for as a celebration of equality, I only find sadness in who Obama turned out to be.
             I'm done being angry. I have the strength to pull myself back up. I won't let him degrade my hope in having respect for ALL, celebrating that diversity.
             I had looked at your profile a while ago & copied & pasted, *"We are tired of war," he said. "We don't want it anymore."*
              At 62, the strength I have always held onto is Europe. THEY are moving forward with green energy.

March AGAINST monsatanOHagentorange 3/25/13 a time warp

by 3rock on Wed Aug 28, 2013 at 10:29:58 AM PDT

•  yes, when I spoke with my son in Europe (2+ / 0-)
            3rock, ek hornbeck

the yearning to move back there was strong.

If my house would stop losing value, (and all the vacant foreclosed houses on my street would go on the market and get sold, long wait there) and I could sell, I would.

Yes today should be a day of celebration, not a day of dealing with another imminent war.

We are tired of war," he said. "We don't want it anymore.
            That was said by a Taliban fighter surrending some years back, and echoes my sentiments exactly.

I marched against the Iraq war and will march against this one too.

by allenjo on Wed Aug 28, 2013 at 10:52:50 AM PDT

•  Posted early... me & tabs... (1+ / 0-)
            ek hornbeck

Later I was doing something else, the ditz that I am, pasted and

*"We are tired of war," he said. "We don't want it anymore."*
            appeared again, which brought a smile to my face. Not that I am against a NATO response to chemical weapons.
               In the above comment I was going to bold, degrade
                Now that he has taken division (breaking his oath to sep. of church & state) where this is going who knows?
                When Snowden stood up with "I don't want to live in a country where..." I with no standing stood up.
               I am tired of skullduggery.
                                   SHAME