View Diary: I'm a liberal and I love Ted Cruz (103 comments)

•  There is a difference (6+ / 0-)

between "legacy" and "only got in because of legacy". Usually about 1.5 points on the high school GPA.

Economics is a social *science*. Can we base future economic decisions on math?

by blue aardvark on Thu Aug 22, 2013 at 04:22:58 PM PDT

•  That's true, but they stand a better chance (2+ / 0-)
      blue aardvark, Aunt Pat

than not to be admitted to those schools because their parents are alums.

I resent that. I demand snark, and overly so -- Markos Moulitsas.

by commonmass on Thu Aug 22, 2013 at 04:24:16 PM PDT

•  Ridiculous thing is focusing on undergrad school (7+ / 0-)

Of course, these days when parents fight to get their kid into the right nursery school, it's not close to the most ridiculous thing.

There isn't much difference in the quality of an undergrad education between good state schools and Ivy league schools.

look for my eSci diary series Thursday evening.

by FishOutofWater on Thu Aug 22, 2013 at 04:30:24 PM PDT

•  And it depends on major (4+ / 0-)

If you want to major in engineering you'd be quite a bit better off at Michigan or Illinois than Harvard.

Economics is a social *science*. Can we base future economic decisions on math?

by blue aardvark on Thu Aug 22, 2013 at 04:31:44 PM PDT

•  Don't forget Northwestern or Purdue either. Wisco (0+ / 0-)

nsin is decent for engineering too. I wouldn't bother with O How I Hate though. MIT is in the former crowd too.

While not all republicans are bigots, all bigots are republicans.

by Maximilien Robespierre on Thu Aug 22, 2013 at 05:05:52 PM PDT

•  There are lots of programs not even offered by (2+ / 0-)
          blue aardvark, Tonedevil

Ivy League schools. If you are in a very specialized type of science, you go where the programs and researchers are located. But, some people would still have us believe that their generic Ivy League degrees are inherent superior.

I think people like Cruz hide behind the historical prestige of his expensive private schools. But, look at his actual reasoning abilities. He's really just a professional bullshiter who likes to quibble and debate people like everything's just a giant game at the debate club. But, he doesn't seem capable to reaching logical conclusions based on legitimate evidence.

Just doing my part to piss off right wing nuts, one smart ass comment at a time.

by tekno2600 on Thu Aug 22, 2013 at 08:41:00 PM PDT

•  tekno - in addition to his academic record Cruz (0+ / 0-)

was a national champion debater in college at Princeton, which why that's his style. One of our most revered FP writers here actually debated him in college, and was very impressed.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 08:44:45 AM PDT

•  I'm sure Cruz is an impressive debater, VC. (1+ / 0-)
              VClib

But, even as just a very amateur debater myself, having done Lincoln-Douglas, Policy Debate, and Impromptu, I can say that debate skills are different than reasoning abilities. So, I was just trying to draw that distinction.

Generally good debaters are actually very good quibblers, harping on minute details regardless of whether they are really important or not. With good rhetorical skills, a person can flummox opponents, score points, and make people look bad without ever really getting to the heart of the matter being discussed. In fact, you're supposed to be able to debate any side of an issue, so it doesn't even matter if you really believe the position you are debating or not. It's really just a game of verbal gymnastics. That's why I said I think Cruz is a professional bullshiter who likes to treat everything like it's just a giant game at the debate club.

by tekno2600 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 09:57:19 PM PDT

•  I agree. My brother went to Ivy League schools. (4+ / 0-)

I went to a minor state school and did my graduate work at European conservatories. Both of us are well educated.

I resent that. I demand snark, and overly so -- Markos Moulitsas.

by commonmass on Thu Aug 22, 2013 at 04:38:19 PM PDT