View Diary: Update - Windows 8 + TPM 2 = Backdoor (52 comments)

•  I don't know enough to have an opinion on the (1+ / 0-)
    AaronInSanDiego

security issue but, just to say,

Black Hat 2010
    Isn't that, like, ancient history?

Are you suggesting that vulnerabilities haven't been addressed over the course of 3 years?

To play devil's advocate -- How likely is it that TPM 2 addressed the flaws from 2010 and there has been no similar compromise since then?

Righteousness is a wide path. Self-righteousness is a bullhorn and a blindfold.

by Murphoney on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 03:37:45 AM PDT

•  I'm still looking for those answers. (1+ / 0-)
      sviscusi

Philosophically speaking, I am one of those people who still believes in the concept of a personal computer.

I also have a problem with a technological fix that can brick the computer due to an error or a cosmic ray flipping a bit. I'm told that's the number one source of "soft" errors these days.

Once the electronics industry had determined how to control package contaminants, it became clear that other causes were also at work. James F. Ziegler led a program of work at IBM which culminated in the publication of a number of papers (Ziegler and Lanford, 1979) demonstrating that cosmic rays also could cause soft errors. Indeed, in modern devices, cosmic rays may be the predominant cause. Although the primary particle of the cosmic ray does not generally reach the Earth's surface, it creates a shower of energetic secondary particles. At the Earth's surface approximately 95% of the particles capable of causing soft errors are energetic neutrons with the remainder composed of protons and pions.[2] IBM estimated in 1996 that one error per month per 256 MiB of ram was expected for a desktop computer.[3] This flux of energetic neutrons is typically referred to as "cosmic rays" in the soft error literature. Neutrons are uncharged and cannot disturb a circuit on their own, but undergo neutron capture by the nucleus of an atom in a chip. This process may result in the production of charged secondaries, such as alpha particles and oxygen nuclei, which can then cause soft errors.

Others have simply gotten old. I prefer to think I've been tempered by time.

by Just Bob on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 03:46:17 AM PDT

•  Any encryption service (2+ / 0-)
        Just Bob, Hey338Too

has the ability to 'brick' a drive because of error.  Luckily there are various ways to backup the key securely.  You're over thinking this it, TPM at it's heart is a hardware encryption authentication module.

•  No, I'm not over thinking it. (1+ / 0-)
          sviscusi

TPM has already caused problems for people.

Others have simply gotten old. I prefer to think I've been tempered by time.

by Just Bob on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 06:27:30 AM PDT

•  You expicity mentioned (0+ / 0-)

the fear of a device bricking because of a flipped bit caused by cosmic rays.  That fear isn't the exclusive domain of devices which utilize TPM.  It's a problem with all whole drive encryption systems.

On the upgrade issue, I also don't know why you're putting so much stock into literally one random person with a problem on the internet.  It sad that there exists this single person who 15 months ago lost data because of a bug in a product but those are the dangers in using a pre-release version of software.

Here's basically what it boils down to, this is FUD.  You've overstated the problem.  There is one alleged instance in which a computer was damaged by Windows 8 and TPM and it's a very unique situation that included using a non stable, non release candidate O/S on a laptop that was suffering from a manufacturer error.

•  I suggest you google (0+ / 0-)

(windows 8) upgrade brick

if you think only one person has had this problem.

Others have simply gotten old. I prefer to think I've been tempered by time.

by Just Bob on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 08:20:33 AM PDT

•  You don't get it, he didn't lose data. The entire (1+ / 0-)
              Just Bob

computer was permanently bricked.  As in throw it away and buy another one (or have the entire motherboard replaced).  Let me repeat that, there is no way to wipe the entire system and restore from backups you have to buy a new computer.  How many whole drive encryption systems render the hardware permanently non-functional if there is a problem?

You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

by Throw The Bums Out on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 08:34:56 AM PDT

•  And let me be clear (1+ / 0-)
            Just Bob

I'm not accusing you of FUD, the articles author on the other hand.

•  It's an arms race that can never be won (0+ / 0-)

Obama: self-described Republican; backed up by right-wing policies

by The Dead Man on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 06:48:09 AM PDT

•  that's likely true -- my only point is (0+ / 0-)

that victory can't be suggested by noting one three-year-old salvo, sans mention of response nor follow up.

Righteousness is a wide path. Self-righteousness is a bullhorn and a blindfold.

by Murphoney on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 09:10:45 AM PDT