View Diary: Books Go Boom!   'Elizabeth Costello' - J. M. Coetzee on the Problem of Evil (54 comments)

•  Thanks for the Nabokov tips. Short stories might (7+ / 0-)

be the perfect place to dive in.

I think I've kept away from him because of his enormous cleverness. Lolita's all I've read that I really felt the heart in. And his Russian Literature Lectures, in another fashion, had much heart.

But I can see so many writing skills there, and the ambition. So if I read a collection of short stories, and found many small and perfect hues there, that might dissolve my wariness, and enchant me a little to try more.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 08:55:20 PM PDT

•  It's definitely NOT a good gateway, (7+ / 0-)

but I've taught "Lance" a few times and it never fails to move me, tremendously.

But... it takes a lot of work.  The students always hate it on first read, because damn, for such a short story (six or seven pages), it is dense, and it seems unnecessarily elliptical and confusing.

It's a stunning work, though.  Poetic allegorical science fiction:

Deep in the human mind, the concept of dying is synonymous with that  of  leaving  the  earth.  To  escape  its gravity  means  to  transcend the grave, and a man upon finding himself on another planet has  really  no  way  of  proving  to himself  that  he is not dead-- that the naive old myth has not come true.
      Full text here.

Saint, n. A dead sinner revised and edited. - Ambrose Bierce

by pico on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 09:01:49 PM PDT

•  dense, seems unnecessarily elliptical & confusing (4+ / 0-)

Yep, that sounds like the Nabokov I know and . . . admire from a distance.

But seven pages of dense just takes some chewing. And Poetic allegorical science fiction works. Thanks.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 09:43:28 PM PDT

•  Part of the problem with getting into (4+ / 0-)

Nabokov is that he's usually parodying two or three other works of literature, so if you haven't read those, you might be missing ... everything.

That's true of a lot of writers, but most (I'm thinking Borges here) are more generous about letting the readers in to roam freely.  Nabokov's work can feel a little constrained by comparison.  Take "Music", one of his best and most popular short stories.  It's fine enough.  But you really need to have read Tolstoy's "Kreutzer Sonata" first.

By the way, a really good short story for unlocking a lot of Nabokov's work is "Signs and Symbols", and the full text is here.  It's less superficially difficult than most of his work, but it's the most heavily analyzed, because it involves his most frequent obsessions and yet no one seems to have "solved" it successfully.

Saint, n. A dead sinner revised and edited. - Ambrose Bierce

by pico on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 10:37:36 PM PDT

•  I just started "Signs and Symbols". Like it muchly (4+ / 0-)

but I'm to bed soon, and up early tomorrow. I'll save it for later, when I shall savor it.

I've long enjoyed Borges' "Collected Fictions". Recently read "Selected Non-Fictions". I was impressed at the huge collection of eclectic titles he'd read by the time he was 20. And it was interesting to see, in his reviews and thought-pieces, how many of his later story ideas he was starting to work out.

Also, recently reread Library of Babel. At his best, Borges has a gemlike brilliance, each detail mentioned starting ripples in the reader's imagination.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 11:14:11 PM PDT

•  I prefer the short stories... (5+ / 0-)

Deserves it! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends. - Gandalf the Grey

by No Exit on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 10:01:31 PM PDT

• Congress (26)
  • Law (25)
  • Science (24)
  • Education (24)
  • Texas (23)
  • Barack Obama (22)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site