View Diary: Tennessee church takes extreme stance against love (267 comments)

•  Tell it to MLK, Tutu, Mother Theresa. (8+ / 0-)

No idea--even Christianity--is so good that it cannot be perverted by humans.

The Ridgedale Church of Christ is motivated by their version of Christianity. But MLK, Desmond Tutu, Mother Theresa were also motivated by Christianity.

San Diego Mayor Bob Filner is a Democrat. This does not make all Democrats dirty old sex harassers.

Please broaden your perspective.

"The true strength of our nation comes not from the might of our arms or the scale of our wealth, but from the enduring power of our ideals." - Barack Obama

by HeyMikey on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 01:29:15 PM PDT

•  Sadly Your List Has Been Replaced. (6+ / 0-)

Please broaden your prospective to include today's reality.

Those past Christian Leaders have all been replaced with Rick Warren, Pat Robertson, Fred Phelps, Bryan Fischer, James Dobson, Tony Perkins, Don Wildmon, Franklin Graham, Scott Lively, and Bill Donohue.

By all means fill the collection plate and party like it's 1970.

"I think that gay marriage is something that should be between a man and a woman.” - Arnold Schwarzenegger 2003

by kerplunk on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 02:25:41 PM PDT

•  Also, it's looking like Teresa isn't the (8+ / 0-)

saint she was made out to be.

•  Look beyond the "leaders." (5+ / 0-)

Christians--motivated by Christianity--are working to house and feed the poor of Haiti, educate girls in Pakistan, house and educate AIDS orphans in Africa, get children in Thailand and America out of the sex trade, and pay the rent and light bills of unemployed Americans.

I know the guy who founded this organization. His theology is too conservative for me. But he and those working with him feed people, clothe them, keep their lights and water on, and support an orphanage in Africa. They do these things because they view them as the call of Christ.

I agree with you 100% that the hate that comes from some people who call themselves Christians is shameful. But the good that other Christians do is no less motivated by Christianity.

by HeyMikey on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 02:49:54 PM PDT

•  I Don't Believe All The Good That You Purport (0+ / 0-)

Christians do overcomes the horrific hate preached regularly.

I also don't see any Christian organization speaking out against the type of stuff that we are seeing in this Tennessee Church.  Why is that?  Silence speaks volumes.

The reason other Christians don't speak out is because they harbor similar hate in their churches.

by kerplunk on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 04:19:24 PM PDT

•  So you're seriously not hearing (1+ / 0-)
              Cassandra Waites

the voices of Christians on Daily Kos arguing against this sort of thing?

http://callatimeout.blogspot.com/ Jesus Loves You.

by DAISHI on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 04:33:01 PM PDT

•  If they did speak out (3+ / 0-)
              Vetwife, schnecke21, Cassandra Waites

where would you expect to hear it?
              They do, but the main stream media doesn't report it, and the right wing media certainly wouldn't admit it.  As I said before, look for "The Christian Left".

•  Speaking as someone who grew up in (5+ / 0-)

the Southern Baptist church, whose family still attend (and believe me, no one adheres to Christian doctrine more than the Southern Baptists), I know all about those charitable trips abroad and local outreach.  In the church, they are called "missions,"  because all those charitable acts come with a tsunami of preaching.  Charity for the sake of charity, compassion for the sake of compassion, is not the point of the outreach.  The purpose is spreading the word and making converts.  I'm pretty sure that's the basic purpose of the great majority of all Christian charity.

"In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican." - H. L. Mencken

by SueDe on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 06:25:59 PM PDT

•  Yep, You Can Share My Bread If You'll Join Me (0+ / 0-)

in my hate.

by kerplunk on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 06:47:45 PM PDT

•  Let me tell you about Sister Mary Jane. (0+ / 0-)

Sister Mary Jane, a Catholic nun, was working as a paralegal at Atlanta Legal Aid when I started working there as a lawyer in 1987.

Sister Mary Jane was working in the AIDS Legal Project, which she helped found, a division of Atlanta Legal Aid. This was before protease inhibitors, when AIDS was still a death sentence. Sister Mary Jane and the lawyers she worked with helped AIDS patients not just with getting their wills in order, but also with litigating against landlords who didn't want to rent to tenants with AIDS; life insurance companies who didn't want to pay out fair "viatical settlements" (paying out the death benefit early, so the terminally ill insured can use it for living expenses); etc. She also gave out plenty of hugs, when many people were afraid to touch people with AIDS.

When the AIDS Legal Project was operating steadily enough on its own, Mary Jane left--around 1990--and founded a new charity, Living Room, to provide housing for people with AIDS who were too sick to work, so couldn't make rent or mortgage payments, who would otherwise be homeless. Living Room still operates: http://www.livingroomatl.org/

When Living Room was strong enough to stand on its own two feet, Mary Jane went to Swaziland (in South Africa) and founded a school for AIDS orphans, which provided not just an education, but food and clothing. A picture: http://www.adriandominicans.org/...

And after the school was strong enough to operate without her, Mary Jane went to a remote village where one of the three nuns had just passed away. The other two were then in their 70s, and were still hauling water in buckets up from the village well.

Now Mary Jane is back in the USA, last I heard running the mission office of her order: http://www.adriandominicans.org/... So her organization didn't throw her out for her activities--they promoted her!

Surely there are many hateful people who call themselves Christian. I simply ask that when you think of them, you also remember that there are Christians like Mary Jane.

by HeyMikey on Sun Aug 25, 2013 at 01:41:41 PM PDT

•  Not all Christian charity works that way. (2+ / 0-)
                  hamletta, Amber6541

The Disciples church I went to for a while would have potlucks occasionally. We also had a food bank.

It became apparent at one point that some of the homeless and otherwise hungry in the area were slipping into the potlucks once the members of the church had already had seconds.

The response was to find out who qualified for the food bank (and hadn't realized they were eligible to sign up) and to make sure the dates of the potlucks were public knowledge in the neighborhood - along with an invitation to show up at 12:15, right when church let out, so they could join in the initial serving-line instead of just eating the half-cold leftovers.

There was exactly one of them I know of who was ever preached at, and that was after he started showing up for services voluntarily even when stale coffee and leftover donuts was all the food and drink on offer. They sat with the rest of us and most of the talk I heard centered around family not faith.

•  Two elements at work. Your confirmation bias.. (2+ / 0-)
              hamletta, Amber6541

and a very well-funded hate machine.  Good works don't get the media coverage that violence and scandal do.

One is exposed to the negative, and confirmation bias kicks in.

I know, because I used to be like you. But then I really started looking for the good works being done, and they are plentiful.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities" Voltaire.

by JWK on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 06:19:12 PM PDT

•  I Hadn't Heard That Until Now. Hard To Keep (1+ / 0-)
          Sandy on Signal

with the latest Christian fraud.

by kerplunk on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 04:26:02 PM PDT

•  I am not a fraud and belonging to (10+ / 0-)

this church or that church does not a Christian make.
            It is about Faith, Hope and Charity and the greatest of these is charity which is love.

I am a Christian....by faith
            I am a Christian ..by choice
            I do not believe in organized religion these days.
            I refuse to give up my faith because of hypocrits and hijackers.

We the People have to make a difference and the Change.....Just do it ! Be part of helping us build a veteran community online. United Veterans of America

by Vetwife on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 05:45:11 PM PDT

•  yah... seems to me that organized religion is the (6+ / 0-)

problem, not the faith itself. Course, I've felt that for a lot of years.  I have nothing but respect for Christians who practice their faith in their individual lives apart from the church.  I have nothing but scorn for those leaders who wear their faith on their sleeves and do nothing to affirm it.

A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.' Douglas Adams

by dougymi on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 07:52:30 PM PDT

•  You do know those things exist outside of the (2+ / 0-)
              Smoh, TheDuckManCometh

Church.

Atheist do have charities and give to them.

The thing about religion is that it's created by man.

Would you do good works if there was no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow as religions always suggest there is for you.

Christianity and most religions tell you to do good because if you don't there will be hell to pay.

Sort of like a kid and Santa Claus. It's actually the same thing. No toys for you if your bad. Which is why I explained to my daughter very early that I'm F'n Santa Claus. I didn't want her going through the terrible thoughts and fear or superstitions that I had to deal with growing up in a Christian family. That somebody was watching everything you did. It's silly if you really think about it. You would think the most all powerful has more to do than watch me.

At what point do we grow up and realize doing the right thing has nothing to do with your religion.

It's just the right thing to do.

If Conservatism was so great you would think they could find a sane person to represent it. Since the only people who represent it seem to be insane. I'm waiting for the day conservatism is labeled a mental illness

by SharksBreath on Sat Aug 24, 2013 at 12:55:34 AM PDT

•  I had the same reactions to religion and (1+ / 0-)
                Amber6541

Santa Claus. My kids knew from the beginning that I was Santa Claus and I would never expose them to the hatred so prevalent in many churches.

Cats are better than therapy, and I'm a therapist.

by Smoh on Sat Aug 24, 2013 at 06:39:23 AM PDT

•  To be honest, in the early eighties, when my (0+ / 0-)

children were young, I kept them away from religion because I wouldn't expose them to what I consider is nonsense.

Cats are better than therapy, and I'm a therapist.

by Smoh on Sat Aug 24, 2013 at 06:43:23 AM PDT

•  She surely did much good (1+ / 0-)
          Womantrust

but didn't she "tow the line" on the chrurch's "no condoms" rule?

I wonder how many developed AIDS, other STDs or had unwanted pregnancies due to her blind allegiance to the stupid rules of the unholy "catholic" church.

I don't mind straight people as long as they act gay in public.

by internationaljock on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 05:24:44 PM PDT

•  It's My Understanding That The Democratic (5+ / 0-)
      jan4insight, laurnj, FLFarmer, Womantrust, Smoh

Party condemned the Mayor's actions and worked to get him removed.

That is the difference, the Christian Church remains silent as the their haters continue.  Silently supporting them.

by kerplunk on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 04:33:21 PM PDT