View Diary: Syrian Chemical Weapon Attacks and Selective Outrage (100 comments)

•  Wait for the inspectors. (2+ / 0-)
    InAntalya, lysias

Believing those rebels without proof is a chump's game.  They're terrorists.

•  but they are our terrorists! n/t (2+ / 0-)
      Claudius Bombarnac, lysias

Dogs from the street can have all the desirable qualities that one could want from pet dogs. Most adopted stray dogs are usually humble and exceptionally faithful to their owners as if they are grateful for this kindness. -- H.M. Bhumibol Adulyadej

by corvo on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 08:16:54 AM PDT

•  Good luck with that. You think assad is going to (1+ / 0-)
      InAntalya

let them go anywhere that implicates his government in such atrocities? I'm not saying those against Assad haven't engaged in atrocities of their own. But since the limits of what those inspectors get to see are up to Assad you can be damn sure there won't be allowed to see anything that makes his government look bad.

If work was a good thing, the rich would have it all and not let you do it. -- Elmore Leonard

by voroki on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 08:19:37 AM PDT

•  are these simplistic narratives necessary? (3+ / 0-)
      InAntalya, Texas Lefty, Lawrence

'They're terrorists'.

Yes, incorporated and aligned with in the FSA are some guerilla groups, some terrorist groups, some Al Qaeda affiliated groups, and many thousands of other people.

I mean...we had terrorists in the American Revolution.  Such behaviors are part of most wars.  Doesn't justify it, but the direct association between

anti-Assad rebels = terrorists is just ridiculous.

for an example, look at the radicalization of groups in Afghanistan after the Soviet occupation.  The lines between terrorist, militant, guerilla, and family-man-who-just-wanted-to-be-left-alone  are actually often quite blurred.

•  The great majority of rebels in Syria (3+ / 0-)
        lysias, chuckvw, corvo

are radical Islamic groups and have been from almost the beginning.

Some might equate radical Islamic with terrorist.

The SMC/FSA is actually a very small part of rebel forces and are essentially only a force in the area along the Turkish-Syrian border south of Reyhanlı, Turkey.

Lamb chop, we can quibble what to call it, but I think we can both agree it's creepy.

by InAntalya on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 08:58:21 AM PDT

•  Evidence please (1+ / 0-)
          InAntalya

For these two things....

1.) that the FSA is only a small part of rebel forces in and around the Turkish border.

2.) that the majority of rebels are radical Islamic groups.

Thanks

"I'm a progressive man and I like progressive people" Peter Tosh

by Texas Lefty on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 09:19:20 AM PDT

•  Use the internet and learn (4+ / 0-)
            protectspice, lysias, chuckvw, corvo

about the multiple radical Islamic groups, and

which areas the radical Islamic groups are in control of, and

where SMC/FSA forces have been forced out of (by radical Islamic groups), and

where SMC/FSA forces have a strong presence (and where they don't), and

which rebel groups are part of and which rebel groups are only very loosely affiliated with the SMC/FSA, and which are not, and

how many members are believed to be in these groups.

There is no way I will condense more than two years of knowledge about and experience of events in Syria into a comment.

by InAntalya on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 09:32:05 AM PDT

•  Is disagreement not allowed in this diary? (0+ / 0-)

I noticed there are no links in the diary and alot of claims.

"I'm a progressive man and I like progressive people" Peter Tosh

by Texas Lefty on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 11:09:01 AM PDT

•  You can disagree as much as you want to. (4+ / 0-)
                corvo, protectspice, alain2112, chuckvw

Your comment was a request for evidence and I suggested a way you could find it.

Many of my diaries don't contain links because they contain information which I have from direct observation.

If this doesn't suit you, don't read them.

by InAntalya on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 11:22:04 AM PDT

•  Your suggestion was rude (0+ / 0-)

Alot of the information you present is different from what I've read over the past couple of years.  You have access to parts of Syria, so why not enlighten us readers as why your information is better or more factually correct.

"I'm a progressive man and I like progressive people" Peter Tosh

by Texas Lefty on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 12:10:10 PM PDT

•  In your opinion rude. (3+ / 0-)
                    protectspice, alain2112, chuckvw

In my opinion direct.

I am not interested in 'enlightening readers as why my information is better or more factually correct.'

I present what I can when I can, and have done so for quite a while, and I hope that it will be informative for those who read it.

Writing these posts here at DK is also helpful for me personally because many of the things I experience weigh heavily on my mind and writing these posts sometimes helps me cope.

by InAntalya on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 12:30:33 PM PDT