View Diary: New community guidelines, final draft (568 comments)

•  I rarly (14+ / 0-)

explain.  If you need to explain it you probably should not have HR'd it.  I/m with red, don't need to read an explanation just want to read comments about the topic.

"In short, I was a racketeer for Capitalism" Marine Corp Brigadier General Smedley D. Butler

by Kevskos on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 01:20:27 PM PDT

•  Interesting point. (3+ / 0-)
      Kevskos, raincrow, highacidity

Especially with the beefed up rules regarding inappropriate HRs and uprates, your approach is probably a good way to go.

•  I can see both sides (6+ / 0-)

On the one hand, it's courteous and could be helpful to leave an explanation for an HR.

On the other hand, leaving an explanation leaves an opening for a reply and subsequently a debate in multiple comments that argue over the hr and often bring up past examples and/or grievances.

Ideally, community moderation is simple. If something should be hidden, hr it.  If you disagree with an hr, then uprate it. Let the votes speaks for themselves.

Il est dangereux d’avoir raison dans des choses où des hommes accrédités ont tort. - Voltaire
        Don't trust anyone over 84414 - BentLiberal

by BentLiberal on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 02:23:41 PM PDT

•  Unintentional bigotries often need a bit of (19+ / 0-)

explanation -- people (posters and/or lurkers) may not be aware that certain language, even though commonly used, is offensive.

But getting into lengthy discussions is typically a waste of time.

I'm still a fan of the recipe post at that point.

•  I didn't explain H/R I just dropped on comment (0+ / 0-)

in my own diary from yesterday, troll's comment and I don't think one was necessary.

This troll could use a few more H/Rs too if you're willing to lend a hand.

"If Wall Street paid a tax on every “game” they run, we would get enough revenue to run the government on." ~ Will Rogers

by Lefty Coaster on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 03:30:13 PM PDT

•  And hide those replies? (0+ / 0-)

That's the problem when hiding comments from right wingers, you also lose two very informative replies to the troll that might educate him or her (see my comment just above yours).

Your beliefs don't make you a better person. Your behavior does.

by skohayes on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 03:56:41 PM PDT

•  So let them go to spam more diaries? (0+ / 0-)

by Lefty Coaster on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 08:18:32 PM PDT

•  Well, the way that the bot is working (0+ / 0-)

many people have gotten banned after two or three comments, so that's certainly not a problem. Unless you want to make $85 dollars an hour from home!
                Some people like engaging trolls, or they wouldn't waste time replying to them.

Your beliefs don't make you a better person. Your behavior does.

by skohayes on Sat Aug 24, 2013 at 03:51:32 AM PDT

•  Just because your explanation (5+ / 0-)

gets a reply, you aren't obligated to acknowledge it. Especially if you feel like you're about to get dragged over to the dreaded right margin, you can choose to ignore it.

by sidnora on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 03:34:00 PM PDT

•  Unfortunately, when you hide the comment (1+ / 0-)
          Mathazar

the person whose comment is hidden is often a low volume user or a new user, and they never see the (often excellent and well thought out) replies to their post. And in this case, I'm really just talking about the right wing trolls that put up diaries, not our regular site user flame wars.
          I am a member of the Trolls Group and we like to seek out right wingers and publish their diaries to our group, so I see it a lot (though we haven't had many right wing trolls lately).
          I don't mind HR'ing the tip jar, but I try to avoid HR'ing comments so that the troll can see the replies. I do understand why people do it, but hate the fact that the troll misses all the great replies that their comments often get.

Your beliefs don't make you a better person. Your behavior does.

by skohayes on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 03:53:31 PM PDT

•  Your language suggests (2+ / 0-)
            Kevskos, kurt

that you and the group target people more than comments:

"Trolls Group "

"... so that the troll ..."

It was changed to "hide rate" for a reason - so people would rate the comment.

Historically the problem on the site of calling people trolls is that some people feel it gives them license to make derogatory comments to the person, that should really be hiderated themselves but that almost never are

Don't trust anyone over 84414 - BentLiberal

by BentLiberal on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 04:31:48 PM PDT

•  Well, if my language "suggested" (0+ / 0-)

that, it was wrong. We choose diaries based on their content, not on the person who wrote them and we don't do flame wars.
              A brief glance at our diary list would have shown you that.

Your beliefs don't make you a better person. Your behavior does.

by skohayes on Sat Aug 24, 2013 at 03:49:03 AM PDT

•  Well I do admit I do not read the diaries (1+ / 0-)
                skohayes

in that group, at least I don't read them by finding them via that group.

I do like what you've said here:

though agree with CatNappe below on that they might not be "trolls"

Don't trust anyone over 84414 - BentLiberal

by BentLiberal on Sat Aug 24, 2013 at 02:10:40 PM PDT

•  And sometimes it's not a troll at all (5+ / 0-)
            BentLiberal, Adam B, annecros, kurt, skohayes

It's a newbie, or an infrequent participant. Someone who could, and would, benefit from the educational opportunity of knowing why and how their comment was offensive or disturbing.

“Texas is a so-called red state, but you’ve got 10 million Democrats here in Texas. And …, there are a whole lot of people here in Texas who need us, and who need us to fight for them.” President Obama

by Catte Nappe on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 04:47:36 PM PDT

•  That's why my inclination is to NOT leave (3+ / 0-)
          BentLiberal, Kevskos, Miggles

a reply if I HR sometimes.  Nothing like triggering a string of whining about the HR.

Political compass: -8.75 / -4.72

by Mark Mywurtz on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 05:19:17 PM PDT

•  Some things are very offensive but (2+ / 0-)
      TiaRachel, La Gitane

not necessarily well known. I remember a commenter from another blog that kept complaining about NASA, really vitriolic. Turned out it's a nasty acronym the guy was using to refer to blacks. I like explanations.

•  A brief explanation (4+ / 0-)
      Ahianne, Adam B, Situational Lefty, kurt

can be helpful for those who come after. Can even just put it in the comment title: "HR'd for racism" "HR'd for transphobia" "HR'd for breaking DBAD", that sort of thing.

by Cali Scribe on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 04:36:10 PM PDT