View Diary: Regarding rec-listed diaries by front-pagers... (52 comments)

•  With a few exceptions... (0+ / 0-)

...the main reason I look at rec listed diaries is so I can post some comments that would get better exposure.

Warren/3-D Print of Warren in 2016!

by dov12348 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 08:41:12 PM PDT

•  Sounds like gaming the system. (1+ / 0-)
      grover

My (perhaps wrong) sense is that most of us are here to build a community rather than get better exposure.  If the latter is a major concern when posting, then that's a very different aspect of the community.

You think it's hot? Imagine what it would be like if global warming really existed!

by JSc on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 09:04:21 PM PDT

•  Those who rec up mediocre diaries... (0+ / 0-)

...by well-knowns so that their "community"  can get on the rec list once again, are worse gamers.

Warren/3-D Print of Warren in 2016!

by dov12348 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 09:12:06 PM PDT

•  You could say I'm honestly... (0+ / 0-)

...taking advantage of their more subtle gaming of the system.

Warren/3-D Print of Warren in 2016!

by dov12348 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 09:14:41 PM PDT

•  Agree. (2+ / 0-)
        serendipityisabitch, Brecht

If members are diving  into rec list diaries for exposure (whatever in the heck THAT means) well, that certainly does explain why many of the rec list diaries are flaming messes.

Clearly those who seek exposure aren't going to be posting subtle nuanced comments.

Huh. This actually provides insight into something I never fully understood before.

© grover

by grover on Sat Aug 24, 2013 at 01:28:54 AM PDT

•  Yea me too... (1+ / 0-)
          serendipityisabitch

noticed recently posts that barely even make sense in wreck list diaries getting recs, not a lot reds but a few.

Makes sense people group up in the most popular diaries to give and receive recs for comments that would garner none in most diaries.

The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function [Albert A. Bartlett]

by fToRrEeEsSt on Sat Aug 24, 2013 at 01:56:07 AM PDT

•  Yes. I've closely followed the development (4+ / 0-)
          Brecht, Radiowalla, grover, pdxteacher

of a few overnight diaries, and it's fascinating to watch a really good diary that's made it on the reclist before morning coffee, that was chock full of interesting and intelligent comments, all of a sudden get flooded with, well, cotton candy comments. At about the same time, recs start piling up for the first half dozen original comments, and those first threads get longer and longer.

The better comments tend to accumulate at the bottom of the page once that happens, so I start at the bottom and search up once there are over 100 comments.

At least half the future I've been expecting hasn't gotten here yet. Sigh.... (Yes, there's gender bias in my name; no, I wasn't thinking about it when I signed up. My apologies.)

by serendipityisabitch on Sat Aug 24, 2013 at 02:55:38 AM PDT

•  Interesting observation. Sad, when people all cram (3+ / 0-)

their comments into the first few threads, and the subtleties of orderly conversation get drowned out. If the queue-jumpers at the top took time to read others' comments, and replied germanely to them, several-hundred-comment diaries would be far easier to navigate, and pleasanter to read.

I usually go the other way. When I see a huge comment section - well, I'll leave one comment if it's a very important issue, or telling diary. Otherwise, I usually read the diary, and then walk away from the comment mess.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Sat Aug 24, 2013 at 04:58:13 AM PDT

•  "Cotton candy comments" (2+ / 0-)
            serendipityisabitch, pdxteacher

Is the kindest euphemism I've seen in years.

Otherwise, a good observation overnight diaries in particular.

© grover