View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Live Digest: 8/29 (398 comments)

•  I don't know if I'm okay with that. (0+ / 0-)

Besides the fact that we have a plenty of "minorities" in our party.

•  Menendez (4+ / 0-)
      itskevin, Mark27, DCCyclone, HoosierD42

is the son of Cuban immigrants.  I think that counts.

29, white male, TX-07 (current), TN-09 (born), TN-08 (where parents live now)

by TDDVandy on Thu Aug 29, 2013 at 07:13:57 AM PDT

•  I'm not super familier with the topic, but that (0+ / 0-)

doesn't sound right. I may be wrong, but I think he's White Hispanic and I don't believe that makes someone a "minority".

•  Well (1+ / 0-)
          LordMike

I'm not necessarily familiar with this topic, either.  I DO know that the press treats Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz as minorities, though, when hyping the GOP's "diversity."

So, for consistency's sake, either Menendez is a minority or Rubio and Cruz are just a couple more white Republicans.  (Which, actually, I'd be fine with...)

29, white male, TX-07 (current), TN-09 (born), TN-08 (where parents live now)

by TDDVandy on Thu Aug 29, 2013 at 07:37:58 AM PDT

•  Well (10+ / 0-)

That's not how demographers view it, including the Census Bureau:

In the 2010 Census, just over one-third of the U.S. population reported their race and ethnicity as something other than non-Hispanic White alone. This group, referred to as the "minority" population for this report, increased from 86.9 million to 111.9 million between 2000 and 2010 (see Table 11). This represented a growth of 29 percent over the decade. The non-Hispanic White alone population also grew over the decade, from 194.6 million to 196.8 million; however, growth was relatively slow for this population (1 percent).
          "Hispanic" is considered an ethnicity, not a race, so anyone identifying as Hispanic on the Census has to pick another race. They could pick white, they could pick black, they could pick other, they could pick more than one. But you have to pick something. And generally speaking, only non-Hispanic whites are considered non-minority in this country.

Get the Daily Kos Elections Digest in your inbox every weekday. Sign up here.

by David Nir on Thu Aug 29, 2013 at 09:04:06 AM PDT

•  Yes it does (6+ / 0-)

Hispanic is a minority in this country no matter what the self-described ethnic categories are in their home countries because of the way that we define our racial and ethnic categories.

He's Hispanic.

23 Burkean Post Modern Gay Democrat; NM-2 (Raised), TX-20 (B.A. & M.A. in Political Science), TX-17 (Home); 08/12 PVIs

by wwmiv on Thu Aug 29, 2013 at 09:04:35 AM PDT

•  In America, white Hispanics are definitely... (3+ / 0-)
            wwmiv, LordMike, HoosierD42

...treated like a minority by non-Hispanic whites if they're not assimilated culturally into white American culture.

Just as non-whites are treated as minorities by non-Hispanic whites even if we're assimilated culturally.

45, male, Indian-American, married and proud father of a girl and 2 boys, Democrat, VA-10

by DCCyclone on Thu Aug 29, 2013 at 09:55:21 AM PDT

•  I think I may end my thoughts on this here. (0+ / 0-)

We are probably getting into some tricky waters.

•  Menendez (0+ / 0-)

Supporters certainly implied that they count Menendez as a minority when they suggested him for the appointment.

IA-2 Born, raised, currently reside.

by BoswellSupporter on Thu Aug 29, 2013 at 01:40:53 PM PDT