View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Live Digest: 8/30 (309 comments)

•  What's Burke's net worth? (4+ / 0-)
    jj32, Setsuna Mudo, LordMike, MichaelNY

I said above that her ability to self fund shouldn't be taken lightly, but just how wealthy is she?

This link claim she paid an average of $103,000 in state income taxes for each for each of the last five years. My very rough estimate indicates this is an income of at least $1 million per year--and that's income, not wealth.

"At this point, if the president came out in favor of breathing, [Republican leaders would] tell their caucus members to hold their breaths."--Jared Bernstein

by bjssp on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 10:06:36 AM PDT

•  There's been an inflation of the rumors (4+ / 0-)
      Setsuna Mudo, bjssp, LordMike, MichaelNY

First they were saying she could spend $1M, then $2M, then $5M, then $10M. So who knows.

Sometimes I feel like the Dem Party of Wisconsin is Sterling Cooper and Mary Burke is the jai-alai account.

You don't fight the fights you can win. You fight the fights that need fighting. -President Andrew Sheppard (D-Wisconsin)

by Gpack3 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 10:14:08 AM PDT

•  I don't think she'd need to self fund (2+ / 0-)
        LordMike, MichaelNY

every penny. If she's sufficiently liberal, which she probably is, and if Walker looks beatable, which he probably will to outsiders, at least, she'll have an easy fundraising pitch. But it'd be helpful if she could basically write a check whenever she needs to.

by bjssp on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 10:22:21 AM PDT

•  I would have liked to at least see Harris (4+ / 0-)
        bjssp, WisJohn, LordMike, Setsuna Mudo

on the ticket. We need somebody from the Fox Valley there. Perhaps Dave Hansen?

Or if he wanted to (and he's sounded pretty pissed at the Republican leadership of late), bring on Dale Schulz and run a bipartisan ticket. Schulz is still very popular with moderates and independents in the Driftless area, and part of Barrett's problem was that he underperformed Obama there by an astounding amount (like 12-13 points in a lot of places).

Schulz is actually from Madison, and ironically, he is the one Republican in a family full of really liberal Democrats (his mother was a self-proclaimed socialist). The Cap Times in Madison had an absolutely glowing write-up of him (and they're a leftist alt weekly!), and he sounds like he gets along really with people of all ideologies and would be easy to work with.

"Once, many, many years ago I thought I was wrong. Of course it turned out I had been right all along. But I was wrong to have thought I was wrong." -John Foster Dulles. My Political Compass Score: -4.00, -3.69, Proud member of DKE

by ArkDem14 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 11:02:05 AM PDT

•  Now there's an idea... (1+ / 0-)
          LordMike

by bjssp on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 11:03:20 AM PDT

•  That's not going to happen (2+ / 0-)
          MichaelNY, DCCyclone

Democrats generally don't vote for conservative Republicans, particularly in Democratic primaries. He would lose the Democratic LG primary badly to an actual Democrat.

by Gpack3 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 12:06:36 PM PDT

•  I would argue he's not a conservatice (2+ / 0-)
            WisJohn, MichaelNY

Republican. First and foremost he seems to be a pragmatic, 1980s-era conservative who is totally out of place in the Walker party and has been noticeably critical of Walker's style and the current legislative Republican leadership.

Then there is whether he is perceived as a conservative Republican, which, your opinion aside, Schultz simply isn't. The Progressive Alt Times in Madison ran a cover story of Schulz "The Last Moderate Standing", it was a glowing profile from a very leftist paper as I noted. I've seem other glowing profile from other Madison papers and lots of leftist driftless area folks who like him. If he switched to independent formally for the run, and got establishment support in the party as a good ticket-balancer, I don't see who would run against him, and he wouldn't lose.

by ArkDem14 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 03:22:01 PM PDT

•  The only way to get on the Dem ticket (0+ / 0-)

Is to run as a Democrat in a Democratic primary. He would lose a Democratic primary badly. He is far to the right of the most conservative Democrat in state office.

He can run as an independent for LG, but LGs and Govs run as a ticket in Wisconsin, meaning that to win, he would need to get more votes than either the Democrat or Republican candidate for Governor.

BTW the Capital Times is a liberal paper, but it's hardly "leftist", nor is it an alt-weekly. It's owned and published by the same company that owns the Wisconsin State Journal. Their offices are next door to each other, and they share a bullpen.

by Gpack3 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 at 09:45:15 AM PDT

•  The Isthmus article I read though (3+ / 0-)
      LordMike, askew, MichaelNY

mentioned how Burke had to sell her home and move into a much smaller one in order to make a two million dollar donation to a local charter school program that she was promoting as a way to take up the slack and provide additional opportunities to the city's poor minority students.

by ArkDem14 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 11:03:09 AM PDT

•  Maybe that was just the easiest way for her (0+ / 0-)

to get money. After all, she's single, so it's not like she needs a lot of space.

by bjssp on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 12:01:31 PM PDT

•  That'll be one of her most significant liabilities (2+ / 0-)
        LordMike, MichaelNY

On the left. That charter school was extremely controversial.

by Gpack3 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 12:03:36 PM PDT

•  moot if no one else with any $ runs (2+ / 0-)
          LordMike, MichaelNY

If anything it'll help her in the general by allowing her to claim that she isn't too tied to unions.

SSP poster. 44, CA-6, -0.25/-3.90

by sacman701 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 12:39:27 PM PDT

•  And she's also quoted as saying Walker's actions (2+ / 0-)
            LordMike, MichaelNY

are nothing but union busting, so she can play both sides, if it comes to that.

by bjssp on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 12:43:52 PM PDT

•  I will be surprised if Madison Prep gets mentioned (1+ / 0-)
          MichaelNY

at all outside of the very far left fringes of Madison. It may dumb down Dane County numbers in a primary a little bit. That's all I see happening.

"Go Forth in Love and Peace" --Be Kind to Dogs -- And Vote Democratic" --Dying words of Senator Thomas Eagleton, 2007

by BlueSasha on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 01:22:39 PM PDT

•  Unions know. (1+ / 0-)
            MichaelNY

And they're not too pleased with her.

Now, Tom Barrett tried to take over the Milwaukee Public Schools over the strenuous objections of the unions there, and he didn't have much trouble solidifying their support in the general, but your base's enthusiasm matters. Particularly in a midterm.

by Gpack3 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 01:31:37 PM PDT

•  Which is stupid (2+ / 0-)
              BlueSasha, bjssp

Because Burke wasn't operating on the "Oh, charter schools that's a chic idea, that's the wave of the future, let's take the established interests (teachers) and promote this new era of education" part of the party that folks like Booker are in. Her position was mainly that, on a point by point basis was a good idea and, combined with the local programs in the education system, would help minority and low income students. She didn't argue that it was the only solution or a catch-all solution. I swear some leftists are irritating. Just like charter schools shouldn't be promoted just because they're charter schools, they also shouldn't be attacked just because they are charter schools.

by ArkDem14 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 03:15:30 PM PDT

•  The answer is (3+ / 0-)
      MichaelNY, Setsuna Mudo, bjssp

No one knows, aside from Mary Burke and her accountant.

Get the Daily Kos Elections Digest in your inbox every weekday. Sign up here.

by David Nir on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 01:20:41 PM PDT