View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Live Digest: 8/30 (309 comments)

•  The Isthmus article I read though (3+ / 0-)
    LordMike, askew, MichaelNY

mentioned how Burke had to sell her home and move into a much smaller one in order to make a two million dollar donation to a local charter school program that she was promoting as a way to take up the slack and provide additional opportunities to the city's poor minority students.

"Once, many, many years ago I thought I was wrong. Of course it turned out I had been right all along. But I was wrong to have thought I was wrong." -John Foster Dulles. My Political Compass Score: -4.00, -3.69, Proud member of DKE

by ArkDem14 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 11:03:09 AM PDT

•  Maybe that was just the easiest way for her (0+ / 0-)

to get money. After all, she's single, so it's not like she needs a lot of space.

"At this point, if the president came out in favor of breathing, [Republican leaders would] tell their caucus members to hold their breaths."--Jared Bernstein

by bjssp on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 12:01:31 PM PDT

•  That'll be one of her most significant liabilities (2+ / 0-)
      LordMike, MichaelNY

On the left. That charter school was extremely controversial.

You don't fight the fights you can win. You fight the fights that need fighting. -President Andrew Sheppard (D-Wisconsin)

by Gpack3 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 12:03:36 PM PDT

•  moot if no one else with any $ runs (2+ / 0-)
        LordMike, MichaelNY

If anything it'll help her in the general by allowing her to claim that she isn't too tied to unions.

SSP poster. 44, CA-6, -0.25/-3.90

by sacman701 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 12:39:27 PM PDT

•  And she's also quoted as saying Walker's actions (2+ / 0-)
          LordMike, MichaelNY

are nothing but union busting, so she can play both sides, if it comes to that.

by bjssp on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 12:43:52 PM PDT

•  I will be surprised if Madison Prep gets mentioned (1+ / 0-)
        MichaelNY

at all outside of the very far left fringes of Madison. It may dumb down Dane County numbers in a primary a little bit. That's all I see happening.

"Go Forth in Love and Peace" --Be Kind to Dogs -- And Vote Democratic" --Dying words of Senator Thomas Eagleton, 2007

by BlueSasha on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 01:22:39 PM PDT

•  Unions know. (1+ / 0-)
          MichaelNY

And they're not too pleased with her.

Now, Tom Barrett tried to take over the Milwaukee Public Schools over the strenuous objections of the unions there, and he didn't have much trouble solidifying their support in the general, but your base's enthusiasm matters. Particularly in a midterm.

by Gpack3 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 01:31:37 PM PDT

•  Which is stupid (2+ / 0-)
            BlueSasha, bjssp

Because Burke wasn't operating on the "Oh, charter schools that's a chic idea, that's the wave of the future, let's take the established interests (teachers) and promote this new era of education" part of the party that folks like Booker are in. Her position was mainly that, on a point by point basis was a good idea and, combined with the local programs in the education system, would help minority and low income students. She didn't argue that it was the only solution or a catch-all solution. I swear some leftists are irritating. Just like charter schools shouldn't be promoted just because they're charter schools, they also shouldn't be attacked just because they are charter schools.

by ArkDem14 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 03:15:30 PM PDT

• Recommended (125)
  • Community (60)
  • Media (31)
  • Elections (31)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (30)
  • 2016 (29)
  • Climate Change (21)
  • Labor (19)
  • Economy (19)
  • Jeb Bush (18)
  • Josh Duggar (18)
  • Bernie Sanders (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site