View Diary: Allow This Brit to Remind Some of You What Matters to Americans (205 comments)

•  yawn (1+ / 0-)
    Medium Head Boy

see how that feels?

That's what your diary is doing, and that's why it fails to convince.

I don't know what you are expecting from this diary. Activists will be active for the things they care about.

And lets be honest, the largest percentage of the public won't show up to even vote.

We fight for the things we believe in, and I don't see any value in a diary attempting to dictate what people should care about.

this is a blog. People get to diary what ever they want to diary about. Those diaries can be ignored or recommended. People aren't recommending the diaries you wish they would? Get over it, or write a better diary, not set up as a meta-war, like this diary. This diary is begging for dissent and meta war.

As far as I can tell, this diary does nothing to advance these causes you care about. those who agree with you will clap louder, and those who may be inclined to hear you out, will now feel disrespected, and less likely to hear a thing you are saying.

You want me to care about the Democratic position on Jobs? Stop keeping the Trans Pacific negotiations secret, and well, reverse the whole free trade debacle which will only continue to sap jobs from us, and drive our wages down.

Education? Stop the privatization of our school system under the guise of Austerity, where schools are being shut down. Where is the democratic party on this? Is it with Rahm?

Meh. You've lost me. The NSA stories are important. Environmental stories are important. I'll continue to promote and help get info out on stories that I think people need to know about.

Whether you think they are important, or whether the Democratic party thinks they are important are irrelevant to me.

I'm willing to bet you'll get farther advocating for your issues by respecting others, rather than tearing down the beliefs of others, because when you do, you'll just get immediate push back, like with the yawn of my subject heading.

Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell. --Edward Abbey

by greenbastard on Mon Aug 26, 2013 at 07:17:04 AM PDT

•  How is Twigg 'tearing down the beliefs of others?' (5+ / 0-)
      Catte Nappe, twigg, Gurnt, Sylv, Larsstephens

Is the sensitivity level so high that if someone points out that one's diary priorities are not in sync with the majority of the population, it therefore amounts to a 'tearing down?'

Twigg is THE LAST person on this blog that would seek to  tear down other's opinions (that weren't blatantly RW or bigoted). Clearly, his eye is on the ball here though and he's encouraging others to do the same. We often here the chant 'issues, policy!' over 'Party!'...welp, there you go: the issues that matter to Americans.

While you dream of Utopia, we're here on Earth, getting things done.

by GoGoGoEverton on Mon Aug 26, 2013 at 07:45:39 AM PDT

•  if someone believes the diaries they write are (1+ / 0-)
        Medium Head Boy

important, and worthy, and this diary is telling them, essentially, those issues and diaries are not important, then I submit he is tearing down the beliefs of others.

any other questions?

by greenbastard on Mon Aug 26, 2013 at 07:58:05 AM PDT

•  There's context that is inarguable. (1+ / 0-)
          Gurnt

If someone wants to believe their issues are important in the context that the diarist, and some commentators, have shown that they are not (public opinion/priorities), then their beliefs were never really standing tall enough to be 'torn down' in the first place.

While you dream of Utopia, we're here on Earth, getting things done.

by GoGoGoEverton on Mon Aug 26, 2013 at 08:02:14 AM PDT

•  there isn't actually any data in this diary (1+ / 0-)
            Medium Head Boy

to support your or his claim beyond the anecdotal. So the context is lost on me as well.

and this:

If we elect the right people, the ones who can sell Americans on a platform of Jobs, Healthcare and Education, and those folk can offer workable and sustainable progress in those areas because they understand the issues, then we will be electing people who will take the appropriate steps in all the other areas.
            is underpants gnome logic.

Because this:

does not auto-equal this:

by greenbastard on Mon Aug 26, 2013 at 08:07:29 AM PDT

•  True, there's not stated data in the diary (1+ / 0-)
              twigg

and I was incorrect about that.

The conclusions are correct, however.

As far as 'underpants gnome logic' goes, I personally don't see anything in the diary that implies people's beliefs aren't important in their own context, just that they're not the public's priorities.

While you dream of Utopia, we're here on Earth, getting things done.

by GoGoGoEverton on Mon Aug 26, 2013 at 08:16:31 AM PDT

•  that's the problem with denigrating others at the (0+ / 0-)

top of your diary:

There is some debate on this site about which issues are more important than others.

There is no debate among people who do not live in a political bubble, whether that be Wall Street, Washington, HuffPo, Daily Kos, RedState ...

So if I don't believe the same as Twigg, am I living in a bubble? Nope. I'm not. I only visit this bubble to share.

But my original point, and the one I'll restate here is, if you want to influence people, and the diaries they'll post or recommend, you'll have more success without fueling the same meta wars.

Sincerely.

by greenbastard on Mon Aug 26, 2013 at 08:21:55 AM PDT

•  I don't believe my Diaries (3+ / 0-)
          Gurnt, Sylv, Larsstephens

are "important and worthy".

I write them, and I let other people decide whether they are worth anything, or not.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
          but I fear we will remain Democrats.

Who is twigg?

by twigg on Mon Aug 26, 2013 at 08:45:50 AM PDT

•  as it should be (0+ / 0-)

with less this:

So when Liberals and Progressives have had enough of worrying about the NSA, become tired of debating the personal qualities of Glenn Greenwald or Edward Snowden, quit obsessing over the minutia that is the difference between a gun and a pistol

by greenbastard on Mon Aug 26, 2013 at 08:52:51 AM PDT

•  Thanks :) (2+ / 0-)
        Sylv, Larsstephens

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
        but I fear we will remain Democrats.

Who is twigg?