View Diary: Sometimes things just don't work out - G-CCWB, Aero L-39ZA Albatros, IWM (27 comments)

•  The -ZA carries more ordnance that the Hawk 100 (7+ / 0-)

but the single seat Hawk has the beating of it (APG-66 radar, speed, loiter and lots of 'stuff').

The Alpha Jet just ...suffers. Its faster but far less capable as a weapons platform. The French wanted a trainer, the Germans wanted a light strike aircraft - guess who won? Same with the RAF, who wanted a ground attack aircraft with the Jaguar - the French won, because the airframe was optimized as a trainer...

Motto....NEVER go into a collaborative building arrangement with the French. Because all you will be doing is buying a French aircraft - and subsidizing it!

'Per Ardua Ad Astra'

by shortfinals on Mon Aug 26, 2013 at 07:23:56 PM PDT

•  I was thinking more in the trainer department (7+ / 0-)

I don't do "light attack" :)

If the pilot's good, see, I mean if he's reeeally sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low... oh you oughta see it sometime. It's a sight. A big plane like a '52... varrrooom! Its jet exhaust... frying chickens in the barnyard!

by Major Kong on Mon Aug 26, 2013 at 07:28:55 PM PDT

•  *chuckle* Well, from my LIMITED experience.... (3+ / 0-)

...the RAF Hawks will be more manoeuverable, with a higher G rating; and since it has the lovely R/R Adour engine with 2.5 times the thrust, the ceiling is over 44,000ft and IIRC, level speed is about Mach 0.8 (the L-39s Vne!) and in a Hawk you go transonic (c. Mach 1.1) in a shallow dive.

Basically, the Hawk is one of the best trainers in the last 30 years (or so I'm told). I DO know that the airframe is simple, and poses no major engineering challenges (no major corrosion snags as yet).

Unfortunately, the Adour is getting long in the tooth....an engine transplant is needed if the airframe is to soldier on.

We had No 100 Squadron with their all-black Hawks at Finningley on Joint Forward Air Controller training duties, plus the Hawk Squadron from No 6 Flying Training School for training fast-jet 'backseaters'.

Happy times, happy times......

'Per Ardua Ad Astra'

by shortfinals on Mon Aug 26, 2013 at 07:43:50 PM PDT

•  Been up to FL 450 in a T-38 (6+ / 0-)

We weren't normally supposed to go up above 390.

Got boxed in by thunderstorms one night somewhere between Louisiana and Texas.

Plugged it into full afterburner and went up to 450. We topped most of the weather but still had to pick our way through the cells visually (the T-38 had no radar back then).

Once we cleared the weather I very carefully pulled it back to min burner and used the speed brakes get it back down to FL 390. The engines were pretty finicky up at 450 and I didn't want to take a chance coming out of burner up there.

The other IP flying with me just said "Damn. I'm glad you were flying."

by Major Kong on Mon Aug 26, 2013 at 07:56:09 PM PDT

•  I think I would be in agreement with the other IP! (3+ / 0-)

At what altitude would you have attempted a relight? Say, descend through FL300 before a 'cold' relight? Or go for a 'hot' relight inside 10 seconds?

'Per Ardua Ad Astra'

by shortfinals on Mon Aug 26, 2013 at 08:32:42 PM PDT

•  I forget what the resart envelope was (4+ / 0-)

The "alternate air-start" was just to select afterburner, because that fired the igniters.

Otherwise I think we'd have had to descend to thicker air to run the full restart procedure.

Those J85s were originally designed to power a decoy missile, so they weren't as fully developed as they could have been. At high altitudes it was best to treat them gently.

by Major Kong on Tue Aug 27, 2013 at 04:31:36 AM PDT

• Recommended (153)
  • Community (68)
  • Elections (34)
  • Media (33)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (31)
  • Law (30)
  • Republicans (23)
  • Climate Change (23)
  • Economy (21)
  • Josh Duggar (19)
  • Marriage Equality (19)
  • Jeb Bush (18)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site