View Diary: Starbucks' stance on Obamacare–Will you buy another cup of coffee? (200 comments)

•  compete? undersell? (5+ / 0-)

starbucks drives local coffee shops out of business just about anywhere they go.

they are satan on the halfshell and do not ever deserve to be supported.

you know why they are so positive about the ACA and are saying they won't be messing with people's hours just to deny them bennies?  because they totally already do it!

beyond everything i've mentioned above, they don't even !@#$%& understand coffee.  their house brew is always burnt and their pretentiousness has GOT to stop.  cappuccino was never meant to be a 20-oz drink.  now i understand they've got some foof-ass nonsense called a macchiato latte or some shit, also a 20-oz drink.

you know what a macchiato is supposed to be?  espresso with a tiny island of foam in the middle, no milk, just the foam.  and i know -- i just know -- they are behind this "breve latte" crap.

fuck starbucks.  fuck them with something hard and sandpapery.

peace

Please don't dominate the rap, Jack, if you got nothin' new to say - Grateful Dead

by Cedwyn on Tue Aug 27, 2013 at 04:19:27 PM PDT

•  How do you like their pastries? (2+ / 0-)
      bubbajim, Cedwyn

"Searches with nonspecific warrants were ‘the single immediate cause of the American Revolution.’” Justice Wm. Brennan, referring to the 4th Amendment

by Nailbanger on Tue Aug 27, 2013 at 04:37:05 PM PDT

•  well, i used to make the maple scones they serve, (1+ / 0-)
        Nailbanger

here in the PNW anyway.  those were tasty, but beyond that, i couldn't say because i don't patronize starbucks.  and pastries should not be the redeeming quality of a coffee shop, anyway.

starbucks sucks ballz.

peace

by Cedwyn on Tue Aug 27, 2013 at 04:46:25 PM PDT

•  Just trying to keep the rant going (0+ / 0-)

I always thought their pastries were made with fair trade sawdust and organic glue.

by Nailbanger on Tue Aug 27, 2013 at 04:59:14 PM PDT

•  LOL (1+ / 0-)
            Nailbanger

no sir...at least not the scones here in portland.  or maybe they are now; who knows.

but i did not work for them; i worked for the bakery that made their scones for them.

by Cedwyn on Tue Aug 27, 2013 at 05:28:01 PM PDT

•  I miss the fresh-fruit brioche from the 1990s. (0+ / 0-)

To this day I can't find people who remember those. I adored those things.

Thank God, the Bob Fosse Kid is here! - Colin Mochrie

by gardnerhill on Thu Aug 29, 2013 at 08:34:20 PM PDT

•  I'm not sure that i agree with you 100% ... (5+ / 0-)

... on your police work there, Lou ...

I was chatting with a woman who purchased a coffee shop in downtown Portland.  She said she actually credits Starbucks for basically creating the demand for coffee that keeps her shop in business.  She believes there's plenty of room for all.

•  oooooh! what's the name of her shop? (2+ / 0-)
        estreya, Heart of the Rockies

i'll have to go there.

and yes; we're notorious coffee junkies here, so we can support lots of coffee shops.  but a lot of communities lose local shops when starbucks rolls in.

by Cedwyn on Tue Aug 27, 2013 at 05:56:36 PM PDT

•  I'm not sure of the name, but it's right near ... (1+ / 0-)
          Cedwyn

Nordstrom's Rack, on that corner there.  It used to be owned by a lovely fellow who made the most scrumptious cappuccinos, and she apparently purchased the shop from him when he retired.

I was kind of jarred by the transition, actually, because he had soft jazz playing, and lots of little bistro tables with modern lights strung up overhead.  She put in black leather sofas, and added display stands for more merchandise.  But it was all good i guess.  I'm just resistant to change. :)

I admit, i patronize little coffee shops, Starbucks, whatever's near when i'm out and about and in the mood for coffee.  If i found a little shop in a convenient location that made my "dream" cappuccino and had the kind of atmosphere that begs one to linger, i'd be more loyal.  When i lived in Canada, there were two such shops!  I rarely went to Starbucks when i lived in Canada. :)

Honestly, i don't have my heart in the challenge of  your assertions.  There may be some measure of truth to both viewpoints ...

•  In defense of Starbucks... (7+ / 0-)

Wherever I live, I find myself a coffee shop I can love and patronize it.  When I'm on the road, I head to Starbucks because they're easy to find.  I thus support both.  I'm happy to hear that Starbucks is doing the right thing here.

Some little coffee shops are good, really good.  Good coffee and personalized service.  These places are around and will always be around if they can distinguish themselves from the competition.  A lot of little coffee shops are bad.  If these go out of business, no one cries.

I find nothing wrong with people conceiving of a national chain of coffee shops and then putting that idea into practice.  I believe that the little guys will still survive because they've built up a loyal customer base.  It's the same with any mom-and-pop.  If you give your customer a good enough experience that they seek you out, good for you.  If you can't beat Wal-mart on prices or carry all the books that Borders does, then you have to make up for it in other ways or go out of business.  This is competition.  This is the way the world works.  We can urge people to shop locally, but if they don't want to, or if saving 5 cents on an item trumps all considerations about the local economy, then what can we do about it?  Blame the consumers, for one thing, instead of the businesspeople for taking advantage of a market or creating a new one.  Sitting around wishing things were like they used to be (mom and pop stores aren't going to make a comeback in the age of the internet unless someone comes up with an extraordinary new model), or that consumers were more discriminating, isn't the way to go about it.

I frequented a little tiny book store in my old town.  I'd order my books from her and wait a week instead of heading to Borders less than a mile away because she was a cool old lady and I liked to talk to her.  Thus, I made an effort to support her business.  A lot of folks agreed with me, and when she eventually retired (not forced out of business), it was a sad day.  The other little bookstore in town had an owner who was often rude and distracted (apparently customers disturbed her reading).  When she went out of business (and she blamed Borders), I shrugged.

When I lived in the States, I loved the local farmer's market, especially this one family who baked the most exquisite berry pies.  I eagerly awaited every second Sunday as a result, and would never consider buying a pie from a big grocery store.  If their quality suddenly tanked or they started calling me names, though, I wasn't going to buy from them any more.

If you don't like Starbucks, then by all means don't go there, and feel free to tell others why you don't like them.  I myself regard them as a third or fourth option.  But the whole "they force others out of business" argument is one I find hard to get angry about.  If they sell more than their competition, then perhaps it's because their customers think the product is better than the competition's.  Blame the consumers, then, not Starbucks.

Odds and ends about life in Japan: 1971wolfie.wordpress.com

by Hatrax on Tue Aug 27, 2013 at 06:03:41 PM PDT

•  The breve lattes can be blamed on someone else. (2+ / 0-)
      Miggles, Cedwyn

Starbucks doesn't even put those on their menu. I've only seen them locally at the coffee stand down at the dock, and I think that's out of business for good.

•  I'd never heard of a breve latte. Even a latte is (2+ / 0-)
        Cedwyn, Kitsap River

already pushing the concept of being called coffee, considering that it is 75-85% milk.  And to use half and half in place of the milk???  I think that drink would give Long John Silver's "Big Catch" competition as the most unhealthful fast food in America.

•  lucky you (1+ / 0-)
        Kitsap River

breve is my coffee drink when i'm out and about.  a quad short caramel breve no foam.  it's bad enough that i have to specify "no foam" on a breve, but we'll ignore that for now.

everywhere i go out here anymore ordering my drink is reminiscent of an abbot & costello routine.

"quad short caramel breve no foam, please."

"okay...blahblah breve latte."

"no, no latte; i want a breve"

"right.  breve latte."

"okay, we're talking 1/2 & 1/2, not milk, right?"

it's !@#$%& asinine.  breve means espresso with steamed 1/2 & 1/2.  latte means espresso with steamed milk.  "breve latte" is like ordering a pepsi sprite.

and of course it's not on their menu; i'm sure plain ol' "breve" and "latte" are much too boring for them, what with their vente mochawhozits and what not.

but i just know they started this "breve latte" idiocy.  nobody who actually knows/cares about coffee would do such a stupid thing.

i really, really, really despise starbucks.

* hugs *

by Cedwyn on Wed Aug 28, 2013 at 03:38:59 AM PDT

•  Did it make your post (0+ / 0-)

better by using crude profanity?   I did agree with most of your points but you lost me when you resorted to needless juvenile expletives.

• Recommended (151)
  • Rescued (21)
  • Health Care (21)
  • Barack Obama (20)
  • Republicans (19)
  • International (18)
  • Freddie Gray (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site