View Diary: UPDATED: Pat Robertson accuses gays of wearing special rings to intentionally spread HIV (161 comments)

•  This is reprehensible and untrue (63+ / 0-)

As a gay man with HIV, I have made a personal commitment to myself AND the gay community at large that my disease STOPS WITH ME. I am not alone in this and I have never met another gay man who wants to willingly or stealthily spread this horrible affliction to anyone. Granted there is a very minor subset of men who "gift" and "chase" but they are really a minority and mentally unstable as far as my take on it goes.

Robertson is batshit cray-cray.

Fox News: Rich people paying rich people to tell middle class people to blame poor people.

by Brubs on Tue Aug 27, 2013 at 02:01:06 PM PDT

•  His folksy-bigotry should not be taken seriously.. (15+ / 0-)

It is unfortunate that he has an audience for his bullshit, but there is plenty of legit scientific information for people who want it.

His viewers have no excuse for their ignorance if they look to Pat Robertson for science.

•  It should be taken seriously, for the reason that (8+ / 0-)

there are so many "christians" who look to him as a messenger. My MIL was my best example. I worked for years, quietly urging her to hear what he was saying.

Knowing that a subtle, caring, educational "assault" was the only likely avenue to success. I did manage her to understand that CBN "News" was molded to his agenda, not to facts, or actual reporting. I managed to convince her that she needed to cross his information against information from others.

I made some progress, but I'm still bitter that I had to put up with her shit for 35 years, and Pat got the $ from her trust.

I'd happily wrap his lip over his head and drag his raggedy ass through a couple miles of broken glass before I slammed his big fella in the door of a '56 Buick Le Saber. (For his own protection from being touched by the ring.)

OK, breathe slowly - - in with the good, out with the bad.

I think that Republicanism is revealing itself as a personality disorder, not so much an ideology." -- Naomi Klein

by AllanTBG on Tue Aug 27, 2013 at 05:22:05 PM PDT

•  Doesn't he own CBN? (10+ / 0-)

I can't remember, never watched them, but either Robertson or Robertson and a couple other big TV-preachers went in together to start this thing, back in the early days of cable.

LBJ, Van Cliburn, Ike, Wendy Davis, Lady Bird, Ann Richards, Barbara Jordan, Molly Ivins, Sully Sullenburger, Drew Brees: Texas is NO Bush League!

by BlackSheep1 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 at 03:32:46 PM PDT

•  In deep red Alabama a school teacher speaks out.. (5+ / 0-)

Birmingham Alabama Ed Shultz held a town hall meeting where a 40 year veteran of public school education explained exactly how the GOP teaches and spreads racism throughout the south.

Just this one statement is worth watching from this veteran educator imo.

The teacher’s statement begins @ minute 3:15:

“I have been a part of public education since 1970 when the schools were first integrated. I see more hatred in the south now than I ever saw in 1970 and I’ll tell you why. It’s being preached in the pulpits. It’s in the white churches. They are teaching people that if you vote anything but republican you’re going to Hell pretty much”
        (short ad – sorry)
        Transcript @ link:  http://www.nbcnews.com/...

I found this very inspiring.
        To hear all these people in a deep red state sharing their concerns about racism, the republican party that hosts it, and then taking steps in identifying how and where discrimination happens.

Their active pursuit of the causes, identifying some white churches as perpetrators of this racist dogma we’ve seen so much of lately.

Good lookin’ out Alabama folks. And Kudos to Ed Schultz for his fighting for middle class workers

Thx Steveningen - I'm way late but I just got off work and heard this woman speaking out.

This is really healthy exposing these particular racist churches as centers of hate.

And Pat Robertson? - The veteran of hate

•  Stops with me. This is the kind of thnking missing (13+ / 0-)

from someone like Robertson's emotional repertoire. He doesn't have the ability to be compassionate because his hate takes up too much space.

I have to say, I started watching 700 club as an agnostic youth just for fun. I always thought he was amusing in his ignorance and hatefulness. For the last 10 years or so, however, I have found him so distasteful I just have no time for that crap.

His obvious senility must be a constant source of concern as he goes on the air.

The place was utterly dark—the oubliette, as I suppose, of their accursed convent.

by bastrop on Tue Aug 27, 2013 at 03:06:14 PM PDT

•  A lot of folks (6+ / 0-)

seem to not understand that giving someone a still-deadly disease, even inadvertently, is kind of a huge threshhold to cross morally.

Meh.

Fuck me, it's a leprechaun.

by MBNYC on Tue Aug 27, 2013 at 05:48:21 PM PDT

•  Oh Honey, you don't have to say that. We know (4+ / 0-)

gay men do not go around infecting other people for the fun of it. Robertson is bat-shi- crazy. Period. No defense or clarification is necessary, believe me.

It is reprehensible to say so. These folks are crazy.

•  In fairness to Robertson, his first statement (0+ / 0-)

seems quite reasonable.

“What to say if you’re driving an elderly man whose got AIDS? Don’t have sex with them,” Robertson said, “unless there’s a cut or some bodily fluid transmission, I think you’re not going to catch it.”
      And what, exactly, is wrong with that?  This seems totally correct and reasonable.  You should not worry about associating with HIV+ people, but you should probably not have sex with them and you're not going to get AIDS unless there is a cut or some bodily fluid transmission.
      In my own experience, our organization sponsored a meeting years ago in San Francisco where trained security officers warned me about shaking hands because, in those days, certain AIDS-infected activists were deliberately trying to infect people like me by virtue of rings which would cut fingers and transfer blood.
      In the early years of the "gay plague" there were certainly people who suggested that surreptitiously infecting politically powerful people, especially those who did not support spending money on AIDS and who wanted quarantines and similar restrictions on HIV+ people would be an effective way to change attitudes.

I am not aware of anyone who actually did this, but there were definitely cases like Kimberly Bergalis.  Everyone remember her?  I think there is little doubt that her dentist deliberately infected her and six other of his patients.  (Indeed, if the infections were accidental then that would mean that AIDS could be easily transmitted from HIV+ health care workers to their patients and we would need to have public health regulations preventing HIV+ people from performing many tasks.

Obviously, we will never know what Robertson's security staff told him, but having that fear for Robertson in San Francisco back in the 80s or 90s would not have been completely delusional.

•  Oh... and see this... (0+ / 0-)

Edward Parsons, a nurse from Miami Beach, gave sworn testimony that his close friend, David Acer, might have deliberately infected patients to draw attention to AIDS. Parsons had no proof - just a gut feeling.
        Whether or not Parsons was correct, any security person would need to consider this motive - imagine the attention AIDS would have gotten if Robertson had been infected.
      •  wrong. Not "reasonable" (3+ / 0-)
        MBNYC, terrypinder, Cassandra Waites
        First place you don't "catch" AIDS.  Please understand that there is a distinction between HIV and AIDS.  Second - there are plenty of people who have HIV poz partners who are negative who safely have sex.

This kind of statement tends to reenforce stigma....the "unless there is a cut" remark

A cut where?  Bodily fluid transmission? How?  Vague.

Join us on the Black Kos front porch to review news and views written from a black pov—everyone is welcome.

by Denise Oliver Velez on Wed Aug 28, 2013 at 12:57:56 AM PDT

•  This is kind of silly. (0+ / 0-)
          That's like saying that you don't catch paralytic polio, you just catch the poliomyelitis virus.  It is a distinction without a difference.
          True... but does not change the fact that this is a high risk activity.

I really don't see what you are trying to make a fuss about.  He's telling this woman "You can associate with HIV+ people without being at risk as long as you don't have sex with them, get their blood on you, or otherwise exchange bodily fluids."  I think that's a pretty enlightened attitude - I would not have been surprised if he had told her not to touch him.

A cut where?  Bodily fluid transmission? How?  Vague.

Does it matter where the cut is?

As for the bodily fluid transmission, are you seriously expecting him to give a lecture on the different levels of risk from saliva, blood, semen, urine, and feces?

•  Um. (4+ / 0-)
        I am not aware of anyone who actually did this,
        You're not aware because there is no known instance of this happening.

There is no question that there are poz folks who are irresponsible with the virus. But for the vast majority of us, rendering the former at best statistical noise, HIV is a huge responsibility. I don't have sex with neg guys, with or without protection, period, because I don't want that hanging over my head. Not even if they're naked, hard and begging, and yes, this has happened.

Fuck me, it's a leprechaun.

by MBNYC on Wed Aug 28, 2013 at 05:45:13 AM PDT

•  Shrug... Pat Robertson's security were presumably (0+ / 0-)

unconcerned with the majority of HIV+ people most of whom would have had no interest in having anything to do with him.

They were presumably concerned with the people in that "statistical noise".

A quick Internet search finds plenty of such people.  For example: http://www.whas11.com/...

A Greenwood, Indiana man is in jail on accusations that he knowingly and intentionally spread the AIDS virus to hundreds of women.
          •  Do me and everyone else a huge favor (1+ / 0-)
            Denise Oliver Velez

and drop this line of inquiry. It's ipso facto bigoted and serophobic.

You're a new user here, if you think this is a good way to establish a benefit to this community from your presence, it's not.

Some people here, including myself, live with this virus. We can either argue with you, or go the easier, quicker route, which is hiding your comments and getting your ass banned. You're very close to that line, I suggest you not cross it.

Thanks.

Fuck me, it's a leprechaun.

by MBNYC on Wed Aug 28, 2013 at 07:52:05 AM PDT