View Diary: Stevie Ray Vaughan (92 comments)

•  Top Ten Concert Of All Time (15+ / 0-)

Buddy Guy at the Varsity in Baton Rouge. I think 1992. It was close to life altering.

•  Saw him in the early 90's too (8+ / 0-)

His shows were just incendiary... Buddy Guy can thrown down like few others

Money speaks for money, the devil for his own... Who comes to speak for the skin and the bone?

by LeftOverAmerica on Tue Aug 27, 2013 at 07:03:34 PM PDT

•  I'm planning to see Buddy (1+ / 0-)
        LeftOverAmerica

in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it.

•  Let nothing get in your way. (2+ / 0-)
          operculum, LeftOverAmerica

You won't regret it :)
          I saw Buddy as part of a show that BB King was doing back in the 90's in Ft Myers.  Buddy played about 3rd out of 5. No one remembered 1,2 or 4. He just blew everyone else off the stage.  He came on and within a minute of being out there had hit every guitar slinger cliche in the book- behind the back, between his legs, with his teeth, it was great and he had the crowd going nuts. And then he topped it: after another 4 minutes of pyrotechnics he drops it down to a strum and does his audience call out:
          BG: "How you doin' Ft Myers!"
          FM: "Wooooo!"
          BG: "It's my first time here tonight!"
          FM: "Woooooo!"
          BG: "I just got one question for you!"
          FM: "Wooooooo!"
          BG: "What the fuck took you so long to get me here?!"
          Crowd went berserk.  That's when I knew I was in the presence of a master :)  He owned the night, up until BB hit the stage.

I was lucky enough to see Stevie Ray back in the late 80's at the Old Orchard Ballpark in Maine, on a double bill with Gregg Allman on his solo tour.  SRV was just relentless on stage- he hit it at a hundred miles an hour and just never stopped.  It became more than a concert to me, it was more spiritual.  Witnessing someone who had such a direct and voluminous connection to wherever it is that inspiration comes from was truly awe inspiring.  Again, I'm a lucky person :)

"Life is too short for front-wheel drive." -Sabine Schmidt

by nhox42 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 at 03:57:24 AM PDT

•  I saw him on that same tour (1+ / 0-)
            LeftOverAmerica

with Gregg Allman, at the State Fair. Still have the T shirt.

I saw him two other times, indoor venues, and I don't know who else played. One, I think, with Lonnie Brooks? He was wearing the Indian headdress and doing coke on stage. He would go over to the side, stick his head behind the curtain and never stop playing.

•  damn... (1+ / 0-)
            operculum
            BG: "How you doin' Ft Myers!"
            FM: "Wooooo!"
            BG: "It's my first time here tonight!"
            FM: "Woooooo!"
            BG: "I just got one question for you!"
            FM: "Wooooooo!"
            BG: "What the fuck took you so long to get me here?!"
            Crowd went berserk.  That's when I knew I was in the presence of a master :)
            Great job with the quote/description... Even sans music I could feel it.

This is killin' me... I gotta go find a tour schedule... :)

by LeftOverAmerica on Wed Aug 28, 2013 at 12:52:34 PM PDT

•  what (1+ / 0-)
          operculum

nhox42 said... "Let nothing get in your way" :)

Really... It's worth messin' up your life, if that's what it takes (bail on tests...work...weddings...whatever it takes)

I'm jealous .... Have fun, operculum! :)

by LeftOverAmerica on Wed Aug 28, 2013 at 12:47:46 PM PDT

•  You know the greatest thing? (1+ / 0-)
            LeftOverAmerica

It's a FREE concert!

•  not only cake... (1+ / 0-)
              operculum

but mountains of icing in which to wallow :)

I love free shows.... In addition to the 'free' part (always good), they bring out a different crowd, and there's often a significantly improved vibe to the whole thing. Feels more 'us' than 'them' (crowd and musicians together), if that makes any sense. Anyway... Fun.

If you get a chance, throw out a random 'woohoo' at the show for all the Kos kids that would like to be there with you :)

by LeftOverAmerica on Wed Aug 28, 2013 at 03:40:28 PM PDT

•  Would have loved (5+ / 0-)

to have seen those two play together! ...SSK

"Hey Clinton, I'm bushed" - Keith Richards

by Santa Susanna Kid on Tue Aug 27, 2013 at 07:08:29 PM PDT

•  Back in the 80's (1+ / 0-)
      LeftOverAmerica

I got to see SRV at a bar in Hartford CT - I think it was called the Agora Ball Room - I was , am and always will be a fan.  We'd argue who was the best guitar player - Clapton, SRV, Eddie Van Halen, Jimmy Paige, Randy Rhodes (another great who died too soon).

Looking back - the debate was futile - they were all great.

The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only legitimate object of good government. - Thomas Jefferson

by ctexrep on Wed Aug 28, 2013 at 03:13:12 AM PDT