View Diary: I never thought it would happen to me... (65 comments)

•  Kept wondering when the enthusiastic consent part (10+ / 0-)

would come in. I was creeped out by the whole thing and surprised and confused by the final panel.

This idea that all boys appreciate any contact even when someone else is forcing it on them harms boys who have been sexually abused. No one takes their claims seriously, and they need help as much as female abuse survivors.

Apparently this boy (in the comic) appreciated it, but every signal up to the final panel screamed RED FLAG to me.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~John Watson

by FriendlyNeighbor on Thu Aug 29, 2013 at 07:33:32 AM PDT

•  Until I read the comments (5+ / 0-)

I thought that the last panel meant the kid was going to get out of there BEFORE the sister came home!

The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." -- Wanda

by the autonomist on Thu Aug 29, 2013 at 07:48:12 AM PDT

•  not everything is a serious abuse situation (5+ / 0-)
      phenry, rbird, TerryDarc, Not A Bot, The Geogre

You can read any kind of thoughts and ideas into the most innocent things possible. Maybe not all boys appreciate any initiated contact from older girls, but most do. It's just the way things work out biologically.

•  Thanks for bringing some sense to this thread (1+ / 0-)
        Not A Bot

Political correctness forcing its unwanted attentions upon human nature.

What stronger breast-plate than a heart untainted! Thrice is he arm'd, that hath his quarrel just; And he but naked, though lock'd up in steel, Whose conscience with injustice is corrupted. King Henry, scene ii

by TerryDarc on Thu Aug 29, 2013 at 10:50:29 AM PDT

•  Nope. Sorry. (4+ / 0-)
          sngmama, punaise, FriendlyNeighbor, crose

I was saying that, based on my own personal experience, I did not like the situation. I wasn't being PC: it was personal.
          YMMV but that doesn't give you the right to downgrade mine.

When lots of people show up to vote, Democrats tend to win.

by Audri on Thu Aug 29, 2013 at 11:20:41 AM PDT

•  It was the rest of the thread that was being PC (0+ / 0-)

not you who brought some sort of sense to the question.

by TerryDarc on Thu Aug 29, 2013 at 11:48:17 AM PDT

•  That's what I'm saying (1+ / 0-)
        Audri

That although most boys appreciate sexual attention from older girls, not all boys do. How can you tell the difference? Enthusiastic consent.

Did I see enthusiastic consent prior to the kiss? No. So you can say you can read any kind of thoughts and ideas into the most innocent things--that's why consent should be a big part of any sexual encounter. So you don't have to guess.

Some boys face UNwanted sexual attention from older girls. They also face disbelief if they come forward to an adult. Why? Because of attitudes like yours. Yeah, sport, good going! You da man!

I CLEARLY said that this boy in the cartoon apparently didn't mind. That does not undercut my point that we need to help and protect our boys from sexual abuse, and that includes not treating what could be a nonconsensual encounter as some kind of triumph on their part.

P.S. Thanks for the mansplanation on biology. I had no idea.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~John Watson

by FriendlyNeighbor on Thu Aug 29, 2013 at 03:03:26 PM PDT

•  It's a kiss, after all (0+ / 0-)

Louis Maltby is a 1960's kid with 1960's fantasies, and, before this, he was always dreaming up being a detective like The Untouchables or the early cop shows. Louis is getting to the next phase in development.

No, the sister did not hold him down and rape him. She did not grope him. The panel shows 1) a compliment, 2) a kiss.

This, to a boy, is explosive. There is a phase that some girls go through, too, where they discover that they have power over boys, and they like to see if it's real and test it. Picking on a dumb little brother's dumb friend would seem like a safe test.

I can't believe that people are going into memories of sexual abuse and such, when we're talking about a kiss from a girl nearly the same age.

Everyone's innocent of some crime.

by The Geogre on Thu Aug 29, 2013 at 06:40:18 PM PDT

•  Seriously? You sound like a fundy (4+ / 0-)
      cryonaut, phenry, rbird, TerryDarc

When a friend's hot sister kisses one out of the blue, it's not a red flag, it's all systems go!

"When I was an alien, cultures weren't opinions" ~ Kurt Cobain, Territorial Pissings

by Subterranean on Thu Aug 29, 2013 at 09:17:08 AM PDT