View Diary: Alabama woman: Their white churches preach racism (138 comments)

•  I, for one, can back her up (32+ / 0-)

Born in SC, currently residing in NC, I have very few friends.

It's not because I'm a total jerk, or because I'm antisocial. It's because I find very few people I can relate to, politically, or philosophically. I abhor any kind of bigotry. When the n*gger jokes come out, I don't laugh. When they say gay people should be shot, I can't go along. I'm looked at, suspiciously, as some kind of alien infiltrator.

Consider the cognitive dissonance in the following, paraphrased reasoning: 'we've got to kill Obamacare... if we had National Health Insurance, we'd be fucking socialists... I have to keep taking The Man's shit, because a family health policy will cost me $800.00 a month... unions are communist... don't mess with her (she's got a black baby)... God loves everybody...'

I don't attend any church, not because I have something against mythical deities, but because I can't stand the hypocrites.

I like to think it's getting better, but I really think it's getting worse. Maybe it's just my ZIP code. I have to work with these people, and try to get along enough to get by. But I don't know how much more of this shit I can take.

If it ain't broke, don't break it.

by Executive Odor on Wed Aug 28, 2013 at 01:27:21 AM PDT

•  I feel your pain. (21+ / 0-)

And it has gotten worse in the past several years. I'm currently unemployed after finally snapping and letting some patrons have it that were spouting racist nonsense. I worked there for 8 years and had to listen to the same things you describe. I had one tell me I was "sinning against the book" by being with my husband (he's black). I had my bosses best buddy tell me how he really  hates interracial relationships but he is okay with mine because my husband is one of the "good ones". Yeah. I give up. I'm so depressed at this point at the state of things I can hardly force myself to look for work but I have to. The idea of having to go back to listening to that crap all day is nauseating. It makes me physically ill thinking about it. Try and hang in there, I wish I could offer you solutions but I'm tapped out.

~War is Peace~Freedom is Slavery~Ignorance is Strength~ George Orwell "1984"

by Kristina40 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 at 05:00:30 AM PDT

•  I hear your pain (11+ / 0-)

my niece is married to a black man. They live in New York and it gives me hope to see their wide circle of multi racial friends.

"Compassion is the keen awareness of the interdependence of all things." Thomas Merton

by createpeace on Wed Aug 28, 2013 at 06:02:17 AM PDT

•  I'll soon be forced (5+ / 0-)

to find another job, due to circumstances beyond our control. I really dread the evil I don't know, considering the evil I do know.

A few nights ago, during a break on the job, I was checking the NOAA/NHC website for anything in the tropics that might be coming our way. I said something like, "looks like a couple of wannabe storms coming off of Africa." My co-worker laughed, opened his all-but-toothless mouth, and said, "ain't nothin' good EVER come out of Africa."

Really? Does everything have to be dipped in that same old slop bucket? Can't our black supervisor be just as competent as his stupid white colleagues, or will he always be just filling a "quota"? No, I didn't say anything; I've tried, but there's no reasoning with people like this.

I became a marked man back in Obama's first campaign. You know the emails, the ones with pics of Obama shining Palin's shoes; the ones showing him with a spear and a bone through his nose; a watermelon patch growing on the White House lawn? If you didn't get them, good for you. I used "reply all", and told them what sick fucks they were for spreading this kind of garbage. That don't set too well with the good ol' boys.

If it ain't broke, don't break it.

by Executive Odor on Wed Aug 28, 2013 at 09:45:02 AM PDT

•  Yep, I had similar (4+ / 0-)

horrible experiences during the elections both times. My ex-boss is a tea partier and ever since the ACA passed she's been on my ass constantly. It was bad enough listening to addle brained customers with their bigotry and hate but I've sat through her telling stories of a patron once finding a homeless dude asleep in the dumpster and proclaiming: "Look! Somebody threw away a perfectly good "nword)!" She just thought that was the funniest shit ever. So yeah, how long can one tolerate this on a daily basis? I lasted 8 years because we have to do what we have to do to eat but I finally snapped. Enough is a goddamned 'nuff. The Zimmerman verdict was the proverbial straw. Her posting all kinds of crap on FB about what a thug Trayvon was prior to it. It's hard to reconcile that and be married to a black man and look him in the eyes each night when he asks how my day was and not be able to tell him just how awful it was because I don't want to hurt him. Yeah...not sad about being fired.

~War is Peace~Freedom is Slavery~Ignorance is Strength~ George Orwell "1984"

by Kristina40 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 at 09:55:25 AM PDT

•  I collect that material (0+ / 0-)

on dKosopedia.

Ethnic and Other Slurs

Scroll down for the images.

Ceterem censeo, gerrymandra delenda est

by Mokurai on Wed Aug 28, 2013 at 02:53:18 PM PDT

•  Where in NC are you? (1+ / 0-)
      Executive Odor

There are some pretty large pockets of civility in the Triangle, Asheville, and Greensboro.  Carrboro is pretty friendly, except when you're battling someone for a parking space.

I'll believe corporations are people when one comes home from Afghanistan in a body bag.

by mojo11 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 at 08:05:08 AM PDT

•  I'm currently in the far east (0+ / 0-)

but looking for opportunities in the western part of the state. I prefer the Smokies to the Atlantic, anyway.

If it ain't broke, don't break it.

by Executive Odor on Wed Aug 28, 2013 at 09:08:50 AM PDT

•  Mmm. yeah... (1+ / 0-)
          Executive Odor

Down East is pretty red.  Wendell Murphy country, a lot of it.  The northeast is slightly less bad, but not what you'd call "enlightened".  But if you go too far west, you'll run into the same thing all over again.  If you're looking in the mountains Asheville is the obvious first choice, if you can find work there.  It's not exactly a big business community, though there are some jobs in Buncombe Co outside the city proper.  Boone is much the same; college town, good tourist trade, but not a lot of actual "industry".

In between there's the Triangle, Triad and Charlotte/Metrolina which are listed roughly in the order of blue-ness (based on my experience).  There are jobs there, even some good ones depending on what you do.  Statewide, unemployment is still above the national average (8.8% according to the last figures I heard) but it's probably worse in the far east/far west.  And don't look for it to improve while McCrony & Friends are running Jones Street.

by mojo11 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 at 09:35:10 AM PDT

•  My daughter (0+ / 0-)

just started her masters degree pursuit in NC, and she is already experiencing this.