View Diary: Congress must declare war. (109 comments)

•  I dont understand how you dont understand process. (0+ / 0-)

This is how leaders create doubt that a law is useful or necessary. They ignore them and go back to previous law which is not in dispute. The War Powers Act has ALWAYS been in dispute because of the harms it has caused.

Obama can and should lead this way. Use the laws which are legal and show how the War Powers Act is unnecessary and must be repealed. It is what a Constitutional scholar was elected for, and its why I voted for him, twice.

Figures don't lie, but liars do figure-Mark Twain

by OregonOak on Wed Aug 28, 2013 at 07:53:54 PM PDT

•  Please provide an example (0+ / 0-)

of how any law was ever repealed because a President declined to use it in favor of a more restrictive one.

Just one.

"Much of movement conservatism is a con and the base is the marks." -- Chris Hayes

by raptavio on Wed Aug 28, 2013 at 08:07:03 PM PDT

•  More restrictive for Presidents, yes. (0+ / 0-)

But less restrictive for the good of the republic. The point of being President is to accomplish the people's business, not to continue to enlarge Presidential Power. That is our problem. If Obama is half the man he campaigned as, he will understand that he has an obligation to try to kill the War Powers Act before it kills us in endless wars.

I do not know of a precedent. Lincoln had no precedent, and Roosevelt had no precedent for many of the problems they faced. They did well by breaking precedent, and all great leaders do. Obama has the chance right now to be a great leader. I do not expect people to understand this completely, but this is the job of political leadership. Great political leadership. It is novel and new, and yet, I think it will work. And it will wrong foot the Republicans.

Figures don't lie, but liars do figure-Mark Twain

by OregonOak on Wed Aug 28, 2013 at 08:15:16 PM PDT

•  So you're telling me (0+ / 0-)

I don't understand process, yet you admit that there is no precedent for the process you're prescribing.

I think I'm done here.

by raptavio on Wed Aug 28, 2013 at 08:19:05 PM PDT

•  Well, you may not get the art of politics (0+ / 0-)

Its not about precedent. Its about what is right. If you cannot see that, there is something wrong with your thinking. You are a mere technocrat. I am interested in something new to change the Republic. You dont have to listen, but I think many creative political types are listening. They do not know how to break out of the gridlock leading us down to the ashpit of history, and this is one creative way to do it.

Thanks for reading, even though your sarcasm and condescension was barely tolerated.

Figures don't lie, but liars do figure-Mark Twain

by OregonOak on Wed Aug 28, 2013 at 08:35:59 PM PDT

•  There is definitely something wrong (0+ / 0-)

with the thinking of one of us.

I'll take my degree in political science over your continued insistence I just can't recognize the brilliance of your political analysis because my thinking is deficient, thanks. And I'm really done with your obduracy.

End of line.