View Diary: If you support Single Payor, do you support a National Health Records Database? (87 comments)

•  As long as appropriate HIPAA regulations (1+ / 0-)
    Dr Erich Bloodaxe RN

are in place, why would anyone oppose national health care records?  NSA already has them no doubt.

Fiat justitia ruat caelum "Let justice be done though the heavens fall."

by bobdevo on Wed Aug 28, 2013 at 09:04:04 AM PDT

•  Regulations can be violated, same as laws re: NSA (0+ / 0-)

work.

While you dream of Utopia, we're here on Earth, getting things done.

by GoGoGoEverton on Wed Aug 28, 2013 at 09:12:39 AM PDT

•  If we have universal coverage and no exclusions (2+ / 0-)
        Dr Erich Bloodaxe RN, splashy

for existing conditions, and given that nationwide access to medical records would allow for better treatment for Americans no matter where they may become injured or ill, what's the problem?

I'm on Social Security - any SS office I walk into can access my employment and salary history, etc. etc.  Medicare ditto.

Fiat justitia ruat caelum "Let justice be done though the heavens fall."

by bobdevo on Wed Aug 28, 2013 at 09:24:50 AM PDT

•  I didn't say there was a problem! (0+ / 0-)
          If we have universal coverage and no exclusions (0+ / 0-)

I do think it's an interesting thought exercise though: is your privacy expectation level dependent merely on the result of that privacy lessening?

I think the answer is, in your case, yes. And that's not a bad thing, but it does contradict with SOME who argue they oppose NSA practices based on 'principle', if they feel the same way that you do on a national health database.

While you dream of Utopia, we're here on Earth, getting things done.

by GoGoGoEverton on Wed Aug 28, 2013 at 09:28:09 AM PDT

•  "is your privacy expectation level dependent" (2+ / 0-)
            GoGoGoEverton, splashy

certainly, one key is did I VOLUNTARILY give the government my data . . . or did some schmuck at NSA dig it out of the metadata to stalk my sweet behind?

I appreciate the issues your diary raises.

Fiat justitia ruat caelum "Let justice be done though the heavens fall."

by bobdevo on Wed Aug 28, 2013 at 11:05:40 AM PDT

•  I am assuming you HAVE to give your records up (1+ / 0-)
              bobdevo

in order to receive care in the universal system. If it's opt-in, then I agree the comparison is not apt.

I appreciate your participation!

While you dream of Utopia, we're here on Earth, getting things done.

by GoGoGoEverton on Wed Aug 28, 2013 at 11:31:35 AM PDT

• Republicans (29)
  • Climate Change (27)
  • Spam (23)
  • Education (23)
  • Congress (23)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Labor (21)
  • Barack Obama (21)
  • Texas (20)
  • Law (20)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site