View Diary: Arabs!? (18 comments)

•  Hold on there. Four diaries in 20 minutes? (2+ / 0-)
    Catte Nappe, serendipityisabitch

Is this a takeover of the diary list? You might want to be polite and space these out over a day or two.

•  doc2 (4+ / 0-)
      Sylv, Catte Nappe, Dbug, Kevskos

Is there a limit to the number of Diaries?? I haven't posted to DK in a very long time, and I was under the impression that these went to my personal blog. I'm really sorry if they've been dominating something else. That was not my intention. I'll certainly space them out in the future. It's not my intention to "hog" the space of others. Thanks for putting this to my attention. I'm very sorry.

Never trust a naked busdriver.

by Adagio4639 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 at 12:06:29 PM PDT

•  Technically there's no limit to how many (4+ / 0-)

posts you can put up in a day, but... It's kinda bad form to be crowding the list instead of spending more time responding to the people who've been commenting in your other three posts.

Funny to say this to a user named Adagio, but... Slow down a bit!

Saint, n. A dead sinner revised and edited. - Ambrose Bierce

by pico on Thu Aug 29, 2013 at 12:12:07 PM PDT

•  Anything anybody posts goes on the "recent list" (1+ / 0-)
        Kevskos

For many that is observed as a limited length list on the home page.  When one diarist is posting in short bursts it looks like they are spamming that list. Besides, it's considered polite to "mind" your diaries, and recommend or respond to commenters. Hard to do that in four diaries simultaneously. Even harder if any make the recommended list and draw hundreds of commenters. And your writing is of a quality that suggests that will happen sooner than later.

“Texas is a so-called red state, but you’ve got 10 million Democrats here in Texas. And …, there are a whole lot of people here in Texas who need us, and who need us to fight for them.” President Obama

by Catte Nappe on Thu Aug 29, 2013 at 01:50:28 PM PDT

•  Catte Nappe (0+ / 0-)

I've been posting on Political Forums for a long long time, and on my own personal blog, and haven't been here in quite some time. I was actually under the impression that I was posting to my own blog right here. Or that I was posting to different topics. I really need to explore DK a lot more to see what others are writing. I was prompted to come here by a writing I saw by the writer called Ministry of Truth. Very powerful condemnation of all things Republican. That brought me back here.

Never trust a naked busdriver.

by Adagio4639 on Sat Aug 31, 2013 at 12:35:11 AM PDT

•  Good plan (1+ / 0-)
            i dunno
            I really need to explore DK a lot more to see what others are writing
            Yes, MoT is one of a number of excellent writers here. And as I noted you show promise of being counted among them.

As to the "posting at your own blog here", yes - you are doing that. But as you may have noted by now, the site aggregates all of what everybody is posting into one list of "recent" activity, and any of that may be recommended by others and promoted to the "Recommended List", or selected for "Community Spotlight" where good pieces that haven't drawn attention get a second look. Others may find your diaries by chosing to "follow" you, so anything you post shows up in their personal stream. Some of us also follow specific tags of interest as well, so if you write on a topic that someone is keeping up with (and tag it appropriately) you'll show up in their stream as well.

While you aren't exactly "new" chronologically, you might find the group New Diarists worth a look.

by Catte Nappe on Sat Aug 31, 2013 at 07:36:35 AM PDT

•  Oh, and.... (0+ / 0-)

Might you at some point be interested in contributing some diaries to the group An Ear for Music? Will send you an invite if you like.

by Catte Nappe on Sat Aug 31, 2013 at 07:50:47 AM PDT

•  Several years ago there was a limit (1+ / 0-)
        Kevskos

of one diary per day -- I think a day was defined as from midnight to midnight. At least a couple times I had to rush to post something before midnight, so I wouldn't have to wait two days to post another diary.

Now there's no limit. Which isn't necessarily bad. But sometimes you get spammers with "Earn $78 per hour!" or trolls writing "Obama is the AntiChrist!" publishing three or four diaries before the hide-ratings stop them. Or even well-meaning Democrats sharing their 50 articles that they wrote on their own blog -- one after another.

The problem is that if one person posts four or five diaries, everyone else gets bumped down on the "recent diaries" list and eventually they scroll off the main screen. So they get fewer eyes looking at them.

If you have a lot of diaries to post, you can schedule them. Don't post immediately -- set up a time when each will appear on the recent diaries list.

Sometimes I'll finish writing something at midnight, but I know I have to get up to go to work the next day (at, say, 10 am), so I'll arrange for it to go public at 8 am. Then I get up, make coffee, and see if there are any comments at 9 am and write some replies, then eventually go to work at 10 am.

But yeah, there are people here who get sort of pissed off if one person posts half a dozen diaries in a short period of time. With good reason, I think.

"Stupid just can't keep its mouth shut." -- SweetAuntFanny's grandmother.

by Dbug on Thu Aug 29, 2013 at 06:10:08 PM PDT