View Diary: (Updated) Winston Smith's Telescreen Has Arrived: DHS To Scan Americans in Public Places (209 comments)

•  Not more efficiently for the parade of horribles (0+ / 0-)

that are cited as the reason to do without it, i.e., harassing protesters or finding out where your ex is.

More efficiently for catching criminals, like in the hypothetical I gave.

So....what's the problem?

HEY COGNITIVE INFILTRATORS! I googled "confirmation bias" and Daily Kos raided my house! And and and smashed my hard drives! Ask CNN, it's all truthy!

by Inland on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 09:59:27 AM PDT

•  Easier to catch criminals (3+ / 0-)

but not easier to catch dissidents! For some reason.

"As the madmen play on words, and make us all dance to their song / to the tune of starving millions, to make a better kind of gun..." -- Iron Maiden

by Lost Left Coaster on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 10:19:14 AM PDT

•  That's right. (0+ / 0-)

It's easy to catch dissidents now. It's just that nobody does.  Go figure.

by Inland on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 01:05:31 PM PDT

•  I don't even know how to respond (2+ / 0-)
          trumpeter, Dianna

What a strange, ahistorical comment. I'm seriously baffled.

by Lost Left Coaster on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 01:11:40 PM PDT

•  Well, consider that history. (0+ / 0-)

Nobody needed facial recognition software to figure out who the Japanese were.  Nobody needed the NSA to figure out who the union organizers were.

But you seem to think that the evil powers that be are waiting until facial recognition software to.....something.   Care to explain why they are shy about using the good old fashioned way?

by Inland on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 01:24:20 PM PDT

•  Maybe because they are DOING (5+ / 0-)

horrible stuff, like spying on Americans without authorization, without warrants, without any reason other than just because they can?

So....what's the problem?
      But maybe you are on an island and don't use laptop, xbox or cellphone and have no worries mate.

But I don't want my kids and grandkids boogered by all of this crap. Or myself either.

Hi NSA. I am doing constitutionally protected stuff - like free speech. Too bad you are not!

by glitterscale on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 10:26:17 AM PDT

•  What the fuck does catching criminals have to do (4+ / 0-)

with anything?  The point of governmental surveillance has always been and will always be to hunt dissidents, socialists, civil rights workers, and union organizers.

Reasonable suspicion? How can being wrong 98.6% of the time ever be reasonable?

by happymisanthropy on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 11:46:52 AM PDT

•  I think we're (2+ / 0-)
        Choco8, trumpeter

required to ignore the whole of American political/labor movement history (not to mention the revelations of this past summer) in order to accept that person's dismissals.

Now that the world is perfect and everyone's motives are pure and true, this technology is safe as milk, I guess.

Money speaks for money, the devil for his own... Who comes to speak for the skin and the bone?

by LeftOverAmerica on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 12:46:14 PM PDT