View Diary: Obamacare price increases (98 comments)

•  LOL... (4+ / 0-)

This person just joined DKos today, and has not responded to any questions. Pretty obviously a troll.

•  This post brought to you by. . . (3+ / 0-)
      Wee Mama, ballerina X, jmbar2

•  So just because I'm new (7+ / 0-)

So just because I'm new I get labeled a troll by more than one post so far.  Seems an odd way to treat a new member.  Were you called a troll when you first joined just because you hadn't answered questions yet?  Give someone a chance before you make a decision.

•  We do get pretty rough on newbies at times (6+ / 0-)

The two diaries you posted have some hallmarks we've come to associate with trolls. That doesn't mean that you are a troll, but it does mean you're going to get some gruff.

There are resources to help newbies get acquainted with the ways of Daily Kos, though they may be loosely organized. This might be a good place to start.

Let us all have the strength to see the humanity in our enemies, and the courage to let them see the humanity in ourselves.

by Nowhere Man on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 08:02:08 AM PDT

•  Just make sure you include details in your diaries (10+ / 0-)

You can't just write "because of ACA my rates jumped and everyone I talk to says the same thing." and expect to be treated with anything but suspicion

If the diary would sell well on RedState, it won't do well here, unless it is backed up with facts, proof and - if possible - links.

The GOP despises the ACA and wants it dead at all costs.  You saying it causes rate increases without proof is right out of their playbook.  That is why you were accused of being a troll.

Tax and Spend I can understand. I can even understand Borrow and Spend. But Borrow and give Billionaires tax cuts? That I have a problem with.

by LiberalCanuck on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 08:05:51 AM PDT

•  Hi JL; welcome to Daily Kos (14+ / 0-)

One reason that many folks are inclined to have doubts about your post is related to the fact that we are daily faced with the attempts by Republicans to wreck the ACA.  There have been many diaries posted here since the passage of the ACA that have been personal testaments to the many benefits of the new law, including lower rates; and we don't see many diaries testifying to significantly increased rates.  Thus your diary has the appearance, even if not intended, of being just another attempt to try to sway opinion against the ACA.

Here in North Carolina where I live, we have a state government that is doing everything it can to wreck the ACA.  Our state is not implementing an exchange; so the federal government will have to take on that responsibility.  Reports are that only three insurance companies have signed on to the exchange here in North Carolina.  One of the three is Blue Cross Blue Shield, which is by far the largest health insurance company in the state.

Recently, Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina has been sending out a lot of mail to its policy holders; I'm one of them.  BCBS has told me that if I want, I can still keep my current policy.  However, BCBS has also told me that I will likely save a lot of money by switching to a new policy.

In my view, BCBS is trying to hold on to its customers by courting them now before the exchanges open on October 1st.  They know that the world is about to change.  Despite my state's Republican government attempt to thwart the ACA here, BCBS of NC has already indicated to me that the cost of insurance for me will be reduced, precisely because of the ACA.

You stated upthread that you live in California.  Go here for information about your state's exchange.

Rates, net of subsidies, will be lower for the majority of Americans; but not everyone will see a reduction.  Your circumstances may be such that your rate may increase.  It also may be to your advantage to make sure your insurance company isn't trying to take advantage of you.

The ACA of course does a lot more that just lower rates.  It has ended the pre-existing condition nightmare, ended lifetime caps, ending annual caps, ended the ability of insurance companies to dump sick patients, made it possible for kids to stay on their parents policies when they are first starting out in life and can't afford insurance on their on.  And of course it provides access to coverage for many millions of Americans who previously went without.

The ACA is a very good thing for our country.

It isn't perfect; there will be problems; it can be better.  But we as a country are much better because of the ACA than we were before it.

Yes, some folks will see a near term rate increase.  And it's worth considering that because over time the ACA will be working to control costs, that over a longer period of time, those who are now seeing a rate increase will probably be seeing a net long term reduction in their rates, since the overall rate of increases in health care costs will be reduced.  But when viewed in light of the overall benefits of the ACA to our country, that short term increase is worth it.

As an aside; since you are new to Daily Kos, it may be of some benefit to take your time, read a lot of diaries and comment threads, and get a feel for the place.  Once you've gotten a good feel for the place, you'll have a better sense of how to write a diary in a way that reflects an understanding of the community as a whole.  Then your contributions, your experiences, will be of greater value to all of us.

Thanks for joining Daily Kos.  And I do hope that you will check out the exchange in California.  From what I've read, the California exchange is going to significantly reduce rates for a lot of people.

______________
        Love one another

by davehouck on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 08:38:57 AM PDT

•  Some time ago a local (to me) politician held (1+ / 0-)
        elfling

a townh hall on the ACA and noted that he'ddiscovered that the vast majority of people here in the greater S.F. Bay Area had Kaiser. There is a reason for that, many reasons in fact, and the people that I know with other insurers, such as yours, are often full of complaints about prices, premiums, co-pays and the like.

There are reasons not to have Kaiser, it isn't that portable, etc., but if you can get it, you might look into it.

I have not yet had a price decrease, and don't know anybody who has, but almost everybody I know has some form of Kaiser, so that isn't  really all that much data. FWIW, I wouldn't expect anybody to see any decreases until after the exchanges kick in.

That, in its essence, is fascism--ownership of government by an individual, by a group, or by any other controlling private power. -- Franklin D. Roosevelt --

by enhydra lutris on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 09:48:40 AM PDT

•  Pretty obviously you are jumping to (0+ / 0-)

conclusions, so maybe I should say pretty obviously you habitually do so?

by enhydra lutris on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 09:38:54 AM PDT

•  Actually the person has responded to questions (1+ / 0-)
      elfling

just sayin.

If work was a good thing, the rich would have it all and not let you do it. -- Elmore Leonard

by voroki on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 09:58:44 AM PDT