View Diary: Calling All Southern Cooks!! I Need Some Quick Advice (89 comments)

•  I thought I was the only one who ever grew up (13+ / 0-)

eating hamburger gravy.  Thanks for setting it straight.

Through early morning fog I see visions of the things to be the pains that are withheld for me I realize and I can see...

by Keith930 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 01:44:13 PM PDT

•  keith (16+ / 0-)

luvsathoroughbred's recipe looks about right. the nice thing about this gravy -- it is very forgiving, if you follow the steps.  the biscuits are the difficult part of biscuits n gravy.

if you need a video to see it done, Google Alton Brown + sawmill gravy and you can look for a vid to show you step by step.  he is my go to guy for all things southern cooking w/a bit of cooking science thrown in.

Born in Oklahoma Raised in Ohio Escaped to Meechigan!!!

by MI Sooner on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 01:57:25 PM PDT

•  Yes! (7+ / 0-)

Alton Brown is my favorite Food Network person!  IMHO, the best instructor and one of the very best technicians.

I can cook, okay?  I mean, I know the "how" --- But Alton Brown teaches the "Why?" and that is absolutely invaluable.

Don't practice. Train.--Brian Harvey

by luvsathoroughbred on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 04:35:06 PM PDT

•  I use his biscuit recipe, but… (1+ / 0-)
          Ahianne

…I was a bit underwhelmed my first go. I got the recipe off the Food Network site, and something didn't feel right about "2 C flour", as AB is always preaching about volume vs weight when it comes to flour. Sure enough, I watched the video and he used 10½ oz. It made a difference, particularly in yield.

I also used buttermilk the second time and I thought it made a difference, too, although it didn't seem to in my pancakes. In fairness, I use Irma's (Joy of Cooking) recipe for pancakes instead of AB's, and she's less pragmatic about buttermilk.

LRod—UID 238035
          ZJX, ORD, ZAU retired
          My ATC site
          My Norm's Tools site

by exatc on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 07:31:24 PM PDT

•  Baking by weight is the ONLY way to go! (1+ / 0-)
            exatc

Having a good, accurate set of scales is really essential.  Baking by volume is fiddly and just plain stupid, I've come to realize.  I bought a Beurer kitchen scales, which also includes a clock, thermometer, and hygrometer (!), and I'll never use anything else.  You can weigh in  pounds, ounces, fluid ounces, kilograms, grams, and milliliters. When you start off, you put your bowl on the scales, press "tare", the scales automatically zeroes itself and you just add what you need and get a read out as you go along.  When you finish one ingredient, zero the scale and add the next.  Works like a charm, and you scarcely need to bother with a measuring cup! And since it's accurate down to 1 gram, you can even weigh spices.

-7.13 / -6.97 "The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion." -- Edmund Burke

by GulfExpat on Sat Aug 31, 2013 at 06:41:51 AM PDT

•  AB (0+ / 0-)

Goes through it all in the episode. The episode with the sawmill gravy is the gravy episode. It might be streamable from the food network website.

Born in Oklahoma Raised in Ohio Escaped to Meechigan!!!

by MI Sooner on Sat Aug 31, 2013 at 03:59:50 AM PDT

•  I didn't grow up with it, but… (1+ / 0-)
      Ahianne

…the cafeteria where I worked served it on toast and I ate it virtually every morning for the last 25 years of my creer. Although not true SOS, that's what they called it, and it's what I call it. I've recreated it at home and we have it occasionally for breakfast.

A half pound of hamburger is plenty for two, and I think I use a Tbs of flour, and milk to desired consistency (probably about 1C—we use 2% because it's what we have on hand, but it would probably be better with whole milk, or substitute some half 'n' half for some of the 2%). Carefully salt, liberally pepper. We serve it on toast, as they did at work, the second "S" on SOS. It's very filling.

We tried it on biscuits, but we didn't find it nearly as good as on toast. But then, we've never been biscuits 'n' gravy people anyway.

LRod—UID 238035