View Diary: The Blessed Jonathan Myrick Daniels: Anglican Saint and Civil Rights Hero (27 comments)

•  I am glad to know about (10+ / 0-)

Jonathan Myrick Daniels. The UMC doesn't have the same sort of history that other denominations do when it comes to issues of race and civil rights. While we had a great many individuals taking part in the civil rights movement, and in efforts throughout history for equality and justice, the denomination as a whole is still in a place of deep repentance for our past attitudes and actions.

The challenge to United Methodism stems from a tempestuous history unique in U.S. church life: In its early years, the Methodist church spawned three black denominations because of racial inhospitality.

Those three denominations-African Methodist Episcopal Church, African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church and Christian Methodist Episcopal Church-have a combined membership of nearly 4 million people. Talks are underway now, through the Commission on Pan-Methodist Cooperation and Union, to seek ways toward meaningful unity between those three church bodies and the United Methodist Church.

The other wounding United Methodist Church memory involves the treatment of black members after 1939, when the northern and southern branches of predominantly white Methodism reunited to form the Methodist Church. African Americans were organized into a separate administrative entity called the Central Jurisdiction, with its own annual conferences and bishops. The arrangement gave blacks a voice in the larger church but minimized contact with whites. It was administrative apartheid-official segregation-and it was not dismantled until 1968.

The UMC was dragged reluctantly into the civil rights movement and it still an area of needful focus and effort today. We may not be where we were, but we're a ways away from where we should be.

You should be very proud of your saints and martyrs, Brother commonmass. Very proud indeed.

If you have come here to help me, you are wasting our time. But if you have come because your liberation is bound up with mine, then let us work together.-Aboriginal activists group, Queensland, 1970s

by left rev on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 06:32:00 PM PDT

•  If I remember correctly, the Episcopal Churh (10+ / 0-)

was the only one that refused to split during the Civil War, and did something else, too: expected General Convention to meet in South Carolina during it.

We are such scamps, we Anglicans.

I resent that. I demand snark, and overly so -- Markos Moulitsas.

by commonmass on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 06:35:17 PM PDT

•  We All Love You Commonmass (4+ / 0-)

I live almost next door to an Episcopal Church. Such nice people. I always go to their Christmas Bazaar.

Trinity Episcopal Church The Windmill Alliance Inc

Brought To You By That Crazed Sociologist/Media Fanatic rebel ga Be The Change You Want To See In The World! Gandhi

by rebel ga on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 07:36:18 PM PDT

•  Thank you. My particular parish (5+ / 0-)

is nearly--not quite but nearly--lilly-white. But they are deeply committed to social justice. As is the one I serve (I'm a member of the Cathedral Parish, not a member of the one I serve).

You might recall that my late husband was Mohawk, and also an Anglican, and related to the great Mohawk leader, Anglican (and like Terun and I, a Freemason) and statesman Joseph Brant.

I resent that. I demand snark, and overly so -- Markos Moulitsas.

by commonmass on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 07:42:01 PM PDT

•  My Brother In Law Was A Freemason. (5+ / 0-)

I didn't know that Terun was a Mohawk.

New Jersey Tribes

Just between you and me, this diary took over 25 hrs from start to final edit.

I have a lot of the info on other diaries. I keep putting it out there because I've learned a lot about how bad off Native Americans are since joining DKos and I wanted them to see my links so they can get help.

Most of my links are federal govt or some recognized agency.

Some crabby guy taught me to use good sources. He complained about a link I had one night.

I learn from everyone. I'm old, 63. It's something I figured out along the way. Learn from everything.

A lot of people helped me in my life. Taught me to help others.

I have a lot of time on my hands and I just learned the computer in 08'. After the typewriter it's like a toy to me.

And I have a computer friend who set up my software, blogs etc. That's how I got my name.

Georgia was already taken. He said describe yourself.
            I said I'm a rebel (school of Abbie Hoffman type) and so I'm rebel ga.

And this is what I leaned in school. BA Sociology, Minors in everything.

I loved College would have stayed there forever.

Have half a Masters. But I was 28 when I first enrolled. And I was there 12 yrs full and part time.

I worked-studied, in our Art Dept. The Artists taught me so much.

How to write especially. I typed everything for the Professors.

State College. The Secretary was worn out trying to do the work of two for 20 years.

The Art Professors used to chase me down the hall when they saw me.

Saying; we love you Georgia, I need something typed.
            So you see I'm just giving out love.

I typed all their stuff for $5.75 an hr. So now I do it for free. Getting paid in love is much more rewarding and pays better too.

I'm from NJ but am temporarily (5yrs) in New Hampshire *White Mountains. I was injured in NJ and have had back problems ever since.

The first year I was here. I hitched to a Pow Wow.

I had about $10 to my name, (maybe a little more).

Everyone was so nice to me. They sold me a beautiful little dreamcatcher for only $3. I saw a smaller one marked for $5.

I hobbled around the Sacred Circle when invited to dance and bought a little green glass stone for 50 cents.

I saw lots of American Flags and POW Flags. And lots of Veterans. That reminds me I have to go put a link on my diary.

So I walked around and it was hot that day.

By the time I left I was tired. As I left there was a canopy with chairs so I sat down. A lady asked me if I would like some water and gave me a bottle of water for nothing.

Then, a couple came out (they didn't know me) and asked me if I would like a ride home! They said they were from Boston.

Dancing in the Sacred Circle really affected me.

And I shop in A Native American store. The only place to buy incense. I use incense as a mood elevator and it's healing too. I only use natural incenses. It's worth a dollar more.

The lady in the store and everyone who works there are so nice. And Native American Kossacks are so cool and wise.

Some Kossack bought me a lifetime subscription, like on Christmas Eve last year.

I didn't think I would get one. The ads weren't so bad.
            I figured someone with a slow computer could probably use the subscription.

But then on Christmas Eve I saw it. I was like, Wow!

After doing this diary I realize that all the Native Americans in the US could use all the help they can get.

Especially the Lakota Sioux. I get it now. US govt has been after the Sioux forever. So pretty much up until Obama became President, the govt still broke all treaties.

I saw the movie Billy Jack, years ago.

by rebel ga on Sat Aug 31, 2013 at 01:03:57 AM PDT

•  I forgot what diary I was in. (5+ / 0-)

In the other comment, I was referring to my new diary.
            I published it tonight.

I think I'm a little tired. But I'm happy to help people. That's how I have my fun, helping people. I'm a Sociologist.

School Supplies Drive ♥ For The Okiciyap Community A Links "Information-A-Thon"

by rebel ga on Sat Aug 31, 2013 at 01:16:39 AM PDT

• Recommended (120)
  • Community (58)
  • 2016 (45)
  • Elections (37)
  • Environment (35)
  • Media (33)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (33)
  • Republicans (31)
  • Hillary Clinton (30)
  • Iraq (27)
  • Barack Obama (27)
  • Law (27)
  • Civil Rights (25)
  • Jeb Bush (24)
  • Climate Change (24)
  • Culture (22)
  • Economy (19)
  • Labor (18)
  • Bernie Sanders (18)
  • Senate (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site