View Diary: Obama makes the right choice and will present his case on Syria to the whole Congress for a vote (521 comments)

•  Rumsfeldian..... lmbo (1+ / 0-)
    VPofKarma

It's difficult to be happy knowing so many suffer. We must unite.

by War on Error on Sat Aug 31, 2013 at 11:47:48 AM PDT

•  So Obama=Rumsfeld? (8+ / 0-)

I feel better now about calling a cohort of nuts here the "loony left."

THIS is why a certain portion of left-of-center people in this country never can make and maintain allies to get anything done.

You have NO credibility.

Sorry, Barack Obama has more cred than your group ever will. And you don't effect policy, and over time only a few loons will listen to you.

God, am I proud to call myself a Democrat, and not a "progressive."

Congratulations. You've given "progressive" a shitty reputation.

"They come, they come To build a wall between us We know they won't win."--Crowded House, "Don't Dream It's Over."

by Wildthumb on Sat Aug 31, 2013 at 12:08:08 PM PDT

•  Duh. I'm a life long liberal and not ashamed to (3+ / 0-)
        Treetrunk, CcVenussPromise, BoiseBlue

say so.

I never grasped this Progressive meme.

Read my byline.

Quite a stretch in your analysis.

Peace!!

It's difficult to be happy knowing so many suffer. We must unite.

by War on Error on Sat Aug 31, 2013 at 12:18:24 PM PDT

•  I would add.... (21+ / 0-)

....that some of the commentators here make it much easier for me to understand why the US has the most dysfunctional, disunited, and impotent left in the entire developed world. You can't march forward into the future with a confident step if you keep on shooting your toes off.

It's just pathetic when you see people who loudly demanded Obama put the entire matter to Congress, since they were stupidly sure he wouldn't dare, now turn around and say it doesn't matter if it goes before Congress because the fix is in anyway. If that's true, why did they want it put before Congress in the first place?

"They smash your face in, and say you were always ugly." (Solzhenitsyn)

by sagesource on Sat Aug 31, 2013 at 12:20:55 PM PDT

•  Dude, there are those who nail it, and those who (4+ / 0-)
          mikidee, highacidity, Hey338Too, Lawrence

really nail it.

Guess which category ol' Wildthumb puts YOU in?

by Wildthumb on Sat Aug 31, 2013 at 12:26:21 PM PDT

•  And another thing: I read your response to my wife (1+ / 0-)
          Yasuragi

(hey, a high compliment!) and she said "it's nice to hear something rational from someone on Kos."

by Wildthumb on Sat Aug 31, 2013 at 01:34:02 PM PDT

•  Not arguing with this. (0+ / 0-)
          But it's not because WE are "loony" or don't buy into this BS about American "exceptionalism". It's not because WE fail to "get with the program" when the president calls us to war.

Some reasons I can think of . . .

1) Multiple episodes of repression in the past against socialist & communist movements, which effectively deprived the political left of energy & intellectual heft.

2) Rightist nationalism always trumps leftist internationalism.

3) Our sclerotic duopoly of political parties effectively quashes any serious challenges to the status quo.

4) The power & political muscle of the corporate & business lobbies.

5) Ever since 1979, the peace movement has been virtually politically untouchable.

6) Race trumps class. In the U.S. it has always been thus.

Bottom line: one can be as far to the right as one wants & still be taken seriously within our country's political establishment. But on the left one must mince words & stay between the lines - lines that have been drawn pretty far to the right.

•  Blatant misread to fuel your outrage. (2+ / 0-)
        Laconic Lib, DeadHead

And what an attack on the DFH/Amateur Left you ripped out there. Been holding that in for a while, I'd speculate.

And this:

Congratulations. You've given "progressive" a shitty reputation.
        How Centrist (TM) of you...

As of 9pm 8/30/13: RETIRED Pie Warrior. Substance over Sh*t Flinging (as best as I am able) ~ JV

by JVolvo on Sat Aug 31, 2013 at 04:00:32 PM PDT

•  "Centrist." The new insult, eh? You love (0+ / 0-)

Vlad too?

And I was a DFH in the sixties but I wasn't stuck back there and spinning in place.

If you're a "progressive" I'm glad I'm something else. But I won't let the likes of you define me, Vladdie boy. Obama is _better than you are and better than that KGB tyrant.

What have you stuck out your precious neck for lately from your laptop?

by Wildthumb on Sat Aug 31, 2013 at 04:20:28 PM PDT

•  Putin? Have I EVER commented on Putin? No. (1+ / 0-)
            Laconic Lib

Don't know who you think I am or what distorted strawman you are projecting on me now.  I reject it.

Just noting your animosity above re dirty "progressives."

That comes from Limbaugh/Coulter ReThugs out in meat space, the White House when Rahm was Chief of Staff and, sadly, DLC/Centrists here.

So which camp is yours?

by JVolvo on Sat Aug 31, 2013 at 04:31:41 PM PDT

•  Hey, let's start all over, shall we? (0+ / 0-)

I thought you were aligned with a guy upthread who commented on Putin approvingly as some sort of source now,
              forgetting apparently that Putin was ex-KGB and used all of the KGB-style silencing of dissidents in both the Soviet Union and Russia. So I'm punching the reset button.

But I can tell you have some ready-made insults of your own at the ready and you're using them, as if you've stored up some of your own "outrage" against the "centrist Democrats" here.

I'm still a begrudging admirer of Fidel Castro for his revolution in Cuba so I doubt I'd be part of Harold Ford's group. Have a nice evening.

by Wildthumb on Sat Aug 31, 2013 at 05:09:56 PM PDT

•  meh (0+ / 0-)

This:

How Centrist (TM) of you...
                pales in comparison to this:
                So Obama=Rumsfeld?

I feel better now about calling a cohort of nuts here the "loony left."

You have NO credibility.

God, am I proud to call myself a Democrat, and not a "progressive."

Congratulations. You've given "progressive" a shitty reputation.

by Wildthumb on Sat Aug 31, 2013 at 12:08:08 PM PDT

But at least your feathers got ruffled.

ha ha

by DeadHead on Sat Aug 31, 2013 at 06:13:08 PM PDT

•  What're you, my enemy now? This is very new news, (0+ / 0-)

and I didn't expect it from you.

Ha ha yourself. And buzz off, testa morta.

by Wildthumb on Sat Aug 31, 2013 at 07:06:31 PM PDT

•  Yes, everyone is out to get you, because (0+ / 0-)

you decided to make an asshole comment. lol.

So now you're seeing enemies EVERYWHERE.

I just think you're getting all worked up, and it's kinda funny.

by DeadHead on Sat Aug 31, 2013 at 10:01:20 PM PDT

•  Obama's credibility is GONE. (0+ / 0-)

He's essentially embraced the foreign policy of George W. Bush. Militarism in the Middle East. Unilateralism. Bullying & arrogance toward other countries. Contempt for the rule of law. I've always maintained that the difference between the Democratic foreign-policy establishment & the neoconservatives that held sway under the previous administration is a matter of degree rather than kind.

I voted for Obama over Hillary in the primary because he opposed the Iraq war (or at least pretended to). I voted for Obama in '08 & '12 because I judged him to be the best hope for keeping us out of another Middle Eastern war. And damn if he doesn't go & jump in a Middle Eastern war.

So effectively it doesn't even matter whom we elect. We get militarism abroad; surveillance, authoritarianism & declining standards of living at home. The only choice we have is between center right & hard right.