View Diary: Abbreviated Pundit Round-up: Labor, War, and Lab Animals Edition (97 comments)

•  I have to say (8+ / 0-)

though I'm no organic food junkie, I do believe that the addition of processed foods to our diet, with all the associated chemicals and preservatives, has not done us any good.
    I've never had a problem with my weight, but I pretty much cook all my own food from scratch, and avoid things like deli meats, fast food, and the like, plus I exercise (2 mile walk with the dog every morning, plus work) on a regular basis.

Your beliefs don't make you a better person. Your behavior does.

by skohayes on Sun Sep 01, 2013 at 05:11:01 AM PDT

•  Too simple (10+ / 0-)

As with you

I pretty much cook all my own food from scratch, and avoid things like deli meats, fast food, and the like, plus I exercise (2 mile walk with[out] the dog every morning, plus work) on a regular basis.
      and I've struggled with my weight for my whole adult life.  My husband, who has shared the meals I make, and mostly eats more of them, is still skinny after all these years.

"It ain't right, Atticus," said Jem. "No, son, it ain't right." --Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird

by SottoVoce on Sun Sep 01, 2013 at 05:41:13 AM PDT

•  I don't want to assume, because I (4+ / 0-)

don't know your gender and  having a husband doesn't mean you're female, but men generally have about 10% faster metabolisms pound for pound.

I get to eat 2450 calories a day to maintain 180.  A woman my size and activity level and age could only eat 2220.

If she ate my intake for a year, she'd be about 20lbs heavier at the end of it.

Secondly, bigger people get to eat a lot more.  Each pound of weight you carry takes 9 to 12 calories a day to maintain even if you're sedentary.  If your husband is a good deal taller and therefore has a lot higher desired weight, he could eat considerably more and still be thin.

Lastly, bigger people use more calories to accomplish the same tasks. I burn about 106 calories walking a mile, my wife burns about 75.

1) Bomb Syria 2)???????????? 3) Lives saved!!!!!!

by JesseCW on Sun Sep 01, 2013 at 06:12:08 AM PDT

•  Fallacious (0+ / 0-)

Your "A calorie is a calorie is a calorie" assumption has been thoroughly debunked.

Read Good Calories, Bad Calories by award-winning science reporter Gary Taubes. Shorter version: Dr. Atkins was right all along.

What is valued is practiced. What is not valued is not practiced. -- Plato

by RobLewis on Sun Sep 01, 2013 at 10:10:43 AM PDT

•  That a few fringe kooks desperate to sell (0+ / 0-)

books and promise easy fixes where there are none is nothing unusual.

It started with Kellogg, 120 years ago, insisting that evil protein was the cause of all that ails us.

Extremely excessive consumption of sugars and simple carbs can lead to diabetes or a pre-diabetic state that can slow a persons metabolism.

That doesn't change the basic math, that eating more than you burn is what causes weight gain.  Rather, it changes the rate at which you burn.

All gurus of the moment, and their devotees, notwithstanding.

1) Bomb Syria 2)???????????? 3) Lives saved!!!!!!

by JesseCW on Sun Sep 01, 2013 at 03:07:20 PM PDT

•  Your metabolism can change with age. (4+ / 0-)

Many people who never had to watch their weight find that as they reach about 50 years old, it becomes a problem, even if they don't change their diet or reduce their activity level.

•  Oh, yeah (3+ / 0-)
          enhydra lutris, SottoVoce, psnyder

Especially when your doctor puts you on birth control for peri-menopausal symptoms at the age of 53, I think I gained 20 lbs overnight.
          Trying to get rid of that extra weight was a definite struggle!

Your beliefs don't make you a better person. Your behavior does.

by skohayes on Sun Sep 01, 2013 at 06:52:41 AM PDT

•  I had cancer and a hysterectomy at age 50 (5+ / 0-)

I'm glad that I came through easily and have remained cancer-free afterwards, but weight has clung to me ever since.

I think my point is that people who have active metabolisms and come from families who are thin shouldn't be smug about their own virtue, when it's not necessarily virtue that has made them stay trim.

by SottoVoce on Sun Sep 01, 2013 at 08:33:51 AM PDT

•  My sister was overweight her (1+ / 0-)
              SottoVoce

entire life, and my brother is overweight now, as is my mom.
              Trust me, I have a pretty normal metabolism, but I also have a young black lab that needs to be walked and played with every day, and I work with large animals, so my job is physically taxing as well. I eat one meal a day, because that's all I usually have time for. But trust me, I'm not skinny!
              I know that people who exercise and diet still struggle with their weight, I work with a 27 year old who plays softball all summer and fall and has twin boys to chase after, and still fights to lose weight. I do agree that genetics plays a huge part for some people.
              I'm glad to hear the cancer has not come back!

Your beliefs don't make you a better person. Your behavior does.

by skohayes on Sun Sep 01, 2013 at 03:43:01 PM PDT

•  Yup (3+ / 0-)

I never watched my weight.  I just ate when I was hungry and stopped when I was full.  I never gorged.  My weight stayed constant all of my adult life.  When I turned 50 extra pounds just started added up.  I'm now 25 - 30 pounds heavier.  Fortunately, by keeping my weight down during my adult life, this means I went from a size 6 to an 8, so it's not that bad.  I'd feel better if I could get rid of 15 of these pounds though.

“It is the job of the artist to think outside the boundaries of permissible thought and dare say things that no one else will say."—Howard Zinn

by musiclady on Sun Sep 01, 2013 at 07:50:31 AM PDT

•  I gave up meat and processed foods (2+ / 0-)
      davehouck, aufklaerer

40 years ago, dairy about 20. I stopped using pharmaceuticals after my last Lyme infection - antibiotics make it worse. Aspirin is as far into chemical medicine as I will go. I use Homeopathics. Acid-alkaline balance is critical. I eat only whole, fresh, natural food, locally produced food whenever possible. I refuse to contribute to the unsustainable and planet-wrecking global anything-anytime shipped-from-anywhere food production and distribution cartels. They don't give a %*@! about you or your health. Only your $ interest them.

I'm 6', 67 yr old male, 170 lbs. My weight has fluctuated about +- 5 lbs (except for a period 15 yrs ago when I did bodybuilding (195!)) and is now about the same as it was 40 yrs ago. My cholesterol is 135. My resting pulse 48 - I'm no athlete.

My primary complaint is that I work too much and don't get enough exercise and yoga. I could use a good fast and detox too.

Diet is a choice. Tastes are acquired (unfortunately much like religion!). Reengineering taste is essential to restore health.

•  All of that sounds great except (0+ / 0-)

Homeopathics aren't medicine. They aren't anything at all.

So you are contributing to the completely fraudalent fake medicine anti-science cartel. Kinda balances all your other good work, you know?

• Recommended (124)
  • Community (60)
  • Elections (31)
  • Media (31)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (30)
  • 2016 (29)
  • Republicans (21)
  • Economy (19)
  • Labor (19)
  • Jeb Bush (18)
  • Josh Duggar (18)
  • Bernie Sanders (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site