View Diary: Counterpropaganda Techniques For Progressives (74 comments)

•  sure (1+ / 0-)
    serendipityisabitch

happy and delusional or angry and delusional. Enjoy your delusion but like I tell all true believers don't preach to me about your beliefs and don't think you cornered the market on the "truth"

Your optimism is over the top and like most things that are over the top its messy and annoying.

I sing praises in the church of nonsense, but in my heart I'm still an atheist, demanding sense of all things.

by jbou on Sun Sep 01, 2013 at 07:09:02 PM PDT

•  Let's hear it for life! Messy and annoying is (2+ / 0-)
      bwren, I love OCD

a pretty good description. Champagne and slime mold both can go over the top of their respective containers, but I don't have much problem distinguishing between them, and I druther have the champagne.

At least half the future I've been expecting hasn't gotten here yet. Sigh.... (Yes, there's gender bias in my name; no, I wasn't thinking about it when I signed up. My apologies.)

by serendipityisabitch on Sun Sep 01, 2013 at 07:23:44 PM PDT

•  Sorry to parade all over your rain. (2+ / 0-)
      Onomastic, serendipityisabitch

I figure us optimists will actually create change.  And we'll share it with the dystopians, no matter how much it annoys them.

by I love OCD on Sun Sep 01, 2013 at 08:10:12 PM PDT

•  history has taught us... (1+ / 0-)
        serendipityisabitch

that angry people bring about change. Happy people have group outings.

by jbou on Sun Sep 01, 2013 at 08:27:10 PM PDT

•  I'll give you that! The KKK changed a lot of (2+ / 0-)
          alx9090, 6412093

lives, the Birchers were pretty effective, the Tea Party is a 24/7 festival of misplaced aggression.

OTOH Gandhi and MLK seem to have channeled their anger into the kind of action that breeds hope while achieving much of what they wanted.  Most of the anger here breeds more anger, no plans for action, mutterings about the need to fight back (but not clearly enough to piss Kos off), and wider and wider gaps between people who can only be effective working collaboratively.  It's a losing game unless the point is to depress people into inaction.

I'm plenty angry, and I'm working to change the things that piss me off, while appreciating the people who are standing up to power, not just talking back to power.

That's not rosy optimism, it's using a negative emotion to power positive action.  If that's a problem for you I'm sorry for you, but not for annoying you.

by I love OCD on Sun Sep 01, 2013 at 08:54:14 PM PDT

•  Why would a true pessimist (1+ / 0-)
          I love OCD

bother getting angry? But beware, beware the unhappy optimist!

by serendipityisabitch on Sun Sep 01, 2013 at 10:13:52 PM PDT