View Diary: Caucus Diary: Let's Figure Out How to Get Congress to Deny Authorization for a Strike on Syria (162 comments)

•  We could get millions (1+ / 0-)
    Horace Boothroyd III

to March in the streets against war...oh wait, that didn't work with Iraq. We could have hundreds of thousands of phone calls and signed petitions...oh wait, that didn't work with the trillion dollar TARP bailout for banks...The sad truth is they will do whatever their biggest donors tell them to do. Same as always.

~War is Peace~Freedom is Slavery~Ignorance is Strength~ George Orwell "1984"

by Kristina40 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 at 05:23:47 AM PDT

•  So we do something different (7+ / 0-)

Southern Liberal is suggesting a PR twist and put our reps rep on the line if I understand correctly.

Hi NSA. I am doing constitutionally protected stuff - like free speech. Too bad you are not!

by glitterscale on Tue Sep 03, 2013 at 06:26:59 AM PDT

•  Yes, that's what I'm suggesting. (7+ / 0-)

If we could organize a series of town halls/press conferences that would be great. MB has a diary up in which he's essentially vote counting, so we will have good info on whom to target.

The party of Kennedy is also the party of Eastland. The party of Javits is also the party of Goldwater. Where is our party? Where is the political party that will make it unnecessary to march on Washington?

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Tue Sep 03, 2013 at 06:39:18 AM PDT

•  But EVEN if your congresscritter says (3+ / 0-)
          Lujane, blueoasis, Betty Pinson

he will vote against, the pressure must be kept on cause you can bet Obama is twisting that arm too!

by glitterscale on Tue Sep 03, 2013 at 08:17:46 AM PDT

•  I'm not waiting for that even. And I hope you (3+ / 0-)
          blueoasis, CroneWit, Betty Pinson

don't mind my stealing some of your diary for a letter to Congress.  I've already emailed the following to 8 senators and 6 representatives (it's good to have family in different states!):

It was good news when President Obama said he would seek authorization from Congress before attacking Syria.  We encourage you to oppose such a strike.  Our personal opinion is that, at the very least, any military action by the President should both have Congressional approval and follow the Powell Doctrine.

The Powell Doctrine states that a list of questions all have to be answered affirmatively before military action is taken by the United States:

1) Is a vital national security interest threatened?
              2) Do we have a clear attainable objective?
              3) Have the risks and costs been fully and frankly analyzed?
              4) Have all other non-violent policy means been fully exhausted?
              5) Is there a plausible exit strategy to avoid endless entanglement?
              6) Have the consequences of our action been fully considered?
              7) Is the action supported by the American people?
              8) Do we have genuine broad international support?

It is our view that the requirements of the Powell Doctrine have not been met.  In particular, questions #2,#3,#5, and #6 must be answered in the affirmative, with reasonable specific proofs provided to the American people and to Congress of why the answer is yes.  Before military action is contemplated it is crucial that all these points be critically considered without regard to politics or partisanship.  In general we are strong supporters of President Obama, but on this issue we feel he is headed in the wrong direction.

Please take a strong stance AGAINST military action against Syria.  There are still other more peaceful options to be tried.

Many thanks for your interest in our views. We look forward to your response.

I also think your ideas are a good way to proceed, but I think it would be helpful if we had a list of other possible actions to promote.  I read a diary the other day with some suggestions; I'll see if I can find it again.
    •  I am beginning to get the sense that the vote (3+ / 0-)
      Lujane, blueoasis, CroneWit

will be relatively close. So the circumstances are very different going in than they were for the Iraq AUMF etc., it may be a case were citizen pressure is at least influential if not decisive.

Others have analyzed the various caucuses on both partisan sides; I'd like to point out there are many Reps. we have not heard from. Meteor Blades has a whip count diary up, and has promised to compile the submissions there in a new diary within 24 hours (from last night). When that appears, we will know who the undecided targets are.

This will be very ironic for me, lobbying my Republican Rep. (Fred Upton) against the position of the President I was a delegate for in 2008. So be it.

Mark E. Miller // Kalamazoo Township Trustee // MI 6th District Democratic Chair

by memiller on Tue Sep 03, 2013 at 07:47:41 AM PDT

•  Isn't it weird? (3+ / 0-)
        Lujane, blueoasis, Betty Pinson

I feel decidedly strange. But at least I'm lobbying Dems. MD, you know.

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Tue Sep 03, 2013 at 07:54:59 AM PDT

•  And oddly enough, I get to praise my IN GOP Rep (0+ / 0-)

for his stance and ask him to stick to it.  Same for my (D) IN Senator, if his current position is what it was in May.