View Diary: Obama's "Real" Plan For Syria (298 comments)

•  I said best case (6+ / 0-)

Not impossibly high expectations. You seemed to argue that what's likely is a regime change that turns into the US sponsored rebels coopting the army to fight NF and AQI. That strikes me as more than overly optimistic. It strikes me as being "then the people will rise up!" territory.

If debt were a moral issue then, lacking morals, corporations could never be in debt.

by AoT on Tue Sep 03, 2013 at 12:28:15 PM PDT

•  I am afraid I have to agree (1+ / 0-)
      AoT

that is the best case scenario and really, really unlikely.

•  I think the army will go where it's ordered once (1+ / 0-)
      FistJab

the new boss replaces the old boss.

Art is the handmaid of human good.

by joe from Lowell on Tue Sep 03, 2013 at 03:05:34 PM PDT

•  Just because Assad is gone (2+ / 0-)
        aliasalias, YucatanMan

doesn't mean there's a new boss.

And really, it's a dream that they'll just fall in line behind a group that is completely differently ethnically. Do you not know the groups involved? You realize that the armed forces are largely Alawite and the rebels are not? And you think they'll just fall in line?

by AoT on Tue Sep 03, 2013 at 03:20:42 PM PDT

•  The FSA has gotten organized. (0+ / 0-)

And it's also a lot more diverse than you're giving it credit for.

I think the reaction of the Assad forces will depend on the behavior of the FSA after it takes Syria, and that the decision to train, arm, and organize them was undertaken just as much as an effort to influence the post-war and manage the inter-rebel conflicts, as to oust Assad.

Art is the handmaid of human good.

by joe from Lowell on Tue Sep 03, 2013 at 04:16:59 PM PDT

•  I think that's wishful thinking (3+ / 0-)
            aliasalias, YucatanMan, JVolvo

And I have seen a shred of evidence that the armed forces would follow the orders of rival groups.

by AoT on Tue Sep 03, 2013 at 04:30:22 PM PDT

•  They are fighting amongst themselves. There are (1+ / 0-)
              AoT

rival factions galore.  The odds of all this neatly snapping into place if Assad is removed are painfully slim.  Flowers and Chocolates, y'all.

As of 9pm 8/30/13: RETIRED Pie Warrior. Substance over Sh*t Flinging (as best as I am able) ~ JV

by JVolvo on Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 06:32:12 AM PDT