View Diary: NC voter suppression law loses (60 comments)

•  No, but they're hoping that Art Pope's (12+ / 0-)

voter suppression laws will help them.

We North Carolinians need to REGISTER liberal voters, HELP GET ID for liberal voters, PROVIDE RIDES to the polls for liberal voters, and ASSIST liberal voters in obtaining and mailing absentee ballots.

The only way to overcome the cancerous Republican corruption that has infected our state is by swift, decisive action to overpower it with our sheer numbers.

"Bernie Madoff's mistake was stealing from the rich. If he'd stolen from the poor he'd have a cabinet position." -OPOL

by blue in NC on Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 05:23:03 AM PDT

•  And is there an organized effort (5+ / 0-)

to do all this? Where/who?
      I have yet to be able to find it, if it is organized somewhere.

When lots of people show up to vote, Democrats tend to win.

by Audri on Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 06:09:43 AM PDT

•  I haven't seen it yet either, at least not (10+ / 0-)

statewide.

I am working with a few neighbors and close friends to do so very locally, but I will gladly work with an organized statewide effort as well. But really, a true grassroots effort will help immensely. If every voting Democrat (preferably liberal Democrat, but in this state we must necessarily embrace some of our "Blew Dawg" brethren) "adopted" one Democrat who hasn't voted and does what it takes to make that Democrat's vote count, we would double the Democratic vote.

Double the Democratic vote would have won us just about every legislative district in the state!

I think that Rev. Barber of the NAACP will be putting together a more organized statewide effort. Also, "Best Senator in State History" Ellie Kinnaird has given up her senate seat mid-term, and is committed to workimg statewide to restore voting rights to students, the poor, minorities, and Democrats. Ellie don't mess around!

by blue in NC on Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 06:32:13 AM PDT

•  Contact (2+ / 0-)
          blue in NC, Audri

The NAACP, contact Elllie Kinnaird, League of Woman Voters et al to see what you and others can do.  I saw Ms Kinnaird on Rachel Maddow last week and she is truly a blessing to the people of North Carolina.

Never be afraid to voice your opinion and fight for it . Corporations aren't people, they're Republicans (Rev Al Sharpton 10/7/2011) Voting is a louder voice than a bullhorn.

by Rosalie907 on Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 01:19:13 PM PDT

•  Absolutely there is an organized effort starting. (5+ / 0-)
        Miggles, JVolvo, Audri, TexDem, blue in NC

Ellie Kinnaird is heading it and it is already getting traction on facebook.

The highest form of spiritual practice is self observation with compassion.

by NCJim on Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 09:44:34 AM PDT

•  Here we go... (6+ / 0-)

Dear Friends,

Thank you for your kind messages. I know that resigning from the Senate to start a Voter ID Project was the right direction when the response from people offering to help was overwhelming – over 600 emails, calls, and letters from all over the state, and even country, asking what they can do. From people who have project management and data base experience to people who say I’m unable to do much, but I will do anything I can. I am encouraged that we may be able to turn the legislature around.

We are in the early stages of developing the project but the project model is to work through our various communities: churches, synagogues, and other organizations, even a homeowners’ association, and people can also work on their own or with friends. Participants will be asked to go into their own communities and neighborhoods and inquire of each member of the household if they have the proper photo ID and if not, give them the information and if possible, offer to help them. If people are not a member of a faith or other organization, we have lists of people who have contacted me to ask them to canvass their neighborhood. It's ambitious but, I believe, achievable goal but we can contact every household.

This model is different from the standard election surveys where people go into neighborhoods they frequently do not know. A neighbor to neighbor or friend to friend approach means we engage people as members of their community. We are also open to any suggestions that will make the project work and inform every person to prepare them to vote. Please post your comments here with ideas for how to make this project a success. Together, we can make sure everyone in North Carolina has the opportunity to exercise their constitutional right to vote.

I am inspired by all the people who have contacted me, eager to change the direction of the legislature.

Ellie

The highest form of spiritual practice is self observation with compassion.

by NCJim on Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 10:01:04 AM PDT

•  and defend people against the challengers at (4+ / 0-)
      blue in NC, Miggles, JVolvo, Rosalie907

the precincts.  Each and every one.

Happy little moron, Lucky little man.
      I wish I was a moron, MY GOD, Perhaps I am!
      —Spike Milligan

by polecat on Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 07:10:00 AM PDT

•  And keep in mind that Republican challengers (4+ / 0-)
        UnionMade, polecat, Miggles, Rosalie907

at the precincts have been authorized in larger numbers by the law, and that, because of gun-law changes also authorized by the current Republican legislature, they may well be ostentatiously armed.

I said "may well be". I was recently flamed right here on dKos by somebody who lives nowhere near North Carolina for mentioning that. My "flamer" seemed to think that there was no new voter suppression in North Carolina, and that I was engaging in hysteria for suggesting that there could be armed intimidation.

It's not "hysteria". It may well occur. I hope it doesn't, but it might. This is the south, after all. We're not all that far-removed from the days of Lester Maddox and his axe handle in Georgia.

by blue in NC on Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 07:23:48 AM PDT

•  You need to have (1+ / 0-)
      blue in NC

Voter registration everyday of the week, you need to get people who need documentation whatever they need to be able to vote, and WE need the DOJ to file against NC just like they did against Texas.  This crap has to be squashed and squashed now.  Good luck, I'm pulling for you from here in NYC.

by Rosalie907 on Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 01:15:54 PM PDT