View Diary: Pam Martens: "What We Don’t Know About the Biggest Wall St. Banks Could Kill the Economy–Again" (58 comments)

•  Bob, in what kinds of instruments do you have (2+ / 0-)
    bobswern, sagansong

your investments right now?  Looking toward the bad stuff coming down the road, and wanting to protect what little money I have (a small IRA that my father left me).

Where's the safest place to have it so that I don't lose a big chunk of it, or any chunk of it, when the economic shit hits the fan?

That's one more thing to add to my long list of small problems. --my son, age 10

by concernedamerican on Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 03:35:11 AM PDT

•  Dig a hole in the ground (6+ / 0-)

and keep your loot safe.

Today, investing is strictly a game of roulette. Banks are paying essentially 0%. Indexed mutual funds are looking OK, but are possibly sitting on top of an invisible bubble in the market.

Don't even think about investing in gold.

Maybe 20-year T-bills? Or better yet, dig a hole in the ground.

-5.38, -2.97
      The NRA doesn't represent the interests of gun owners. So why are you still a member?

by ChuckInReno on Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 04:36:55 AM PDT

•  I'm heavily invested (1+ / 0-)
        greenearth

in cash these days.

Somehow, after what happened in 2007/2008, I don't have much trust in the FDIC to replace losses in a timely manner.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for thou art crunchy and good with ketchup.

by Pariah Dog on Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 06:46:10 AM PDT

•  Metals are a hedge against losses (1+ / 0-)
        greenearth

You might lose 70% of the value of gold, but compare to buying GM or Enron in 2000; 30% is better than zero.

I'm living in America, and in America you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business.

by CFAmick on Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 07:22:18 AM PDT

•  Putting all $ in one thing is a bad idea. (1+ / 0-)
          greenearth

CFAmick is suggesting speculation, not investing.  Gold is over-valued and dropping right now.  You'd lose your shirt.  Besides, even if gold was rising, you're risking everything on one gamble.  Unless you've studied commodities trading for a living...  No, make that: Even if you have studied commodities trading for a living, it's a truly awful idea to put all of your money on one class of investment.

It's also a bad idea to take investing advice off of a comments board.  Try reading Allan Roth's "Irrational Investor" column on CBS News Moneywatch.  It's not the usual crap like on TV.  He advises diversifying investments, with lowest cost (Vanguard or Fidelity index mutual funds) being the best predictor of better returns.  Bonds are always suggested for people who "don't want to lose money", but they still can lose value.  Roth suggests you can do better with money in longer term CDs at banks that don't have a surrender penalty (or a very low one).

•  Rare earths? Water? Broadband in China? (1+ / 0-)
        greenearth

Those are the ones that look promising to me.

But your warning is still well-taken.

The party of Kennedy is also the party of Eastland. The party of Javits is also the party of Goldwater. Where is our party? Where is the political party that will make it unnecessary to march on Washington?

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 01:12:20 PM PDT

•  you make enough to HAVE investments? (3+ / 0-)
      Don midwest, flowerfarmer, greenearth

you're in the winners circle then, what's your complaint?

We have no desire to offend you -- unless you are a twit!

by ScrewySquirrel on Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 08:14:25 AM PDT

•  Sorry... (3+ / 0-)
      JVolvo, JerryNA, greenearth

...but as a matter of personal "policy," I don't provide (and never have provided) investment advice here, or anywhere, for that matter. Additionally, I'm not an economist, nor do I pretend to be one. Generally speaking (there have been a few exceptions), I report. I do not prognosticate, at least as far as the subject of the economy's concerned; however, I frequently provide/link to the commentary of others (usually, they're folks that have much better credentials on these subjects, than yours truly; but that's not always the case) when I feel their commentary will add value to whatever it is that I'm writing about at the moment.

(But, even as far as that's concerned, there are some in this community that, to this day, apply the sentiments of others to me, as if they're my own words/thoughts.)

"I always thought if you worked hard enough and tried hard enough, things would work out. I was wrong." --Katharine Graham

by bobswern on Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 11:06:29 AM PDT