View Diary: Rogue PA Police Chief Calls for Military Coup to Begin Next Week in DC (327 comments)

•  His name sounds German. (15+ / 1-)

Kessler. They have to share the blame on this one (even if his family came over long ago).

•  This is snark. (5+ / 0-)

What the fuck is with the HR?

•  Nothing to do but uprate! (2+ / 0-)
        doc2, rb608

Must protect your freedom of speech against the libtards!

"Societies strain harder and harder to sustain the decadent opulence of the ruling class, even as it destroys the foundations of productivity and wealth." — Chris Hedges

by Crider on Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 07:03:16 AM PDT

•  HR'd for snark absent humor? (0+ / 0-)

Just guessing, here.

I'm the plowman in the valley - with my face full of mud

by labradog on Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 07:11:27 AM PDT

•  so? Name one joke (0+ / 0-)

ever told that everyone finds funny. It was a throwaway snarky comment. We shouldnt have to be so guarded here that we can't joke around in a relaxed manner. Not funny does not translate into "must be hidden"

•  Agree (1+ / 0-)
        tommymet

There's no reason for that HR.

•  I don't post a lot to Kos. What's HR? (0+ / 0-)
          •  Hide rate. (2+ / 0-)
            Remembering Jello, trumpeter

It used to be TR fro troll rate. Before that, a Nyberg 2. Sorry that last one is an old timey joke.

"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity"

by newfie on Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 07:26:54 AM PDT

•  Trusted users on DK have the option (2+ / 0-)
            newfie, PsychoSavannah

to hide a comment.

From the FAQ:

You're saying that the comment is so bad -- so disruptive or damaging to the community -- that it isn't worth even a debate, but should be deleted from the discussion as being simply inflammatory, simply off-topic, or simply a lie.
            While the comment is asshole-ish, I don't think it met that bar.

Note that doc2 commented later that it was snark.  Considering the brevity of comments, it is often difficult to determine the author's tone, and to distinguish snark from trolling.  This is why it is advisable to add "/snark" or "/sarcasm" to your comments as necessary.

Socialist? You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

by Kimbeaux on Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 07:47:15 AM PDT

•  Unless you are (2+ / 0-)
              Kimbeaux, paz3

"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity"

by newfie on Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 08:06:03 AM PDT

•  50 Grey Shades Of Humor (3+ / 0-)
                ExpatGirl, newfie, Kimbeaux
                Unless you are a snarking purist.  I am loathe to telegraph the snark.  I'd rather take any potential lumps and politely explain after.  Vive le snark!
                Not telegraphing snark does have the advantage of allowing readers to think a bit about a (potential) snarky comment.

It also, no insult intended, separates the literalists/ fundamentalists from those who comprehend and appreciate ironic, sardonic, dark or gallows humor.

That being said, I often will insert a " /s " when I don't want to derail a thread and make any part of it about me. Just my insecurity...

So, newfie, I won't ever HR any of your comments, as I may get the the laugh after some contemplation.  /s    ...maybe...

People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. - George Orwell

by paz3 on Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 10:26:06 AM PDT

•  Well know that (1+ / 0-)
                  Kimbeaux

I am snarking or I am a complete idiot.  I think that covers it for me.  So either way - laugh to your heart's content.  I won't mind.

And I don't mind a snark notice.  I just don't use them - and only rarely do I have to apologize and explain.  Your point is well taken re: hijacking.  That is why my first response is always an apology and explanation.  I have seen some folks go a different route.

"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity"

by newfie on Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 01:45:58 PM PDT

•  Is asshol-ish dick-ish? The new rules state at the (2+ / 0-)
              Kimbeaux, tommymet

first don't be a dick. But it doesn't say dicks should be HRd. It's still confusing.

give the NRA the Royal Flush join Stop The NRA

by 88kathy on Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 08:10:54 AM PDT

•  Must be slip of the finger. nt (0+ / 0-)

Mark E. Miller // Kalamazoo Township Trustee // MI 6th District Democratic Chair

by memiller on Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 07:28:22 AM PDT

•  I hide-rated it. (0+ / 0-)

I don't -- can't -- read it as snark.  It's not funny.  Especially as Kessler is a fairly common name for American Jews with German forebears.

Could someone who finds it funny explain why to someone who doesn't?  I honestly don't get it.

And "What the fuck is with the HR?" hardly seems an invitation to dialog.

Vote rape. Vote torture. Vote War Crimes. Vote with the American top 1%.

by Yellow Canary on Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 10:04:05 AM PDT

•  It's probably in poor taste (0+ / 0-)

and not funny. But does it need to be hide-rated? Just comment "ughhh, not funny" and move on.

•  no jokes are funny to everyone. (0+ / 0-)

Were you really offended? Or are you just being difficult? Do we really want a community where even the most innocuous banter is censored? So far, 14 people are saying that it is you who needs to adjust your sensitivity, not me. I'm half German by the way. I can't believe you're sticking with this HR.

•  One does not hide-rate for offense. (0+ / 0-)

And your "either/or" is mindless.

One hide-rates for violations of community standards.  Your post was either a failed attempt at humor (I never saw that until it was pointed out) or defamation couched in innuendo.  If it were only stupid, I would not hide-rate it.  It still reads as a malicious, baseless, accusation to me.  Malicious defamation can be minor, but is "innocuous banter" to only those doing the defaming.

What did you mean by your comment?

Vote rape. Vote torture. Vote War Crimes. Vote with the American top 1%.

by Yellow Canary on Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 01:31:14 PM PDT

•  I don't owe you an explanation. (0+ / 0-)

Who do you think you are? All you did is get me a bunch a recs to counter your HR. Most people when confronted with the fact that no one else joined them, and 15 people went against them, in issuing an HR, would pause to reconsider. But you know better! And now you are going to try to question me on the intent behind a comment that you didn't like? My answer is I don't give a fuck what you think of me or my comment.

•  If it is snark, label it as such (0+ / 0-)

Getting tired of trying to decipher people's intent.

We need a snark/sarcasm button here.

•  Unlike "Eisenhower" which sounds ... Jewish (0+ / 0-)

according to THIS

As fior that matter does "Kessler" ...

Kessler Name Meaning
          German, Dutch, and Jewish (Ashkenazic): occupational name for a maker of copper cooking vessels, from an agent derivative of Middle High German kezzel ‘kettle’, ‘cauldron’, Middle Dutch ketel, modern German Kessel.

Source: Dictionary of American Family Names ©2013, Oxford University Press

... who have been making mid-shelf whiskey in this country since 1888 -- Julius Kessler himself being Hungarian.
    •  doc2, I uprated you b/c I like your comment and (1+ / 0-)
      artmartin

I have no idea why anyone would HR it,

Maybe the HR was a mistake?