View Diary: Rogue PA Police Chief Calls for Military Coup to Begin Next Week in DC (327 comments)

•  I don't post a lot to Kos. What's HR? (0+ / 0-)
    •  Hide rate. (2+ / 0-)
      Remembering Jello, trumpeter

It used to be TR fro troll rate. Before that, a Nyberg 2. Sorry that last one is an old timey joke.

"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity"

by newfie on Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 07:26:54 AM PDT

•  Trusted users on DK have the option (2+ / 0-)
      newfie, PsychoSavannah

to hide a comment.

From the FAQ:

You're saying that the comment is so bad -- so disruptive or damaging to the community -- that it isn't worth even a debate, but should be deleted from the discussion as being simply inflammatory, simply off-topic, or simply a lie.
      While the comment is asshole-ish, I don't think it met that bar.

Note that doc2 commented later that it was snark.  Considering the brevity of comments, it is often difficult to determine the author's tone, and to distinguish snark from trolling.  This is why it is advisable to add "/snark" or "/sarcasm" to your comments as necessary.

Socialist? You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

by Kimbeaux on Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 07:47:15 AM PDT

•  Unless you are (2+ / 0-)
        Kimbeaux, paz3

"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity"

by newfie on Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 08:06:03 AM PDT

•  50 Grey Shades Of Humor (3+ / 0-)
          ExpatGirl, newfie, Kimbeaux
          Unless you are a snarking purist.  I am loathe to telegraph the snark.  I'd rather take any potential lumps and politely explain after.  Vive le snark!
          Not telegraphing snark does have the advantage of allowing readers to think a bit about a (potential) snarky comment.

It also, no insult intended, separates the literalists/ fundamentalists from those who comprehend and appreciate ironic, sardonic, dark or gallows humor.

That being said, I often will insert a " /s " when I don't want to derail a thread and make any part of it about me. Just my insecurity...

So, newfie, I won't ever HR any of your comments, as I may get the the laugh after some contemplation.  /s    ...maybe...

People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. - George Orwell

by paz3 on Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 10:26:06 AM PDT

•  Well know that (1+ / 0-)
            Kimbeaux

I am snarking or I am a complete idiot.  I think that covers it for me.  So either way - laugh to your heart's content.  I won't mind.

And I don't mind a snark notice.  I just don't use them - and only rarely do I have to apologize and explain.  Your point is well taken re: hijacking.  That is why my first response is always an apology and explanation.  I have seen some folks go a different route.

"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity"

by newfie on Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 01:45:58 PM PDT

•  Is asshol-ish dick-ish? The new rules state at the (2+ / 0-)
        Kimbeaux, tommymet

first don't be a dick. But it doesn't say dicks should be HRd. It's still confusing.

give the NRA the Royal Flush join Stop The NRA

by 88kathy on Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 08:10:54 AM PDT

•  Yes. I use asshole-ish because it is (1+ / 0-)
          tommymet

non-gendered.

There are several ways this community can moderate.  We can ignore comments, reply to them pointing out why the comment doesn't meet community standards and hide rate.  Just as the quality of a comment may range from excellent to egregious, our response can range from rec & respond w/ praise to HR.  Not a binary system.

by Kimbeaux on Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 08:49:30 AM PDT