View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Live Digest: 9/6 (288 comments)

•  KY: Richie Farmer pleads guilty, will face jail: (2+ / 0-)
    DCCyclone, MichaelNY

He will have to foot $120K (he misused $450K in public funds) and will be in jail for 21-27 months.  If he didn't reach this plea deal, he was looking at 10 years of prison and at least $700K owed.

"You are not machines! You are not cattle! You are men! You have the love of humanity in your hearts. You don't hate! Only the unloved hate — the unloved and the unnatural!" -Charlie Chaplin

by KingofSpades on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 08:39:14 AM PDT

•  Still a shame they didn't uncover this all in 2011 (3+ / 0-)
      WisJohn, ehstronghold, MichaelNY

The Williams-Farmer ticket would have faced a Peppy Martin 1999 style loss (where Dem Paul Patton won almost every county in the state, even the solid Republican ones in the south-central part of the state).

by KingofSpades on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 08:40:31 AM PDT

•  What happened to Peppy Martin? (2+ / 0-)
        WisJohn, KingofSpades

Ah, and just imagine the alternative history. Had Patton not fallen into disgrace, Ben Chandler would have won in 2003, and Patton would have gone on to challenge Bunning as was his plan, and given how much Bunning imploded running against an obscure state senator from rural East Kentucky, there's little doubt in my mind Patton would have won by high single digits.

Chandler, as a two term governor, runs for the open Senate seat in 2010 and perhaps manages to eke out a victory over Paul.

It's kind of like imagining "What if Sebelius had run against Pat Roberts in 2008?" "Napalitano against McCain in 2010 (having never served in Obama's cabinet), or against Flake in 2012.

"Once, many, many years ago I thought I was wrong. Of course it turned out I had been right all along. But I was wrong to have thought I was wrong." -John Foster Dulles. My Political Compass Score: -4.00, -3.69, Proud member of DKE

by ArkDem14 on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 10:39:32 AM PDT

•  Richie Farmer was (3+ / 0-)
      aamail6, MichaelNY, KingofSpades

the real empty suit if Kentucky politics. I heard him speak several times at Fancy Farm, and I started thinking how this guy graduated from high school, let alone college (if that is what you want to call UK- the joke is always that they have the best players money can buy). But he was part of the group known as the Unforgetables, and he cruised in 2003, when Ernie Fletcher was a plus, then got the other David Williams in 2007. I wonder if his jersey will still hang in Rupp Arena after this?

"So there's a time for silence, and there's a time for waiting your turn. But if you know how you feel, and you so clearly know what you need to say, you'll know it. I don't think you should wait. I think you should speak now." -Taylor Swift

by SouthernINDem on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 12:08:39 PM PDT

•  They'll hire someone (1+ / 0-)
        MichaelNY

to add on an asterisk to his jersey, I hope. lol

by KingofSpades on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 03:00:15 PM PDT

•  love Farmer's attorney's name (1+ / 0-)
      MichaelNY

Guthrie True!

Living in Kyoto-06 (Japan), voting in RI-01, went to college in IL-01.

by sapelcovits on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 04:24:38 PM PDT