View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Live Digest: 9/6 (288 comments)

•  The Congressional Obscure Caucus (4+ / 0-)

Roll Call has a list of the obscure House members.  As they point out, being on this list isn't necessarily a bad thing: these members are often able to get things done and are pretty safe for reelection.

23, male, CA-18 (home and voting there), LA-02 (resident).

by Jeff Singer on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 09:14:45 AM PDT

•  Ander Crenshaw and Sam Farr are still (4+ / 0-)

#1 in my book for "most generic."

To which many of you are probably saying, "who?" and yes, that's the point :P

•  Corinne Brown should be on the list (4+ / 0-)
      WisJohn, BKGyptian89, MichaelNY, ArkDem14

She's essentially done nothing in her long tenure in Congress.  Even worse she supports FL GOP gerrymanders so long as she gets to keep her absurdly drawn district that gobbles up just abount every minority heavy precinct from north to central Florida.

Intelligence agencies keep things secret because they often violate the rule of law or of good behavior. -Julian Assange-

by ChadmanFL on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 11:26:17 AM PDT

•  I CAN'T STAND HER (1+ / 0-)
        MichaelNY

And that reason you mention about her supporting the GOP gerrymanders in Florida. Her and Mario Diaz-Balart were trying to sue the fair amendment law in court. She knows damn well when that case that is still pending in court is ruled upon, that atrocious and unconstitutional JAX-ORL snake of a district will be dismantled.

And when it does, I hope she gets challenge. Hopefully by Alvin Brown, or some Dem state legislature from Duval.

NY-9/NJ-10; Russians can give you arms but only the United States can give you a solution. -- Anwar Sadat

by BKGyptian89 on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 12:16:01 PM PDT

•  Yeah, lets go from a progressive Democrat (0+ / 0-)

to a conservative Democrat. I'll be damned if almost every single congressperson wouldn't fight to protect their district.

•  Ideally (4+ / 0-)
            ndrwmls10, MichaelNY, jncca, gabjoh

we could wrangle two Dem seats out of Corrine Brown's.  It is uncertain though, with Republicans still generally able to do whatever they want in Florida.

•  so you support Democrats who support GOP manders (1+ / 0-)
            MichaelNY

Just so they have a super duper D district, and not being a team player at all. Regardless if her district get dismantled, it will be a D district.

SHE HAS A UNCONSTITUTIONAL DISTRICT. For some reason you can't get that through your skull. Redrawing the 5th distrct as it should be l, and will gains us 2 more districts in Central Florida. If she can't win a primary then that's her fault.

Lol I'm not surprised at all. If she wasn't a female, you probably wouldn't give a damn about what I wrote.

by BKGyptian89 on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 01:16:24 PM PDT

•  Some people keep saying this (0+ / 0-)
              Like it shames me in some way.
              •  Cause whenever somebody says something (2+ / 0-)
                MichaelNY, gabjoh

critical or bad about a female Dem, your'e the first one to say something. So like I said, I'm not surprised.

by BKGyptian89 on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 01:34:26 PM PDT

•  I apologize ndrwmls10 (3+ / 0-)
                Skaje, ndrwmls10, MichaelNY

For lashing out at you like that. But I don't know why you would support somebody like Brown is beyond me. Even if you think she's good on the policies, she's bad when it comes to looking out for homestate Dems, just so she can keep her district the way it is.

by BKGyptian89 on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 01:46:45 PM PDT

•  Corrine Brown (3+ / 0-)
                  MichaelNY, ndrwmls10, Stephen Wolf

has about as much influence over the Florida congressional map as I do.  Exactly 100% of that power is shared among the Florida legislature, the Florida governor (through veto power), and state and federal courts that handle redistricting-related lawsuits.  I never understood why people get so angry about representatives' positions on the gerrymanders.  It's not like their opposition can stop a gerrymander from happening (people on DKE gave Donna Edwards so much shit over her opposition to the Maryland map, even though it passed anyway over her objections).

As long as the courts continue to turn a blind eye to FL-05, there's nothing stopping Republicans from packing Democrats in there.  Corrine Brown could loudly join our calls for breaking up her seat, but would Republicans oblige?  No.

•  Thank you, I appreciate it. (1+ / 0-)
                  MichaelNY

I don't agree with what she did, but it's not as if it's some shocking or uncommon thing. I understand why she did it.

•  Some of us believe it should (1+ / 0-)
                ArkDem14

Because we think it's not justifiable and actually somewhat abhorrent to support people only on account of their sex.

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 02:51:47 PM PDT

•  If that was the case, I would support every single (0+ / 0-)

Republican woman and I wouldn't have been the most vocal on Tulsi Gabbard in the beginning. I wish people would get their facts straight.

•  I don't find anything wrong with supporting (2+ / 0-)
                  James Allen, gabjoh

reasonably progressive Democratic woman when applicable, even if their are somewhat more progressive men in the picture. I find it abhorrent that woman only make up 20% of Congress. I find it abhorrent that there are still many barriers in the way, especially for women of color. I will never be ashamed of what I believe.

•  I hope you answer my other question (1+ / 0-)
                    James Allen

A lot of us would be happy to vote for the member of the underrepresented class (blacks, Hispanics, women, etc.), all things being more or less equal. But, for example, I will not vote for Quinn against De Blasio, because I consider a whole host of his positions (including support for the 4th-Amendment rights of black and Hispanic young men) more important than her simply being a woman (or gay).

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 03:13:09 PM PDT

•  That is definitely a difficult case. (0+ / 0-)

From what I understand it's not as cut in dry as that, but it's still difficult for me. Luckily I don't live in NYC. So I don't have to decide and for the most part it never plays out like that.

•  I don't find it a difficult case (2+ / 0-)
                        Stephen Wolf, ChadmanFL

I care more about how much a politician helps or hurts people than whether the politician is a man or woman, black or white, gay or straight, Jewish, Christian, Muslim, Hindu, atheist, and to me, that is (or should be) the American way. If I felt differently, I'd support all the black candidates against Congressman Cohen in Tennessee, as both whites and Jews are overrepresented in the House, but his constituents, in their wisdom, feel that he represents them better than any of the people who've run against him.

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 03:27:08 PM PDT

•  That was uncalled for (1+ / 0-)
              Stephen Wolf

Extremely uncalled for, and nothing ndrwmls10 said deserved that level of personal attack.  Why can't people just disagree calmly on this site?

•  To be fair (1+ / 0-)
        gabjoh

So many Democrats in states controlled by the GOP do this it's hard to really hold this against an individual any more.  They even do it in places where Dems have some say in the matter.

Its politics; politicians are always looking out for themselves before party/constituents/policy/etc.

"What if you're on a game show one day and the name of some random New Jersey state senator is the only thing between you and several thousand dollars? And you'll think to yourself, "if only I had clapped faster." - sapelcovits

by rdw72777 on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 01:33:56 PM PDT

•  and there's no reason we can't support (4+ / 0-)
          MichaelNY, jncca, ChadmanFL, gabjoh

those who are willing to sacrifice for the greater good for the Party over those who are willing to sacrifice the good of the Party for themselves.

by James Allen on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 01:37:18 PM PDT

•  Rep. Pete Visclosky (1+ / 0-)
      MichaelNY

of Indiana belongs on that list if anyone does.

"So there's a time for silence, and there's a time for waiting your turn. But if you know how you feel, and you so clearly know what you need to say, you'll know it. I don't think you should wait. I think you should speak now." -Taylor Swift

by SouthernINDem on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 12:10:40 PM PDT

•  Surprised Rob Bishop isn't on the list (2+ / 0-)
      MichaelNY, jncca

He's really generic. The only thing interesting about him is the names for his kids: Shule, Jarom, Zenock, Maren, Jashon. Those are Book of Mormon names, but even for Mormons, that's weird. Otherwise Rob Bishop is utterly bland.

Leftist Mormon in Utah, Born in Washington State, live in UT-04 (Matheson).

by Gygaxian on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 12:52:19 PM PDT

•  interesting list (2+ / 0-)
      MichaelNY, ArkDem14

some of those folks truly are obscure even among those of us with this vexing hobby.

However, to a contingent of us on DKE/SSP, Adrian Smith (R-NE-03) is a vivid presence, not obscure, because he's the sumbitch who defeated Democrat Scott Kleeb in 2006.

A Republican is a person who says we need to rebuild Iraq but not New Orleans. - Temple Stark

by Christopher Walker on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 01:13:45 PM PDT