View Diary: Krugman: “Years of Tragic Waste.” (U.S. economic policy since '08: "...horrifying failure.") (255 comments)

•  Surprised (1+ / 0-)
    Don midwest

I'm surprised you haven't been immediately HR'd for this comment.  I suspect it will be coming.

"Love the Truth, defend the Truth, speak the Truth, and hear the Truth" - Jan Hus, d.1415 CE

by PrahaPartizan on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 06:09:56 AM PDT

•  Let them (12+ / 0-)

Truth is always a convincing defense.

We have always been at war with al Qaeda.

by Dallasdoc on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 06:23:30 AM PDT

•  I can't speak for Dallasdoc. (5+ / 0-)

My view of the President and his administration is complicated.  There is plenty I find that is positive and others that I do not.  Like most Presidents.  I personally feel he'll end up in the top half of Presidents but then I may be jaded by the absolute lackluster series of Presidents we have seen in my lifetime.  And I don't really know how lackluster previous series of Presidents have been.

But I think it is imperative for progressives to push for a better agenda.  I don't believe so much in "teams" - although in these days it is hard not to given what is offered on the Conservative plate.  I feel that Obama's performance would be much stronger if given a positive opposition - rather than the extreme negative one we have.  I  feel that his performance would be better if given a strong self-assured body of political allies rather than the cowed dysfunctional one we have.  And I feel his performance should be better in spite of the table that has been laid before him.  And sometimes he does and other times he does not.  On economics I find him particularly disappointing while happy he was in office to prevent disaster at the same time.  He's done okay - I want him to do better.  And maybe he won't because he fully embraces this semi republican approach to economics.  So be it.  We should make noise if only to encourage progressive minded politicians to obtain courage and support from that.

"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity"

by newfie on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 07:17:36 AM PDT

•  His performance would be better, also, if he (21+ / 0-)

would recognize that the "bipartisan compromise" tactic has failed him spectacularly.

A good leader changes horses when the first one is tired and worn from a long ride. A good leader recognizes sticking points and changes tactics to overcome them.

Geez, this bunch of Republican weenies cries and sobs when the White House cancels tours and the Republican weenies cannot get their constituents tickets to see the White House.

Bust the MoFos in the face. Be a leader. Hit em where it hurts. End programs or cancel bases or drop contracts or whatever it takes to get the Republicans' attention.

He won the damn election, it's his job to push ahead on Democratic principles, not to deal our principles away in futile and fruitless "compromises" which are few and far between.

Yes, his style is calm and cool. Well, ok. Maybe he personally doesn't like confrontation. I get that too. I just don't care what he personally likes and doesn't like.

He was elected to lead the country and the country needs economic progress.

by YucatanMan on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 08:43:51 AM PDT

•  I suggested calling them saboteurs in 2010. (3+ / 0-)
          maryabein, Dallasdoc, greenearth

That would have been nice, eh?

I mean it was entirely obvious. They would have had countless Jack Nicholson type meltdowns - "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!"

If politics were a boxing match - Obama and the Democrats have been holding their totally outclassed opponent up for the last 6 or 7 rounds, making it a show of it, when they should have knocked him out in the 1st round.

The 'we don't have the votes' stuff is just really sad. A movements are built upon challenging the system - grinding themselves against the gears - getting chewed up and spat out - losing legislative after legislative battle until they start to win.

Single payer should be up for a vote monthly when Democrats are in office. It should be a sick joke when it comes up, yet again to be voted down - as millions suffer without healthcare or under a costly and unfair insurance system.

Closing Guantanamo should have been pushed monthly or at least quarterly as well.

Politics is about leading, as you mention, Yuc, empowering and activating the citizen to a better future.

"We just don't have the votes." is an embarrassing excuse for not trying to foster political change.

Democracy - 1 person 1 vote. Free Markets - More dollars more power.

by k9disc on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 02:19:29 PM PDT

•  I'm with you (4+ / 0-)

On social issues, he's definitely the best President of my lifetime and quite likely the best who's ever held the office.

On foreign policy, I've found his decisions to be generally quite sound, if cautious, within the dominant paradigm of American exceptionalism and militarism. He hasn't been creative enough or enough of a risk-taker to try to break free of that paradigm and try any truly new solutions, but that's a criticism he'll have to share with every other leader of a major Western country in the last century or two.

On economic policy, he's just a New England Republican. He would probably do reasonably well at handling a thriving economy and a Democratic Congress, and he did OK at preventing a total disaster with the help of a Democratic Congress, but he's exceedingly ill-equipped to handle the current sputtering-but-not-quite-crashing economy and Republican House because he doesn't believe in enough government intervention strongly enough to bother trying to make the case.

"Let’s just move on, treat everybody with firmness, fairness, dignity, compassion and respect. Let’s be Marines." - Sgt. Maj Michael Barrett on DADT repeal

by kyril on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 11:15:07 AM PDT

•  There's nothing about that comment that (6+ / 0-)

is HR-worthy.

Economic efforts of the administration have been poor for 2-3 years now. The emphasis on compromise, as opposed to political hardball, has led the nation nowhere, yet the administration stuck to that one tried-and-failed tactic for year after year.

Leadership is actually a quality that grows as you exercise it. If you use leadership for the good of the nation, people will get that. All the well-phrased and well-delivered speeches in the world won't make any difference if there are no political consequences for not going along.

Maybe that's not Obama's style - political hardball. Ok, I get that.  But that doesn't mean he's off the hook for failure to move ahead.

by YucatanMan on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 08:37:43 AM PDT