View Diary: What's for Dinner? Otto-Pot-Taco-Chops (72 comments)

•  I inherited my mother's 6 qt. Fagor. (4+ / 0-)
    Kayakbiker, TX Scotia, ninkasi23, tapestry

It's probably close to 15 years old but is still considered "modern" and safe. I've used it several times now and it's been perfect. Easy to use and easy to clean. If I had $200 I might try a Kuhn-Rikon, but for now the Fagor is doing great.

I'm trying beans (chickpeas) in it tomorrow, and I have no doubt it will turn a 2 hour chore into a half hour breeze. I soak/cook/freeze beans at least once a week so I'm really looking forward to doing them in the PC.

I've done two risottos in the PC now and each time it's been wonderful.

It's pretty remarkable for what I've used it for so far. Next weekend is beets.

Out with the gloomage - in with the plumage!

by mikidee on Sat Sep 14, 2013 at 06:07:03 PM PDT

•  I'm hoping to demo the Kuhn-Rikon tomorrow (4+ / 0-)
      TX Scotia, ninkasi23, mikidee, tapestry

Well be making risotto, bean soup and cheesecake in the class.

Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity. Horace Mann (and btw, the bike in kayakbiker is a bicycle)

by Kayakbiker on Sat Sep 14, 2013 at 06:48:24 PM PDT

•  How was the class? nt (1+ / 0-)
        Kayakbiker

Out with the gloomage - in with the plumage!

by mikidee on Mon Sep 16, 2013 at 06:50:40 AM PDT

•  I enjoyed it (1+ / 0-)
          mikidee

The best part was not watching the Minnesota Vikings blow a lead and lose a close game.

The cook demonstrated 3 models, Fagor, Fissler and Kuhn-rikon. The black bean dish tasted great (it was liquified using an immersion blender and served with avacado and tomatoes on top as a garnish). The risotto was ok and the cheesecake seemed like more of a gimmick.

I can see a use of beans, broths and some meats but one can't simply dump all of their ingredients into the pressure cooker and steam away.  Some foods that have different cooking times and could become mush. Others can clog the PC. Mastering this quick style of cooking may require cooking some foods separately and adding them to the pot after the pressure is released.

I liked all three of the demo devices but I'm leaning toward the Fissler or Kuhn-Rikon, probably a 6 qt. I plan to read a cookbook by Laura Sass before I pull the trigger.

by Kayakbiker on Mon Sep 16, 2013 at 06:01:41 PM PDT

•  I really like the way the top fastened (1+ / 0-)
            mikidee

On the Fissler and the simplicity of the Kuhn-Rikon. The latter looked like a Moroccan tagine

by Kayakbiker on Tue Sep 17, 2013 at 04:43:05 AM PDT

•  I see a lot of people (1+ / 0-)
            Kayakbiker

cite Lorna Sass' cookbooks and recipes. Haven't tried them yet.

The salmon and pea risotto I did on Saturday involved adding the salmon and peas after the rice had cooked. The salmon turned out perfect.

When/if my Fagor bites the dust I'll look at the Kuhn-Rikon.

It's always good to not watch the Vikings. ;-)

Out with the gloomage - in with the plumage!

by mikidee on Tue Sep 17, 2013 at 05:58:59 AM PDT