View Diary: White House Bows to Chemical Companies: US consumers beware (76 comments)

•  vaccines aren't a very profitable part of the (4+ / 0-)

drug business. I was just surprised that as an example of a "huge corporation" making "insane profits" someone would toss out an example of a company who has many products, not just vaccines, and has a grand total of $18 million of annual net income. Some of the Big Pharma companies make $18 million in a day.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 10:14:09 PM PDT

•  I worked for an outfit that gets... (2+ / 0-)
      JVolvo, kmfmstar

about 80% of its revenue from vaccines.

Lot's o' government money--here and abroad included in that. And those margins tend to be smaller because they demand economies of scale.

Anyway, this company was by-far the most employee friendly I've ever been associated with. Beyond the raft of benefits, they built a million dollar gym on the property, had on-site day care (even lactation rooms for moms), spacious, meticulously groomed, grounds on which to stroll, they even built a beautiful terrace with a built-in commercial sized barbeque and refrigerated draft beer dispenser for Friday afternoon unwindings (which they paid for).

Unfortunately, they are pretty tight about who gets in the club--only "essential" employees. Alas, I worked for a sub. And they were despicable, corrupt people.

That's why I left, but that doesn't change the fundamental point. They're doing right well selling those vaccines.

•  Yep... (0+ / 0-)

Pharma wants drugs that people take a lot or will pay a lot of cash for.  Vaccines are neither - it's hard to get someone to pay a lot to protect against something they don't have yet (And I believe prices are also regulated).  I'd make exceptions for things that are common diseases and scary, like Alzheimer's or cancer - bet a ton could be made for vaccines for them, but for something either less common (Possibly because no one gets it in the US any more because everyone is vaccinated) or less serious, just not a whole lot most people would be willing to pay.

•  So vaccines are just sold cause of benevolence, (0+ / 0-)

huh?  They don't cause anything that will be treated by any of Pharmas other "products"?  Why are shots so cheap, and pushed so hard, and touted as utopian dream to eternal happy life hood?  Do you really believe that the nations pharmacies are making no profit from flu shots?  Walgreens, Target, etc. are spending money on national TV ads pushing a product for which there is no profit?

Pharmaceuticals cause side effects which are treated with more pharmaceuticals.  Like any other capitalist enterprise, more is the goal, by any means necessary.

Have you checked the schedule for a baby born within the last few years? Count em...close to 30 shots before entering preschool.  One of the most pushed is for Hep C......that's the one you get from using dirty needles and sex.  For an infant....the hospital wanted to vaccinate my granddaughter before she left the hospital.

Please save a child's life. www.signon.org/sign/sarasota-sheriffs-office

by kmfmstar on Sat Sep 07, 2013 at 07:44:12 PM PDT

•  Shots are pushed by the government, (0+ / 0-)

and doctors.  I've never seen anyone else pushing a vaccine.

As for why hep C vaccines are given to infants...  It's much easier to get a vaccine to a significant number of infants than it is to a significant number of users of dirty needles.

•  Err...wait....There is no hep C vaccine.... (0+ / 0-)
            •  So the government pays for all those (0+ / 0-)

commercials by Walgreens and Target?  Hmmmm....and if there is no hep c vaccine, why the hell was Sarasota Memorial Hospital lying to my daughter about what they wanted to inject her baby with?  They specifically said hep c, cause our reaction was WTH?  It's an infant.

Please save a child's life. www.signon.org/sign/sarasota-sheriffs-office

by kmfmstar on Sat Sep 07, 2013 at 09:13:49 PM PDT

•  I'd tend to put more faith in the CDC (0+ / 0-)

Is there a vaccine that can prevent Hepatitis C?
                Not yet. Vaccines are available only for Hepatitis A and Hepatitis B. Research into the development of a vaccine is under way.
                There may be experimental hep C vaccines going through clinical trials, but I'd think your doctor would make it clear if that were what was going on.

And I have never seen these ads you're referring to.

•  You've never seen the (0+ / 0-)

ads of the twins discussing their flu shots that they get without an appointment at Walgreens, or the ones for Target, or CVS?  Well, if you don't watch much tv, its probably better for you.

My daughter was on Medicaid when she had the baby, which might have something to do with the lack of specific information.  Sarasota Memorial is a pretty hostile place, anyway.  My husband went there when he had his heart attack and he said they treated pretty much all of the patients, especially their relatives, with scorn.  We weren't supposed to ask questions, especially of the doctors.  Asking a nurse for water was ok, though.

Please save a child's life. www.signon.org/sign/sarasota-sheriffs-office

by kmfmstar on Sun Sep 08, 2013 at 06:27:18 PM PDT

•  Let's consider three possibilities (1+ / 0-)
                Samer

1. The CDC is lying to us and there really is a Hep C vaccine that Sarasota Memorial Hospital wants to give your child

2. Sarasota Memorial Hospital is lying to you and wants to inject your child with something else for its own mysterious purposes and they are so stupid that they told you they were going to give your daughter a vaccine that does not exist instead of picking a real vaccine.

3. You were so busy being paranoid about vaccines that you did not pay attention to your daughter's medical plan and did not properly pay attention to what vaccine Sarasota Memorial was actually planning to give her.

I know which answer I would pick.

•  I think it's creepy (0+ / 0-)

that you think you know so much about a person who wants control over what they injest.  And that you are so very hostile over healthcare choice.

You belong on a right wrong blog if you want to scream in someone's face about their "stupidity" and "lack of knowledge" and "privilege" because of skepticism over something as personal as healthcare.  You read a lot into my comment that I never even said.  So your creeping me out, dude.  Are you the same guy who told me to fuck myself because I don't think babies should be drugged by their addict parents?  You sound like him.

You've gone off the rails.  Take your meds and stop attacking me.  Or keep on, your choice.  Maybe you think you are impressing someone with your "superior" knowledge.  Instead, you're way too offended by a strangers opinion.

Please save a child's life. www.signon.org/sign/sarasota-sheriffs-office

by kmfmstar on Sun Sep 08, 2013 at 06:38:53 PM PDT

•  Oh... if it wasn't one of my three options, then (0+ / 0-)

why don't you explain?

So, how do you explain why you think the hospital wanted to inject your daughter's baby with a vaccine that does not exist?

Inquiring minds want to know!  The truth is out there!

•  Why don't you ask them? (0+ / 0-)

Look, I'm done with you.  I told you what the hospital told the family they wanted to vaccinate the baby with.  If you want to carry on like this (are you out of middle school yet?) go right ahead.  See how popular you become with other Kossacks.

Rush does this shit all day long.  You belong with him.

Please save a child's life. www.signon.org/sign/sarasota-sheriffs-office

by kmfmstar on Sun Sep 08, 2013 at 08:13:24 PM PDT

•  You seem to have major communication problems (0+ / 0-)

with your daughter and her husband.

Apparently you claim they are drug addicts and drugging your granddaughter and you have repeatedly reported them and their alleged abuse of your granddaughter to state agencies which have all apparently decided your claims are groundless.

Your daughter and her husband have, in turn, apparently cut off contact with you.

Given this unfortunate history I really have to wonder how you think you know so much about how the hospital communicated with them.