View Diary: You'll eat chicken processed in China and you won't even know it (353 comments)

•  A good response but... (7+ / 0-)

I travel for my work a lot.  My kids are involved in athletics and we travel to events at least once if not twice a week.  We are mobile and cooking on the road often not feasible.

We all have different pressures and responsibilities in our lives.  Just because someone eats more processed food than someone else does not mean they do not care about what they eat.

For me, I give up about twenty minutes of my time making the sandwiches and produce a much tastier, fresher meal. It's all a matter of preference and priority.
    That is a personal luxury that you can afford and I am happy for you but do not try to shame others that do not have that luxury.  When you make those tasty sandwhiches, do you cook the meat you put on them from unprocessed foods? in less than twenty minutes? or is it processed like most of the rest of us use?

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not YET sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favour..."

by Buckeye Nut Schell on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 11:32:50 AM PDT

•  I love to cook... (6+ / 0-)

And I'm lucky enough to have a schedule that allows me to do so.  But I get pretty irritated when folks assume that people who don't have time or money to cook and get raw, organic etc. don't care about their food or are somehow just lazy. With the horrid job market and the insane pressure placed upon folks, it's kind of arrogant to assume that folks can just "budget their time differently".

•  You read into my comment what was not there. (1+ / 0-)
        splashy

The foods we choose and who prepares them are a matter of personal preference and priorities. There was no judgement attached to it, just a statement that I think is self-evident.

Not everyone can cook for themselves. Some people have no facilities to cook in. Some of us have to travel for business. Some of us have to work sixteen hour days or have other obligations that make our time not our own. Circumstances like that limit food options, for sure. But some of us just plain hate to cook our prefer to spend our time doing something else. That's a choice based on personal preference and priorities.  It's neither right nor wrong, positive nor negative. It's just a self-evident fact.

"Some folks rob you with a six-gun, some rob you with a fountain pen." - Woody Guthrie

by Involuntary Exile on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 01:20:40 PM PDT

•  Watch Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead (15+ / 0-)

It's not about shame. It's about sharing and caring. It's about working together. It's about cooperation being the superior strategy over competition. Quality is being exchanged for convenience.

The entire country, except the 1%, are under assault to accept alleged food as the norm. It is more important than ever we now critically examine what we are being sold and take steps to ensure good food for all. This means reclaiming fundamental skills like growing your own food in your own lawn or in containers, and knowing how to work with raw foods.

Incremental change is your friend. If you can set aside the time to locate one healthy recipe and prepare it and serve it. If you can do the same next week. Then need to skip a week, but do so the next week. Or if it takes two or three weeks between recipes and meals. You will eat better. You are on the road to a better life. All things happen at their own pace and only you know the demands placed upon you. Focus on the journey, not the goal, because it is less overwhelming. Claw, scramble, snarl, your way out of the pit of thinking buying convenience food is the only way. Learn others' strategies who are in similar positions. Be a teacher to share what you have learned, if you have the time.

Any time you go to the store, buy a bunch of greens and fruit, wash them, throw them into an atomic blender (vitamix, blendtec) or serve as a chef salad, if you can do this for 30 days, it will be a lifestyle change for the better. Even if you do it one day a week more than it is being done now, you will be a success. Share your goal with others to recruit support.

Failure is not about never achieving. Failure is about giving up. Being ignorant or overwhelmed or outclassed is not failure. Resignation is failure. See Palin, Alaska governnor.

•  Excellent comment, coldwynn.. (5+ / 0-)

"Incremental change is your friend", good advice for just about anything in life, as well as cleaning up one's diet...SSK

"Hey Clinton, I'm bushed" - Keith Richards

by Santa Susanna Kid on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 12:47:23 PM PDT

•  Thanks for the movie recommendation (4+ / 0-)

I've been watching it on Netflix since I read your comment.  It's excellent.

Republicans: Taking the country back ... to the 19th century

by yet another liberal on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 01:33:44 PM PDT

•  Individual responsibility is all good, but... (0+ / 0-)

that's no reason to let the mega-corporations off the hook on something like this.  We have some pretty reputable watchdogs out there, from Consumer Reports to Food/Water Watch and the Center for Science in the Public Interest.  So there are certainly opportunities to get the Campbells and MacDonalds of the world on record as to whether they will commit to not buying this ping-ponged chicken.  (Not really different than what many of us want to see with Wal-Mart's and the Gap vis-a-vis clothing -- even if we personally never set foot in that kind of retailer.)

Putting all of the onus on the individual consumer to "reform herself" is (a) not completely effective and (b) a wee bit judgmental.  Let's not get divided into camps where we argue whether raising your own birds or going vegan is the only proper response.  Consumer empowerment through information is part of the solution.

When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called "the People's Stick." ~ Mikhail Bakunin

by Sick Semper on Sun Sep 15, 2013 at 03:12:07 PM PDT

•  I roast one chicken and get three meals out of it (4+ / 0-)

I'm only feeding two people, so I serve a half a chicken at one meal, slice the breast meat from the other half for sandwiches for a second meal, pull the meat from the thigh and leg of that other half for another meal like enchiladas or chicken tacos or chicken quesadillas, and freeze the picked carcass until I have enough carcasses to make a pot of stock which will become the base for a fourth meal. Roasting a chicken takes less than five minutes to prep and about one hour in the oven at 375 F. During that hour I do other things.

I can feed four grown people or two adults and four children from one roast chicken at a large meal like a Sunday dinner. I can also cut one chicken into pieces and freeze them, using only the pieces I need for a given meal. It takes me about five minutes to cut up and wrap a chicken, but I've had a lot of practice. Occasionally I buy cut up chicken thighs on sale at my co-op, freeze them and use them as needed. I absolutely never buy prepared chicken for anything, not even sandwiches.

My choices about preparing my own food are not a luxury, they are a necessity. Fortunately for me, I love to cook.  I'm retired now but when I worked I worked 60 to 80 hours a week, traveled for business, and still spent one day a week, usually Sunday, cooking because I love to cook. I cooked enough to have meals throughout the week for those days when I was in town. Of course, if you have to travel a lot for business like I did - out of town three days out of seven - you're going to end up eating out a lot out of necessity. It's because I had to be out of town so much that I made it a point to cook when I was home. But that's just me. I love to cook.

I have a younger sister who works about fifty hours a week as a chemical engineer. She can cook well but she doesn't like to do it. She and her husband (the kids are grown) eat out six nights out of seven. Her fridge and freezer are stocked with prepared foods for the meals they eat at home. That's her preference. I don't judge her or anyone else for making those choices. As I said in my initial comment, it's all a matter of ones preferences and priorities.

by Involuntary Exile on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 12:53:16 PM PDT

•  I don't love to cook (0+ / 0-)

but I've found & developed ways to cook balanced meals from whole foods without spending much time in the kitchen. I live alone which helps -- no more having to satisfy five different tastes and demands. I often cook a chicken, or a pot of lentil or pea soup, and eat off it all week.

The most time-consuming thing I do is trimming and cutting up vegetables from my little city-yard garden. But the flavor is so much better that it's worth it.

•  I agree, Buckeye and you make an excellent (1+ / 0-)
      Mgleaf

point.  Convenience is a necessity for many people.  To suggest that corps. should not be regulated is blaming the victim.  I'm not saying that such posts are intended to blame the victim, they simply do, because not everyone can avoid purchasing processed foods.

Please save a child's life. www.signon.org/sign/sarasota-sheriffs-office

by kmfmstar on Sat Sep 14, 2013 at 03:27:19 AM PDT