View Diary: Bloomberg condemns de Blasio interracial family, endorses Quinn, contempt for poor (145 comments)

•  not mean, (5+ / 0-)

justified.

I'd love to like Quinn, but unfortunately her policies will only benefit those who don't struggle to afford NYC rent and aren't at any risk of being stopped and frisked.

•  My neighbor said this just yesterday. She is (2+ / 0-)
      a2nite, sidnora

upset that their is a female, lesbian running for Mayor that she can no way see fit to vote for.

I would not vote for the woman at gunpoint.

"Southern nights have you ever felt a southern night?" Allen Toussaint ~~Remember the Gulf of Mexico~~

by rubyr on Sun Sep 08, 2013 at 01:01:13 PM PDT

•  I've felt that way for a long time. (0+ / 0-)

by sidnora on Sun Sep 08, 2013 at 02:11:24 PM PDT

•  "there" ugh. Yes, sad. n/t (1+ / 0-)
          sidnora

by rubyr on Sun Sep 08, 2013 at 02:49:42 PM PDT

•  Actually, I misspoke. (0+ / 0-)

I would vote for her at gunpoint, in a general election. But it looks like I won't have to.

by sidnora on Sun Sep 08, 2013 at 02:54:29 PM PDT

•  I don't know what I would do. I would not (1+ / 0-)
              sidnora

vote for any Republican, so I guess I would vote for her or not vote, something I have never done. I don't really think I could vote for her, though. Would have to see on the day. Hope I won't have to face that, as you say, we may not.

by rubyr on Sun Sep 08, 2013 at 03:03:55 PM PDT

•  Wow, that's quite an indictment (1+ / 0-)
        rubyr

nosotros no somos estúpidos

by a2nite on Sun Sep 08, 2013 at 02:12:22 PM PDT

•  She was elected on a very strong progressive (2+ / 0-)
          a2nite, orestes1963

gay rights platform and almost immediately became Bloomberg's lackey. She has done a lot of damage here. Her facilitating him having a third term (to kiss up and also so she and the city council could have one) was opportunistic and immoral. I realize that I sound strident but I have very strong feelings about the damage she has done and all of the people that believed in her that she has betrayed.

by rubyr on Sun Sep 08, 2013 at 02:53:22 PM PDT

•  She's been corrupted, too bad nt (1+ / 0-)
            rubyr

nosotros no somos estúpidos

by a2nite on Sun Sep 08, 2013 at 02:56:38 PM PDT

•  Yes, she has been corrupted and has corrupted. n/t (0+ / 0-)

by rubyr on Sun Sep 08, 2013 at 03:05:13 PM PDT

•  How was he a Dem? He sounds like a liberal R (1+ / 0-)
                rubyr

With money being more important than people & being an bigot against POC & the non 1%.

nosotros no somos estúpidos

by a2nite on Sun Sep 08, 2013 at 03:19:17 PM PDT

•  He was a member of the Democratic party (0+ / 0-)

here in NYC. Then, he wanted to run for mayor and knew he  could not win as a Dem, so he changed party affiliation to Repug, then a few years after his second term started, knowing he was going to try to break term limits and run for a third term, he became an Independent.

Before 9/11, he had not a chance to win. No one knew him as a politician. After 9/11, Rudy Guliani, who was termed America's mayor because Bush did not step up after the attacks, endorsed Bloomberg and convinced (scared them to death) people that Bloomberg was the only person that could navigate the city through the financial crisis created by the terrorist attacks. For a long time, most people of all parties liked him. I never did. Then, he got out of control with his need for control and people changed their views.

Your words -- "He can call himself whatever but he sounds like a racist dictator, namely an evil racist RW R." are the truth about him.

by rubyr on Sun Sep 08, 2013 at 03:50:18 PM PDT

•  Additionally (1+ / 0-)
                    rubyr

he was running against Mark Green who is one of the most disliked politicans in NYC (except among the little old ladies).  Green shot himself in the foot when Giuliani floated the idea of postponing the election because of 9/11 (that day was actually NY primary day; the primary was postponed).  Freddy Ferrer, another Dem candidate, outright refused, saying he'd welcome Giuliani's assistance, but did not agree that the legislative process should be suspended.  Green came out of that looking like weak.

•  So people vote for evil Bloomberg because he was (1+ / 0-)
                      rubyr

NOT someone else.
                      Sounds stupid to me. I though New Yorkers were smart.

Never mind.......

nosotros no somos estúpidos

by a2nite on Sun Sep 08, 2013 at 05:02:34 PM PDT

•  No (1+ / 0-)
                        rubyr

There were a number of factors in play.  NY was shell-shocked after 9/11.  People huddled in public spaces, posted flyers of missing loved ones, and walked around the city in a daze for quite a while.  Bloomberg presented himself as an above- politics businessman who could get NY in order (understandably, tourism was way down and Giuliani, despite years of huge suprluses, left the city bankrupt).  To too many NYers, the Dem candidates did not inspire confidence.  I do not offer this as a justification for voting for Bloomberg; I never voted for him.  It was a strange time in NY.  Once he was ensconced, he essentially bought off all opposition.  He spread his money around to groups that would have opposed his policies, thereby ensuring compliance (shamefully, I would argue).

The most compelling example is that when Bloomberg ran the last time, neither the Dem establishment (most notably, Christine Quinn) nor any of the press endorsed or supported the Dem candidate for mayor.  The common wisdom was that his re-election was a done deal.  In the end, it was a much closer race than predicted [sic].  I would argue that if the Dem party rallied around its candidate, Bloomberg would not have won.

•  Mark Green won the Dem primary. Somebody, (0+ / 0-)

besides little old ladies, liked him. He also was within 3% points of winning. :-)

by rubyr on Sun Sep 08, 2013 at 06:36:15 PM PDT

•  One need not like a candidate to vote for him (0+ / 0-)

I would count myself among that group.  I was being somewhat facetious about the little old ladies because they were a strong voting bloc in support of Green.  He started out as an advocate working with Nader and NYPIRG and did good work.  It was his personality that was off-putting.  It is a fairly common opinion of him.

•  Sadly, Quinn doesn't deserve it (1+ / 0-)
      orestes1963

She really had a lot of power as speaker and just played member items hopscotch $2 million at a time while pushing through Bloombergs $60 Billion budgets with hardly an 'excuse me sir'.